Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fair Price to Change Fork Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 06:58 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior

About an hour job, pretty easy. Got a shop manual?

Old 09-06-2010 | 07:02 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I did it twice now with the write up that Iclick has....and it's a lot harder with a electraglide.

Old 09-07-2010 | 05:54 AM
watercop
|
Cruiser

The click "here" link does not work on Iclick's post. Would be interested in reading this if anyone else knows where its at.
Thanks

Old 09-07-2010 | 05:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by watercop
The click "here" link does not work on Iclick's post. Would be interested in reading this if anyone else knows where its at.
Thanks
Yeah, I copied the link wrong. It should work now.

Old 09-07-2010 | 06:47 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jday53
I run my own shop

Where?

Steve

Old 09-07-2010 | 07:16 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

This is a practical DYI, with good results.

Old 09-07-2010 | 07:48 PM
watercop
|
Cruiser

Thanks Iclick, I read the other thread in its entirety. Gotta be careful when someone goes outside the manual recomendations. Youre explanation was straight forward, plenty detailed, and plenty of good discussion and feedback. I'm going to give it a try. I had new lower chrome forks done about 7500 miles ago, and assume the dealer put fresh oil in...but who knows.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:30 PM
nemick
Road Warrior

Just don't freak out if the old oil is a nasty, smelly black goo. The stock oil is some weird stuff. I used HD Heavy on my '09. Worked great.

Old 09-08-2010 | 05:15 PM
watercop
|
Cruiser

One last question and I'll let you guys go on to more important stuff. Manual says 11.1 oz a side for the the road king, 10.6 for all others. On my RKC, looks like I just remove the nacelle..no big deal there. My question is, is the drain on the bottpm of the fork the phillips head screw on the back side or the screw going up from the bottom? and by "pump the forks" as the oil is added, are you suggesting to just push on the handlebars with the weight of the bike on the ground or perhaps use my lift and and lower the weight of the bike up and down with the lift?
Thanks much for all the fine help

Old 09-08-2010 | 05:30 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by watercop
One last question and I'll let you guys go on to more important stuff. Manual says 11.1 oz a side for the the road king, 10.6 for all others. On my RKC, looks like I just remove the nacelle..no big deal there. My question is, is the drain on the bottpm of the fork the phillips head screw on the back side or the screw going up from the bottom? and by "pump the forks" as the oil is added, are you suggesting to just push on the handlebars with the weight of the bike on the ground or perhaps use my lift and and lower the weight of the bike up and down with the lift?
Thanks much for all the fine help
THe drain is up on the side - not the bottom bolt.

I gently - and I mean gently (don't ask how I know) pushed the front end down - basically collapsing the forks. I think this helps move the oil deeper into the fork and provides the room to get all the oil in.

I did it without the vacuum pump - but I bought one to do the rear shocks - OH, Yeah the rears will need some attention too! The rears are a bigger improvement, at least it felt that way with my big ****. Search for those threads or check here>

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ifference.html

or

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ansfusion.html

I think if I were to do the fronts again - I would use the vacuum pump to keep it clean and easy.

Autozone has a really well made system for like $30 - Good Luck, and enjoy the new ride (it will feel like a new one).

Quick Reply: Fair Price to Change Fork Oil?