Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indianapolis Police Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Yes, he did.
The alcohol wasn't forced down his throat.
You're barking up the wrong tree if you're going to try to justify a drunk, cop or not.
I thin the question pertained to the arresting Officer supposedly knowing that the place he brought the guy to for a Blood Draw would have somebody not certified to do so perform the draw.

Had the doctor performed the blood draw instead of somebody from the medical lab, then it would have been deemed to have been a legal draw.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,656 Likes on 581 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Yes.
And the arresting officer conveniently took him for blood alcohol testing from someone that wasn't certified.
Sooooo...the drunk driving charge disappears.

Funny how that works, huh!

Originally Posted by mike5511
So you KNOW he did that on purpose with malicious intent!

Originally Posted by Badpiggy
Yes, he did.
The alcohol wasn't forced down his throat.
You're barking up the wrong tree if you're going to try to justify a drunk, cop or not.

Badpiggy, I think mike5511 was referring to the cop that took the intoxicated officer to an unqualified location for a BAC, but the answer is the same. It wasn't an accident. The officer knows the procedure and chose to screw it up. Bad choice on his part.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Everybody loves to hate the cops. Till they need one.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The fact that the other officers "didn't expect he was drunk" on the scene, and then they take him to a place that has NEVER done a blood draw for IMPD for investigating an accident.. It just stinks to high hell...

I think every officer on the scene, should have been fired, not just demoted, they didn't think he was drunk , so how would they be expected to tell if anyone is drunk EVER, he should have been breathalyzed on scene..

Last edited by Bill03E; 09-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in accident reconstruction for over 7 years.....have been in crime scene for nearly 4. We never......NEVER give an on scene breathalyzer on a subject when the filing of criminal charges is a distinct possibility. It is ALWAYS a blood draw....part of the reason being that if blood is drawn, there is always some left over for when the defense asks for a second test. You don't have that option if you opt for a breathanalysis.

Did they know in advance that the blood draw would be thrown out? I don't know....but if an investigation proves that they DID know, then those that knew what would happen need to be disciplined. If they DIDN'T know? Then due process (yes, the same due process of law that EVERYBODY is entitled to) played out.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If he was breathalyzed on scene could they then take his blood after that?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM
HarleyNoob77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, "breathalyzed" at the scene is not the correct term. The unit used on scene or in the field is a preliminary breath test (PBT) it's results(the numeric result) in most states are not admissable in a court of law, only a pass or fail. Therefore those units are not required by most departments to be standard issue. Physical tests administered on scene like the walk and turn, one leg stand, and horizontal gaze nstagmus, are what determines whether a suspect is arrested or freed to leave. That being said, every department in every state have their own policy and procedures. In our state, any motor vehicle operator involved in a fatal crash suspected or not must submit a sample of blood, breath, and or urine for impairment testing. Bill to answer your question, yes but the only tests admissable in court must be performed by a certified breath test operator or for blood or urine nurse, lab tech, phlebotomist or doctor.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RICO the whole bunch. That's what THEY do.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
So you KNOW he did that on purpose with malicious intent! I can tell you that is not the first time something like that has happened. I know we in LE are supposed to be perfect and never make a mistake or make bad decisions, but the fact is HUMANS make up the ranks in LE, and therefore are as prone to screw ups as anybody else (some more that others). I am NOT taking up for the drunk SOB (IF that was the case) who hit the bikers. Hang'em high if that was the case! I would also advocate punishment for the ofc who screwed up the BAC, IF it can be proven he did it on purpose or even if he SHOULD have known better but didn't, no matter what he claims.

Rightly or wrongly; members of ANY group tend to band together to protect one another when the "fit hits the shan"!
++1 It's a given that in most jobs, people "cover" for each other and not always a bad thing, BUT in the covering come the consequences. No doubt he "should" have known better and my gut tells me he more than likely did, but in the event he really didn't, then he shouldn't have been on the street in the first place, should he?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM
dogcop727
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
Amen Bro!!!
Seems half of the 'local' force are 'bad apples' here. They sure know how to protect their own!!!
So it is ok to generalize most cops as bad because of SOME getting away with crimes they commit? MMMM so would you accept a generalization about the military when the news reports of wrong doing from time to time. Just not right is it!!!

Last edited by dogcop727; 09-06-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Indianapolis Police Protest Ride