Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals and Slip-Ons with NO Fuel Manager??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duals and Slip-Ons with NO Fuel Manager??

I have an 08 that is all stock and found a set of used 4" Cobra Slip-Ons and installed them last night. Great sound out of the right pipe but would be a lot better if that same sound was coming from both pipes. So now I would like to add true dual head pipes and nothing else at this time. I have always heard that you can change slip-ons or A/C without adding a fuel manager but if you do both you will need to add one. I would like to just add a set of true duals and see how the bike does from there with just the slip-ons and truel dual headers. I was suprised that the bike seems to run a little smoother and better throttle response with just the slip-ons. The heat does not really bother me now and I love getting almost 300 miles per tank so if I do not need a fuel manager with just adding slip-ons and dual headers that would be good. Later if I want to add a little more I will get the PCV and A/C from Fuel Moto.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Honest Abe
Advanced

I'm Sure Others will chime in with their feedback. I go by the rule that if you did not increase the fuel/Air Intake you should be fine. However to take full advantage of your setup and maximize performance I would recomment you get a PC.
Your motor is exhaling a lot better now, and because the motor is able to exhale a lot better, that means it can take more air/fuel mix in. (Which means more power). and for that you will need a better air intake and a fuel mangenment system. Or $400 at the stealer for a stage 1 download.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure you will get more feedback shortly and will be able to make your decision.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The heat may not bother you, but it will damage your engine. Get a PC.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:09 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

Anyone else?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Ultrathunder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a wrench, I will say get a P/C, Harleys run real lean to begin with , by adding slipons, it will make it run even leaner, and start to damage your engine,

Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If you install duals - gonna need a tuner. Shop around & see if you can get a decent deal on both (headers & tuner), or triple UG (headers, tuner & breather). You & your scoot will enjoy the difference & then you're set for future upgrades too...

Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

absolute on the PC... I cant beleive the heat difference when I added the True-duals, stage one breather and Power Commander (PC-V) - I used FuelMoto - they even matched pricing for me.
Good luck.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

When I added my PCV from Fuel Moto my mileage dropped about 3 to 5 miles per gallon. Jamie can get you a map for better fuel mileage. You can either switch maps on the fly or use your laptop and load your new map. Your bike will run better with PCV, not necessarily faster but more responsive and cooler. I noticed the difference in heat (right thigh and calf) right away. I don't have an oil temp gauge so I don't know how many degrees but it is cooler.