Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out the Redline

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Changing out the Redline

I have been using Redline Heavy Shockproof since the 5000 mile service on my bike.The bike now has 53000miles and is going in the shop today to replace the shift shaft seal for the 4th time.
Going to switch to Amsoil Severe Gear to see if it make any difference on the seal.
What do you think?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm starting to be convinced that for some reason, certain bikes like certain oils. I have SYN3 in my bike and it has smoothed out the shifting nicely. This is the same oil that some riders say is terrible for their bikes. If you are doing the same kind of work for the 4th time, I would have ditched that oil brand sooner. Switching out to another type at this point is a logical course of action. Years ago, everyone liked that super thick gear oil. Now Some don't. I was afraid of the SYN3 because it is not like molasses, but so far, the bike seems happy...and if the bike is happy, I'm happy.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not a mechanic but I can't believe the shaft seal problem is from the Redline. There are so many people that run it(me) I'd think this would be a pretty big problem for a lot of people.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I also find it hard to believe the oil is the problem.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 30,000 on my 05RK with Redline in all 3 holes. No seal problems for me.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM
CroK
Banned

I also don't believe the oil is the problem...

The splined shifter shaft has no bearing/bushing. I believe it simply rides in the bored casing, with a seal to avoid leakage. With 53,000 miles on the tranny you could suspect that the bore in the casing has worn and/or possibly the shifter shaft. Or that the seal was nicked on installation from rubbing across the splines on the shaft.

Suggest to your mechanic that (or ask) if he/she wraps the splines with electrical tape before slipping the seal over the shaft. If that seal fails, then I would think about checking the wear on the shaft and bore...

Just thought of another possible cause...
The spacer/washer between the the shift arm and the seal might have a small knick or burr which could eat up a seal, look at that closely also.

Last edited by CroK; 09-04-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm right there with you. My bike has 52K and it just had to have the tranny pulled out as the needle bearings walked on the shaft causing this leak to get really bad. I have been running Redline shockproof for 4 years and my mechanic said don't run Redline. I am switching to Amsoil.

It was the quad seal on my ride, not the shifter shaft seal.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I also don't believe the oil is the problem...

The splined shifter shaft has no bearing/bushing. I believe it simply rides in the bored casing, with a seal to avoid leakage. With 53,000 miles on the tranny you could suspect that the bore in the casing has worn and/or possibly the shifter shaft. Or that the seal was nicked on installation from rubbing across the splines on the shaft.
I dont think its a casing problem unless it came that way from the factory.It started leaking at 10000.
The last replacement included a new shift shaft.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I would highly doubt it would be oil related.

I think you'll be swapping out the Amsoil sometime in the near future though once you see it doesn't stack up to Redline.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt very much if it's related to the oil; if it was I'm sure there'd be many other complaints about it. I've been using it for years and swear by it but that's neither here nor there, just my personal preference. If you've been using the same shop (mechanic) and he's replaced the seal 4 times and also the shaft and it keeps going out, that might be something to look at....

Quick Reply: Changing out the Redline