Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indianapolis Police Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer91
Personally, I'd rather see the same, or more on a memorial ride, than on a protest ride.

I'm sure the LEO didn't mean to hit anybody ...... bikers ..... gang bangers ....... little old ladies in their way to bingo, or a school buss full of kids.

He screwed up big time, but (IMO) the accident is not a 'thing against bilkers'.

However ....... if the IPD is blowing it off, and not taking the same action they would if it had been the bingo players etc. ....... then I do agree that a protest from fellow bikers is totally appropriate.

The whole thing is just a huge tragedy, and one that spells out the need for a different tact within the IPD training/discipline.
I think I understand where you are tring to come from - However, if you go back and read some of the News stories on this case. Several High ranking LEO's got demoted for their actions on this accident - all surrounding how poorly they handled the first few hours of the investigation. Here is a link showing just how bad the dept is looking..

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-bisar...,6933178.story

Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
firstborn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cop in question has done a disservice to every member of his community by failing to protect those that depended on him and betraying those that stood beside him as fellow LEO'S. That being said I see that alot of people have taken this as an opportunity to lash out at LEO'S for their own personal reasons, no problem with that either every person should be allowed to express themselves.

However instead of just ranting maybe they should go on a ride along to see first hand what really goes on inside of a police department. Better yet they should become reserves and try the job themselves to see if they can do a better job. Both options are within reason but I'm sure most will stick to playing it safe and continue to rant anonymously behind their computer screen.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by firstborn
The cop in question has done a disservice to every member of his community by failing to protect those that depended on him and betraying those that stood beside him as fellow LEO'S. That being said I see that alot of people have taken this as an opportunity to lash out at LEO'S for their own personal reasons, no problem with that either every person should be allowed to express themselves.

However instead of just ranting maybe they should go on a ride along to see first hand what really goes on inside of a police department. Better yet they should become reserves and try the job themselves to see if they can do a better job. Both options are within reason but I'm sure most will stick to playing it safe and continue to rant anonymously behind their computer screen.
I used to ride when I could with an old friend I thought he did a good job, but he did some things, and was forced to resign...won't get into it.
I feel that every cop that was on scene should be terminated, if they couldn't tell that this guy was 2 times the legal limit then how can they be expected to tell if anyone is drunk, and it was just brought to light that on scene the officer removed a black bag from his car, and took it, I believe that there was alcohol in the bag, but we will never know....the video shows that he got the bag, and the dog out of the car, and he didn't let either out of his possession.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by firstborn

Yes, because a ride-along will surely give us such great insight that we will all want to make excuses for pieces of trash who BREAK THE LAW and wear a badge. Nobody is saying ALL cops are bad, but if you are sworn to uphold the law and turn around and break it - you are WORSE than the people you harass, intimidate and arrest everyday!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Look guys, being a cop is a lose-lose situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. In the past, I have been on the wrong side of the law. But never have had any issue with cops in particular. I wouldn't want their job, and most of you wouldn't either. Yet their job is necessary to maintain peace. Sure, they screw up sometimes, show me any group of people that doesn't.

For instance, in Danville va last night, two guys were fighting in the street. A woman runs to a store where 2 cops were. (lol). They go to break it up, one of the guys pulls a gun and shoots the cop. The shooter becomes the shootee, and died.

They do put their asses on the line, as do firefighters. But if they intentionally break the law, they should be held to a higher standard. As should politicians, but they think their **** doesn't stink.

If this went down was it has been printed, that cop knew damned sure he wasn't following procedure when he went to that BS clinic. Should be the end of his job, I am sure there were hospitals who would be glad to get that revenue. There should be no accepted excuse for him, whatsoever, if he knew, and was covering or attempting to cover for another LEO.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Macker
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Seriously, you aren't familiar with RICO? Simple enough. Wikipedia does the best job of putting it into plain english. From the first paragraph of the summary:

Under RICO, a person who is a member of an enterprise that has committed any two of 35 crimes—27 federal crimes and 8 state crimes—within a 10-year period can be charged with racketeering.

See that "person who is a member of an enterprise" part? That means you don't have to have done anything wrong yourself to be guilty. Think you could find a police department or two somewhere in the USA (Or a PTA? Or a pro sports team?) whose members have committed two crimes in the past 10 years? Everybody is guilty according to the law.

Here's the link to the whole thing

It was signed into law in 1970 by Richard (I am not a crook) Nixon, who didn't have a paranoid bone in his body.
Wiki is sometimes a good resource but unfortunately people don't get all the facts or jump to erroneous conclusions as you seem to have done.

You mention being "charged" then make the statement that you don't have to do anything wrong to be "guilty" and that "Everybody is guilty according to the law." Big difference between charged and guilty.

Regardless, your statement is not true as written. It has to be shown you were a participant in or conspired to participate in one of the illegal acts that come under the statute. You're suggesting that if I'm a machinist working for a manufacturing company whose owner, CFO, and shop foreman are involved in mail/wire fraud, bank fraud etc, that I'm automatically guilty too just because I work for the company.

There are several elements required to make a case and they are often very difficult to prove, in addition the cases are expensive to prosecute. That's why federal RICO cases have to be submitted to the Organized Crime and Racketeering Section of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office in D.C. for review and approval before proceeding.

This guy deserves prison time if found guilty and others should be punished as it seems some have been.

However, IMO, I don't see this as a RICO case.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gunslinger14647
As angry as the average rider/citizen is, I can assure you the real police officers here (including me) are even angrier! Why? Because it is stupid actions such as these (if they indeed flesh out) which gives the rest of us a black eye. I've been on 15 years (less than some, more than others) and I'm a sergeant. I've had/known a few officers who have behaved at a less than acceptable level, and I seen them disciplined or fired. I've done both a few times and, despite what some may believe, I HAVE placed cuffs on the truly wrong ones. I agree there are a few bad apples out there, but don't lump the majority of us in with the riff-raff few. This would be the same as saying every Vietnam vet must be a baby killer/ rapist because a few took part in My Lai (as a Marine, I would take exception to this also). Let's just be fair and say this is a screwed up situation and allow the FBI to complete their investigation. As has been said earlier; if there is actually a cover up, charge them all. The real cops among you will agree.
Well said brother! Due process applies to EVERYONE!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablo22
you are WORSE than the people you harass, intimidate and arrest everyday!

THESE WORDS SAY MORE ABOUT YOU THAN YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY ABOUT LEOs.

I don't harass, or intimidate anybody! Oh wait, yes I do, I have no tolerance for Sex Offenders, especially against children. Just below them is thieves! Taking something from somebody who worked and paid for it is a lowlife thing to do. (And there are several other type crimes I could mention.) If I can harass and intimidate these kinds of folks to move away from my community, or I can find a way to put them in jail, then I'm gonna do it!!! It's my job!!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
AZCFH
Cruiser

"If I can harass and intimidate these kinds of folks to move away from my community" end quote...how come the average joe would go to jail if we did that?even if i were in ther right? not a good way to prove your point. two wrongs don't make a right..hopefully the drunk cop will get what he deserves ,no more than if the average joe did the same thing..it's a tragedy for the innocent mans family..i'm not cop bashing so hope no leo takes offense and gets all wound up..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pizzed bout this.......

it's just not right.........

Quick Reply: Indianapolis Police Protest Ride