Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indianapolis Police Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyNoob77
Bill, "breathalyzed" at the scene is not the correct term. The unit used on scene or in the field is a preliminary breath test (PBT) it's results(the numeric result) in most states are not admissable in a court of law, only a pass or fail. Therefore those units are not required by most departments to be standard issue. Physical tests administered on scene like the walk and turn, one leg stand, and horizontal gaze nstagmus, are what determines whether a suspect is arrested or freed to leave. That being said, every department in every state have their own policy and procedures. In our state, any motor vehicle operator involved in a fatal crash suspected or not must submit a sample of blood, breath, and or urine for impairment testing. Bill to answer your question, yes but the only tests admissable in court must be performed by a certified breath test operator or for blood or urine nurse, lab tech, phlebotomist or doctor.
FYI: same for Arkansas. Everybody in a fatal accident gets tested. Also, our implied consent form reads "test or tests", so we can request more than one. Example: suspect can't find his rear end with both hands and the breathlyzer says .000 or less than .08%, you take a blood or urine sample and send it to the lab for a toxicology test. Also, for about a year or so now, we give two breath tests and take the lower of the two, refuse one of the two and you are charged with "refusal".

Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clint55
Maybe you should just ask reeeeeeeeeeeal nice instead of demanding.
For over 27 years now, that is what works best in my experience!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 AM
ultra big mac
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nemick
The majority of my friends and fellow riders are cops and not a one of them feels that the cop in question has a leg to stand on. Believe it or not, many cops feel that the odd bad apple does nothing but give them all a bad name. As in any walk of life, there are bad apples or persons who do not belong in places of authority. It's just so sad that a tragedy such as this has to be the way to shine the spotlight on one particular bad apple.
But I guarandamntee ya, not ONE of those "good cops" would put cuffs on a fellow officer unless they were given a direct order from the chief while he is standing right there!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the cop got away with murder just like oj simson

Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Most of all I feel sorry for Mr Wells and his wife and children. The officer has not even
said he is sorryfor this in public. Most of all Man up and admit your mistake.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I agree. If you do the crime, you need to do the time. LEO or NOT! If it was one of us, it would certainly be a different story.
Ditto!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I have no way of knowing what the procedure in Indy is, but LEO's in MY county have 4 designated hospitals to do blood, urine, and any other test they need in that type situation. Indy has a larger population than my whole county, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have designated places to do the same. I know the Sheriff and the two city Police Chiefs here well and would bet my life on any one of them not only firing the perp on the spot but also the officers involved for not following the proper procedures! In the case of the Sheriff, he's already fired and jailed one of his own for DUI and recomended the maximum sentence to the judge.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
gunslinger14647
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As angry as the average rider/citizen is, I can assure you the real police officers here (including me) are even angrier! Why? Because it is stupid actions such as these (if they indeed flesh out) which gives the rest of us a black eye. I've been on 15 years (less than some, more than others) and I'm a sergeant. I've had/known a few officers who have behaved at a less than acceptable level, and I seen them disciplined or fired. I've done both a few times and, despite what some may believe, I HAVE placed cuffs on the truly wrong ones. I agree there are a few bad apples out there, but don't lump the majority of us in with the riff-raff few. This would be the same as saying every Vietnam vet must be a baby killer/ rapist because a few took part in My Lai (as a Marine, I would take exception to this also). Let's just be fair and say this is a screwed up situation and allow the FBI to complete their investigation. As has been said earlier; if there is actually a cover up, charge them all. The real cops among you will agree.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by leohd
the cop got away with murder just like oj simson
I realize it is all too often used as an expression, but there WAS no murder, as that requires an intent to actually kill somebody. And while the BAT results being tossed will lower the level of crime he can be charged with, I would HOPE to hell that the District Attorneyy's office up there is competent enuff to get a felony conviction on this guy.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dogcop727
So it is ok to generalize most cops as bad because of SOME getting away with crimes they commit? MMMM so would you accept a generalization about the military when the news reports of wrong doing from time to time. Just not right is it!!!

Dogcop727-as long as RICO statutes are legal, the answer is "yes". The government has ruled that it IS okay in our country to hold everybody in the group accountable because of what one bad apple does. What's good for the goose....

Last edited by Sharknose; 09-07-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Indianapolis Police Protest Ride