Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indianapolis Police Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question for all the LEO's out there:
If you were on the scene of an accident like this (but NOT involving a Police officer), and it was deemed necessary to have a blood alcohol test taken. Isn't there a list of approved locations to have this test taken at? Seems to me that if a civilian were to be in this same situation, that this test (the same one given to officer Basard) would hold up in court, as the officers on sight evidently "should" know proper procedure. Why else would an officer, thought to have killed an innocent civilian, be taken to an "unapproved" facility for testing? Having said that, I think I read somewhere that it was the person administering the test that was in question, but again, if a civilian went through the same exact series of events, I would bet hard earned cash that the results would differ, and the test would stand up as admissable in court. Am I wrong on this?
I have known too many officers in my life to fall to the easy way of condemning all LEO's as a**holes, and crooks. I have known some good ones, and a few bad ones. It happens. But when a bad one comes along and get's caught breaking the law, I think a public flaying is in order. It's that "higher standard" thing.
Police officers have a thankless job, and I for one appreciate what they (the good ones) do.
I live in the Indianapolis area, and I hope they loose the key when they send officer Bastard away.
Unfortunately, too many people are paying the price for his mistake. Not just the families of those involved, but also the local community at large. It will take a long time before trust can be restored in our local police force and governing agency, if at all.
IMO

Last edited by Ridin'withTheKing; 09-10-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I honestly believe, and I hope I'm right, that they just weren't thinking along the lines of a criminal DUI prosecution at that point. They were thinking administrative action. That's the only reason I can think of why they'd have taken him anywhere else.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Guntoter
I hope this site does not become yet another police bashing site like so many others have turned into.
Then I think cops need to work on their reputations huh. They are suppose to protect and serve. Not harass, kill, drive drunk on duty etc. Seems like our cops have turned into our government. Give them a bit of power and they lose control and become the thing they were trying to prevent others from becoming. Go to youtube and do a search for "bad cop" or "cops breaking the law" and watch some of the vids, if it doesn't **** you off nothing will.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimmySGC
Then I think cops need to work on their reputations huh. They are suppose to protect and serve. Not harass, kill, drive drunk on duty etc. Seems like our cops have turned into our government. Give them a bit of power and they lose control and become the thing they were trying to prevent others from becoming. Go to youtube and do a search for "bad cop" or "cops breaking the law" and watch some of the vids, if it doesn't **** you off nothing will.
Give me a break. I don't harass, kill and drive drunk, nor have I lost control. Of course a cop here and there will screw up...COPS ARE HUMAN. We weed out the bad ones as soon as we know they're bad.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:05 PM
gunslinger14647
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin'withTheKing
If you were on the scene of an accident like this (but NOT involving a Police officer), and it was deemed necessary to have a blood alcohol test taken. Isn't there a list of approved locations to have this test taken at? Seems to me that if a civilian were to be in this same situation, that this test (the same one given to officer Basard) would hold up in court, as the officers on sight evidently "should" know proper procedure. Why else would an officer, thought to have killed an innocent civilian, be taken to an "unapproved" facility for testing? Having said that, I think I read somewhere that it was the person administering the test that was in question, but again, if a civilian went through the same exact series of events, I would bet hard earned cash that the results would differ, and the test would stand up as admissable in court. Am I wrong on this?
I have known too many officers in my life to fall to the easy way of condemning all LEO's as a**holes, and crooks. I have known some good ones, and a few bad ones. It happens. But when a bad one comes along and get's caught breaking the law, I think a public flaying is in order. It's that "higher standard" thing.
Police officers have a thankless job, and I for one appreciate what they (the good ones) do.
I live in the Indianapolis area, and I hope they loose the key when they send officer Bastard away.
Unfortunately, too many people are paying the price for his mistake. Not just the families of those involved, but also the local community at large. It will take a long time before trust can be restored in our local police force and governing agency, if at all.
IMO
Hi Ridin',

In California, there are slightly different protocols for different counties. However, the general guidelines are: 1) A breath test given by a certified officer, which most are shortly after graduating their Academy. 2) Blood sample taken at a hospital or by a certified phlebotomist service (using a particular vial with anti-coagulant/preservative), which comes to your location. Many hospitals don't like to do the blood draw, as their staff doesn't receive sufficient compensation for their court room testimony.

While I am not condemning nor condoning the actions of these officers (I don't have any factual information, as I wasn't there), another possibility for having the draw performed at an unapproved location may be the officer's lack of experience on the graveyard shift, when a great deal more DUI activity takes place. He/she MAY not have known/recalled the particular protocol. And yes, I am sure at one point they were advised of the protocol. However, like EVERYONE, we are subject to forgetting details, too. It is POSSIBLE the experienced staff and managers remained at the scene, leaving the blood draw to the junior guy. Of course, the flip side is they tried to bury or corrupt the evidence, in which case they should all be dealt with through the legal system or through a transparent internal investigation.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

gunslinger,
Thanks for the reply. I can see how the details you described: ( may be the officer's lack of experience on the graveyard shift, when a great deal more DUI activity takes place. He/she MAY not have known/recalled the particular protocol. And yes, I am sure at one point they were advised of the protocol. However, like EVERYONE, we are subject to forgetting details, too), could happen. I too have been guilty of these details in my own business, when the tasks or particulars aren't used on a daily basis.
It will be interesting to see how this whole scenario is played out. I think it will raise interesting points of view in future cases in the civilian segment, as to protocall in DUI cases. As tragic as this whole situation is, I pray that something good will one day come from this.
Again, thanks for being candid with your reply.
Ride safe...

Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stro1965
We weed out the bad ones as soon as we know they're bad.
Really, seems like the one in question here is getting away with murder. Smells like one get off the hook to me. Doubt if I'd gotten the same luxury as he did. Way to weed them out.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimmySGC
Really, seems like the one in question here is getting away with murder. Smells like one get off the hook to me. Doubt if I'd gotten the same luxury as he did. Way to weed them out.
Seriously? You know he's getting away with it already? He MIGHT be getting away with a DUI, he'll answer for the rest of it.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AZCFH
"If I can harass and intimidate these kinds of folks to move away from my community" end quote...how come the average joe would go to jail if we did that?even if i were in ther right? not a good way to prove your point. two wrongs don't make a right..hopefully the drunk cop will get what he deserves ,no more than if the average joe did the same thing..it's a tragedy for the innocent mans family..i'm not cop bashing so hope no leo takes offense and gets all wound up..
You have a problem with harassing and intimidating the kind of people I mentioned????? And I use the terms loosely. A better word/term might be "give lots of attention to". As in, I do so without breaking the law. I'll bet you wouldn't mind me "harassing/intimidating" these kind of people if they assaulted your daughter and stole your bike!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin'withTheKing
IMO
Another scenario could be the individual who gave the breath test (some places the jailers are certified) or drew the blood (lab tech) were not properly certified. Certifications lapse sometimes for whatever reason. In the case of a jailer giving the breath test. First, he would have to have been certified at some point to know how to do it. Maybe he changed departments, or quit for awhile then came back to work, and his certification lapsed without him/her realizing it. There may not be anything underhanded going on here at all. Of course it's a juicy story and everybody likes to jump to conclusions.

Quick Reply: Indianapolis Police Protest Ride