Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix for less than satisfactory amp set-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fix for less than satisfactory amp set-up

A few months ago I installed a popular after market amp and a pair of Focal speakers.

Although I got a great boost from the amp I was never totally happy with the sound. After doing a bit of digging I found that Dragonfly Cycle Concepts use a hi low adapter into the RCA inputs - despite the fact that the amp they use has high level inputs. I spoke with one of their installers and he was adamant that it made a BIG difference. I figured what the heck, bought the same hi lo that they use except off Amazon for $10 (was available direct - no longer appears to be). Today I installed it and all I can say is wow!

In case anyone else wants to give it a go the adapter is the PAC SNI-35.

I haven't ripped the amp apart to understand the difference in design but I can only assume that the high input design of the amp leaves something to be desired.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the info; so what "popular" amp are you using?

Carl

Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Thanks for the info; so what "popular" amp are you using?

Carl
I don't think it actually matters - as far as I have learned they're all more or less the same design and I don't want to disparage one over another by naming the one I bought. As far as I'm concerned it could be an ARC, ELF, J&M etc.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

It's top secret!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm toying with the idea of sending my stock HK radio to Iron Cross to have them install the RCA outs on the back so I can connect to my amp (ARC) that way. I have heard this is a better connection than the speaker outs.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by marvincbr
I'm toying with the idea of sending my stock HK radio to Iron Cross to have them install the RCA outs on the back so I can connect to my amp (ARC) that way. I have heard this is a better connection than the speaker outs.

I think this is the fundamental issue, not the manufacturer of the amp

Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 AM
FXDTim
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to match the impedances and voltage levels of the output and input circuits. i.e you can't connect a speaker output (low impeance, high voltage) to a high impedance, low voltage input because you'll over-drive the input and clip most of the signal.

That means you have to have an imepdance matching adapter.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
The RCA outs are a better signal since the HK amp's distortion is avoided; if you use the speaker level output you get that distortion sent to the amp.

I had ICA repair a software problem and had them install the AUX plug in the rear. Didn't think I'd be buying an amp so I passed on the RCA output option. Three months later I installed the Arc 125.2 amp, and regret not doing the RCA output mod when ICA had the head unit.

I'm not an audiophile and a motorcycle is a poor environment for listening to music; but, for the cost of the RCA mod, I wish I'd done it since the amp would get an audio signal with less distortion.

Carl

Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDTim
You have to match the impedances and voltage levels of the output and input circuits. i.e you can't connect a speaker output (low impeance, high voltage) to a high impedance, low voltage input because you'll over-drive the input and clip most of the signal.

That means you have to have an imepdance matching adapter.
Exactly right. That, supposedly, is the point of the high level input of the amp - it just doesn't seem to do the job as well as the hi-lo I bought - and perhaps the path between the RCAs on the amp is cleaner than the path between what ever electronics sits inside the amp to handle speaker level inputs.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
A few months ago I installed a popular after market amp and a pair of Focal speakers.

Although I got a great boost from the amp I was never totally happy with the sound. After doing a bit of digging I found that Dragonfly Cycle Concepts use a hi low adapter into the RCA inputs - despite the fact that the amp they use has high level inputs. I spoke with one of their installers and he was adamant that it made a BIG difference. I figured what the heck, bought the same hi lo that they use except off Amazon for $10 (was available direct - no longer appears to be). Today I installed it and all I can say is wow!

In case anyone else wants to give it a go the adapter is the PAC SNI-35.

I haven't ripped the amp apart to understand the difference in design but I can only assume that the high input design of the amp leaves something to be desired.
ok... bought one. now what? does it come with instructions?

Quick Reply: Fix for less than satisfactory amp set-up