Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Fairing Speakers

For those of you that have installed speakers (e.g., Hogtunes) in their lower fairings, does the wiring installation effectively prevent you from removing the fairings when you want to ride without them? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

No, because the speaker wiring for each speaker plugs into a harness at the center of the engine guard, and it is the latter harness that goes into the fairing.

You can go to Hogtunes website and view the pdf installation instructions for the kit.

Carl

Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I'm going to be installing Hogtune speakers in lowers on my SG this winter.
Going to have my HD tech activate the fader option in the HK radio for the lower speakers. Found a ultra overlay harness cheap to plug into.
Otherwise it looks like running the 2nd amp would be needed, but I didn't want to spend anymore $'s.
Planning on using quick disconnects on the + & - speaker leads so that I can remove them anytime.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer

It occurred to me that having quick detach wire leads doesn't entirely solve the issue that I raised. After watching the Hogtunes installation video, I can see that in order to remove the lower fairings with the speakers, you will need to remove the speaker itself in order ot unscrew the bolts that hold the lower fairing to the engine bar. In fact, I'm guessing that my Quick Detach Kit will no longer be useable with the speakers because the Quick Detach bolts are too long such that they will hit the back of the speaker. Consequently, while it may still be possible to remove the lower fairings with Hogtunes speakers, it will take a bit more effort and time. Any disagreements with that?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
For those of you that have installed speakers (e.g., Hogtunes) in their lower fairings, does the wiring installation effectively prevent you from removing the fairings when you want to ride without them? Thanks.
The answer to your original question remains "NO," the wiring doesn't "effectively prevent you from removing the fairings (lowers) when you want to ride witout them."

Other than the wiring question/issue, I didn't see any other in your OP.

If you are in doubt about whether the bolts in the quick disconnect fairing lowers kit will prevent installation of speakers, try a new thread or contact PEZ at Hogtunes or both. I don't have the kit, but I also don't have any problems using an extension and a socket to reach the nuts inside the glove box.

Good luck with your inquiry.

Carl