Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m sure I screwed myself!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy I’m sure I screwed myself!

Just want to confirm for myself how bad it was. For sometime I was getting that slow weak crank before finally cranking over and starting. Suspected the battery, but wasn’t 100% sure since sometimes it would crank right over. Well Friday at lunch wasn’t sure I would get it started before it finally did, so decided it is time and when I found my volt meter wasn’t working I took my bike to the dealer; yes I know my first mistake, but I, for the most part trust my dealer and cannot say they are a bad one. I’ve been on here for sometime and gleaned from others that the Harley battery is about the best with the fewest problems so decided when the time did came I would get the Harley battery. Anyway it did turn out to be the battery and was told a new one would be $168 freaking bucks out the door (they did install it supposedly for free). Now I also know from forum info battery prices have gone up, I was expecting something around $120-130, but man $168. I think I screwed my self by not checking other prices out there and comparing, and did what I knew after the fact was break the forum rule, I went a head and said screw it (or myself) I’m here and just do it. Is the dealer cost for these things about right? Would I have actually saved that much by trying another brand, or having one shipped? Maybe this info all will help others out there. BTW the bike now cranks like a new bike so at least I solved the problem.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM
rdoucet
Cruiser

I think the only way you would have screwed yourself is if you left the dealership without the new battery and ended up stranded somewhere. I have not priced a battery for a while, however, $168 dollars is better than trying to push start a touring bike.

Last time I needed a battery think I paid around $130 but that was two years ago.

Think of it this way - you paid for peace of mind and the bike fires right up now

Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
maduxfn31
Tourer

I had a battery replaced in march of this year thought I would go the cheap way and got one at Advanced Auto 85 bucks then I had to add the acid and let them charge it for 24 hours all was good,went to fire up my bike yesterday and nothing tested everything out,(not thinking that a battery 6 months old could be the problem) sure enough went to the same store I bought the battery at the put a test on it and tell me battery needs to be replaced,ok no problem,then they tell me the battery only has a 6 month warrany on it and if I want a new one it will be another $85.00,so after a few choice words I walk out,call harley they want $116 plus tax not bad for a quality battery but instead i found a good quality with a 2 year warranty for 125 bucks at the indy shop,put it in and works great,moral of the story is you get what you pay for

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a sealed generic battery off Ebay thats the same size battery that HD sells for 72 bucks with free shipping.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Nope you didn't screw yourself. If you paid $168 for the battery and it last four years, the cost of the battery is $42/year. If you got a new battery for $40 less, then you lost $10/year. No big deal.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
chiefparry
Tourer

Not feeling too bad so far, thanks. I did not know how old the old battery was until I found it etched with 10/2005, so it lasted 5 years making me think that there is something being said for the Harley battery.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts
Default Sounds about right price

You may have since you did not bother to check terminals. You do not mention how old battery is. Mine was a few years old and ever now and then I would set a slow crank for just a second until first cylinder hit and helped. I assumed battery was getting weak and pulled seat and realized battery terminal was not loose but also not tight. Charged it and carried it to auto zone and they load tested it for the cold crank amp spec I gave them. Showed OK and I put it back in and put the tender on it. Next day it was green light. Lot of trouble? Yes but I try to stay green as possible and no longer use my bike for long trips so at worst a phone call will get me a jump from the wife or son. However since its three years old I will pull it about ever 6 months and get the CCA check at AutoZone. Its free and when I need one will probably use Walmart's battery if its a gel like the one in there. If it need tubes I will do some more research. Saw a few users on the Forum who said it was OK.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

I think you made the wisest decision.

I was recently out on the new bike 2010 ultra. Returned home and had an after thought to go check the trip milage, so out to the garage and flip the switch over to acc. checked fuel , remaining milage, trip 1 and 2 and total milage. I didn't plug into the battery tender and the next night I hear the siren go off.(siren has back up power) The siren sounded because the battery was totally dead. When I checked the milage I left the switch in acc mode. There was a CD in the player (volume muted).
The maintainer would not charge it after two days . I searched prices for a replacement battery and found about 150 average for a HD battery and about 110 for the non HD battery.
ultimately, I removed the battery and placed it on the fast charger for an hour, then switched to slow charge overnight, checked voltage next morning and had 13.5 volts.
I got lucky the battery bounced back and works perfect.

I now double check the ignition sw. and make sure I plug into the battery tender after each ride.
Going with the recommended battery is wise. I didn't research the cold cranking amps, output of the charging system yada yada and so on but there is way more to consider than getting the cheapest price.

A battery maintainer is worth investing in if you don't already use one.
The ebay route could be worth it but I find myself asking ,do I have the time and patients . Like what if ....what if some one ships a bum battery , now I have to fool around shipping it back , again yada yada

Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I started out on Harley's back in 96 with a Fat Boy - battery shorted out at 1.5 years - on top of Tioga Pass - thank God I had Road America - this was a Sunday evening - got towed home to Turlock for free - 2000 bought a WG - This is the year I started using a Battery Tender (EVERYTIME) I parked the bike in the garage - Sold the WG in 04 and it had the same battery - still good. Feb 04 I bought a EG - again, battery Tender plugged in Everytime I parked it. Spring of 09 I was getting ready to do my first Coast to Coast (6,000 + miles) the 04 battery was still strong and good - decided after 5 years, I better not take a chance, so I broke down and bought a new HD battery - that was 1 year 5 months ago and all is still good.

Moral of this story - I am sold on the fact that a Battery Tender will prolong the life of a HD battery ....

Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Nope you didn't screw yourself. If you paid $168 for the battery and it last four years, the cost of the battery is $42/year. If you got a new battery for $40 less, then you lost $10/year. No big deal.
The H-D batteries are excellent. They last 5 or 6 yrs frequently.

The times I've seen complaints on this forum ref batteries it's almost always aftermarket batteries that are part of the equation.

To save $40 bucks it's just not worth it IMHO. Get a good reliable battery and give no more thought about it.

Quick Reply: I’m sure I screwed myself!