Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 thru Stage 3 Air cleaner question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Sibs
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Stage 1 thru Stage 3 Air cleaner question

Hi.
I picked up my first twin cam, FLH Classic.
Its an 02 totally stock bike.MINT shape with 8,000 miles on it
Im trying to understand stuff here and would like to know what the stage 1 thru 3 is all about. I see some guys running V&H mufflers with stage 1 aircleaners and some with Stage 3. Before I go and start working on my ride Im just doing my homework.
I have alot of questions so Ill ask them as I come upon them regardles how stupid they might sound.

Thanks guys in advance for any imput I can get.
AL

Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same process of changing the stock air breather cover with a Willie G. cover that I just bought yesterday. My '09 Ultra Classic has a Stage 1 kit with a download. The new Air breather is made up of a mount with a round filter that is not in an enclosure like the stock setup.

I'm not familiar with what makes up a Stage 2 and 3.

There are no dumb questions. Only dumb answers.

Last edited by shortride; 09-04-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stage one includes a non oem air cleaner that increases airflow, any variety, A aftermarket exhaust that either increases flow and/or back pressure, and most commonly a download, or tuner of some form to get rid of EPA restrictions.

A stage two includes stage one and cams, and usually a big bore job of some form, though really it is just cams.

A stage Three includes Stage 1, stage 2 and headwork to increase flow, change compression or in some way modify the heads to allow a more radical cam.

There is a stage IV but most people think it is just more radically altered stage 2 and 3. It is also used to define when a turbo or nitrous is added to the bike.

If you are looking for any other information you are always welcome to post but a wealth of information is available by searching the forum as well. Welcome to the site, just a warning you will spend more money if you spend alot of time here.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:24 AM
DooZ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as I understand it, the stages have nothing to do with the AC other than they all include an aftermarket/SE AC for better airflow. As I interpret the OP's ?, there isn't AC's out there that allow more airflow over others? I'm not considering the stock set-up.