Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid dealer/salesman tricks....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No offense but you had to have known this was coming. A "good deal" is about as subjective as you can get. You might think a good deal is 3k below MSRP and his is MSRP. In a situation like yours I'd have negotiated the price over the phone and left a deposit with my CC to show good faith. If he wasn't willing to do that, you'd know he wouldn't deal.

Originally Posted by Steamchicken
Called a salesman at the only dealer in Victoria Canada and asked if I drove the 3 hours to his store would he give me a good deal on a bike over me driving to another dealership miles away again...he said yes and look him up when I arrive.

When I got there and asked what was the best deal he would make on a bike I wanted he said the MFSR price was the deal...he pissed me off and I left....

He could have at least told me that before I drove the 6 hrs round trip....

Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 PM
cohp19
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is so common!!! Just think about it!!! You go to trade your bike to your local dealer and they lowball you after you been fathfull to them bringing friends to buy new bikes and buying parts for them for a while and when the day come in to trade they treat you like ****!!! then you think fu++it i am going across town to that other dealer that you been just a few times and they treat you like they know you for ever!! You get more for your bike and they cut you a good deal!!! WTF!!! sometimes i think!! Do they comunicate on the computer and give information to the other dealer that you triying to buy a bike? Is this a set up so you still buy from this people? IF IT IS!! Be smart and shop around!! dont desperate you will get a deal it just wont be from the dealer that you used to buy from!! YOU WILL SEE!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

i wen to the dealer to buy an extended waranty on my 2008 flht about 2 weeks before the origional one was to expire. I was told the guy who sold them was busy and just to make myself comfortable in the showroom. of course a salesman comes over to try a pitch. (mind you-I was actually ready and willing to buy a 2010 flhtc and just trying to decide for sure).

I told the saleman that I really like the "new" seat and the newer frame and I am on the fence. the sales man says "oh you have an 08' you can get this seat for your bike!" and "ya the frame is better but they have bagger braces". I say "already got a brace but am still thinking about the 2010" so he says "ya, the frames are nice". Nut'n. he dope didn't even TRY to sell me the bike.

So I'm sitting on a Flhtcu and out comes the young finance manager who sells the waranty's. He says "hello sir-you wanna come in and talk about the waranty plans?" so I say "sure unless you wanna stay out here and sell me bike!" the salesman and the finance kid just laugh. I was dumb founded. what a couple of *****. i went back two days later and bought the flhtcu from a different salesman.

i was throw'n down all the signs and they didn't even TRY.!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that the smaller dealers seem to want to negotiate a little more than the 'mega-stores'. The 'Mom & Pop Shops' always seem friendlier also. Seems a 'loaded' bike isn't worth any more than a factory stocker to them. I always sell my 'old bikes' outright and negotiate with cash money. If I don't get the deal I'm looking for, I'm not afraid to go elsewhere. There is always someone, somewhere willing to take your money!!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Uncle Ernie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have been happy just to start talking about a deal. When I was ready to buy a Street Glide I went to the local dealer, fully expecting to ride off later with a new one. When I got there, they were having a frickin corn hole tournament! Had all the bikes pushed off on either side and the place was full of people who could give a s**t about motorcycles. Saw a couple of the salesmen off to the side shooting the breeze, they saw me and then proceeded to ignore me for the next 20 minutes. Screw 'em, I went to a dealer 70 miles away and got a hell of a deal. I'll never set foot in that place unless it's an absolute emergency.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2008 I bought a metric bike new, rediscovered my love of the road, felt I made a huge mistake, and decided I had to get an ultra. Long story short, I knew I was going to take a bath on my metric trade, however the big question was how big a bath I was going to take. The closest Harley dealer absolutely insulted me by offering a third of what the bike was worth and then wanting full price for some used ultra's. The next dealer was a little better, but only offered half of what the metric was worth. I was about ready to scrap the whole idea of getting my dream bike, but thank god I have 4 or 5 Harley dealers with in 50 miles of my home. My 3rd dealer offered me a 2008 ultra at a screaming deal and only soaked me for a grand on my trade. The bike had just darn near every extra upgrade I wanted to add to her at the time of purchase and also only had 2086 miles on it. The name of that dealer that gave me the screamin deal is Eastside Harley in Bellevue, WA.

The only issue I have with the bike is that I thought it had everything I wanted, however, I have already invested another grand in extra's and the list keeps on a growing. Bagger brace next on the list, figure on having it with in a few days.

PS. I don't mind paying fair price, I just don't want to pay for the dealers shop, house, car, bike, and high taste in the ladies all on one purchase

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you have to wonder how these guys survive at all, I've walked out of so many dealerships because the clowns in there insist on talking to ya like you're not all there. I've been riding longer than most of the current reps have been alive and I don't appreciate some punk talking down to me.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,326 Likes on 1,452 Posts

I've been riding and buying bikes for over forty years and can not understand how some of these Harley dealers survive. I mean from outright refusal to give a price quote on a used bike, or offering to sell me a new bike at two grand over MSRP, to me showing up at 0700 for a service appointment only to find that they don't have the part they were supposed to install. I was in the middle of trying to buy a used police bike from a dealer when the salesman (I thought) I was dealing with took a phone call and just BS'd for ten minutes while I stood there. Finally I walked out, drove to the other nearest dealer and ordered a new Road King which I still own.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I was calling around for a 2011 FLTRX 103 Sedona Orange in July. I found one but the salesman would not quote me a price. He said the paper work didn't come in with the bike. But by the time I got there with my trade in,60miles one way, he would have the paper work. WTF!! I asked him what the low/high book on my trade in. He would have to see the bike before quoting any prices. WTF. I just ordered from my local HD & had to wait until the end of Oct for it to come in.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never had paid a set up fee either

Quick Reply: Stupid dealer/salesman tricks....