Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rivet Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
MickeyB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rivet Tool?

My friend has a '91 Ultra that has a broken saddlebag lid due to theft. He has a new painted and pinstriped lid that we need to install. The hinges and latches all use small rivets. The rivet heads sit flush with the hardware but we can't quite figure out what tool is used to mushroom the stems.

A call to the Harley dealerships was no help of course. Anything older than 5 yrs. and they deny any practical knowledge at all.

Any help appreciated,
Mike

Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a driven solid rivet (not pop). THey come in dome head (universal) and flush head variety. A "bucking bar" and "rivet gun" are used to set these or a rivet squeezer. You can use a couple ballpeen hammers to set them but it is risky as it is easy to damage the surrounding material. Do a google search for setting aircraft rivets or setting solid rivets and it should give you some help. Looks like you're in Colorado or I may be able to help in person.
Pagan48 (Aircraft Mechanic)

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (09-11-2019)
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM
MickeyB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pagan48
Probably a driven solid rivet (not pop). THey come in dome head (universal) and flush head variety. A "bucking bar" and "rivet gun" are used to set these or a rivet squeezer. You can use a couple ballpeen hammers to set them but it is risky as it is easy to damage the surrounding material. Do a google search for setting aircraft rivets or setting solid rivets and it should give you some help. Looks like you're in Colorado or I may be able to help in person.
Pagan48 (Aircraft Mechanic)
Thanks for the reply. The way the ends are mushroomed out it has a hollow space in the middle which to me means they weren't bucked. I think you hit the nail on the head with "rivet squeezer." Now, just to find one!

Mike

Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure your dealer has the riveter... most here do & yes it is a speical one. Take the lid to the dealer & have them install the lid latch. Should'nt cost more than a few bucks, if any (my local dealer did mine free). Then get the premium hinges, they screw in instead of rivet and look better too.

Last edited by 07FLHT; 09-04-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 on what 07FLHT said. IIRC, the tool is a "blind" rivet tool and simply squeezes the rivet with a die of the appropriate size to mushroom the rivet. I had a tech at the local dealership do it for me; same type rivets are used for tour pak hinges and lid latch hardware.

Carl

Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can confirm it's a rivet squeezer. If you wanted to buy the tool, it's about $175 or so. My dealer wouldn't put the rivets in when I rebuilt my tourpack after repainting it, and I really couldn't justify the cost, so I bought some Stainless Steel rivets that worked with a regular rivet gun. Looks great, and I really doubt you can tell they are not the blind rivets.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

Would a 1/4" chicago screw work? They have them at True Value hardware in black or aluminum.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

go to your local airport FBO (fixed base operator) that does aircraft maintenance...I'm sure someone will have no problem bucking a few rivets..
Or call one

Being in Aviation, I've helped quite a few people out for riveting needs...instead of buying

The following 2 users liked this post by katobird:
r-bar-j (09-15-2019), unclerog (09-11-2019)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
FlyBD5
Cruiser

I know this is an old thread, but an aviation pop rivet will do. In another universe I use them to build BD-5J Microjets. LOL!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM
alame
Tourer

Originally Posted by katobird
go to your local airport FBO (fixed base operator) that does aircraft maintenance...I'm sure someone will have no problem bucking a few rivets..
Or call one

Being in Aviation, I've helped quite a few people out for riveting needs...instead of buying
squeeze it up with Knipex pliers, we do it all the time on helicopters, nice neat job with no effort

Quick Reply: Rivet Tool?