Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Misconception?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Actually with respect to warranty work motorcycles, cars, trucks etc. the dealerships and techs do get paid. Win-win? Not really. They get paid based on what the Company deems the alloted time to do the repair.

So the company says "1 hour" to replace the wiper fluid on your SG but due to unforeseen complications it takes the tech "3 Hours". The dealership and tech both eat those 2 extra hours. So, not condoning it but maybe it helps just a tad to understand the reluctance of dealers to want to do warranty work.
If the book says it takes 1 hour to do the job, the 1 hour is all I'd pay. I don't care why it took the tech longer. Not my problem. (But then I do 99% of my own labor).
One thing I have heard and believe is that the MOCO doesn't pay the same hourly rate as customers and they don't pay the 1 hour (or whatever minimum). I also caught a car dealer that told me the failure wasn't covered by warranty, I asked for the used parts and the tech said they needed to return them as part of the warranty claim. They were charging me and claiming warranty.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually the MoCo pays warranty work at a rate less than if you brought the bike in and paid the service departments advertised labor rate. This is why some dealerships act the way they do towards doing warranty work. If a dealership has bad techs and they take longer than normal to "fix" a warranty issue then the dealer ship takes it in the rear. After doing this too many times they will eventually try to shy away from doing warranty work and want you to pay for the repair by trying to put off doing the repair(s) until after the warranty expires.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCripps
I have heard a number of people comment on dealers not wanting to do this or that under warranty because they are "wrenching for free". I would think it would be just the opposite. Don't they want warranty work because the MOCO is paying them to do the work? Isn't that how it really is? I can understand the fact that they may not get paid as much as if a customer brings a bike in for "regular" maintenance and that they have to justify to the MOCO the fix, but they still have to be making money, correct?

Thanks for any knowledgeable replies.
Warranty work is almost always good for a dealer, it's only free if they are bad at paperwork, which a lot of places are. The down side is it takes longer to get paid