Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salesman made me walk away...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer pulled me aside the other day and told me that my '11 RG in Merlot is scheduled for late October.
Funny thing is that I had not ordered it yet.
Now that is what I call service.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Being in VA and dealing with a few of the dealers around here, I have to ask which dealer it was? Welcome to the forum. I like the denim black myself, get what you want even if you have to order it!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 AM
audettd
Tourer

Hate to say this but their job is to sell. Understand that not everyone coming into Harley knows 100% what they want. I've found being very very straight forward with the sales people buys me time. I tell them I'll come find you if I have any questions. I don't like sales people much either....but its their job

Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by audettd
I don't like sales people much either....but its their job
As a lifetime sales and marketing professional I probably take note of this type of stereotypical comment more than if I had not chosen this career. Be assured it's not a secret that only a very small percentage of all salesmen are good salesman. That said, if you "don't like sales people" it's safe to say you've never met a good one.

I'm sure there are some very good dealer salesmen. Keep in mind for the best part of 20 years Harley dealers didn't have to sell bikes. The Harley Community ran to their favorite dealer on a regular basis to make a deposit and get in line for bikes that wouldn't be delivered for a year. The demand for new bikes outstripped supply. How much of an investment in a sales team would you make if all they had to do was take orders?? Now things have changed and so eventually will the dealer sales force. Just my .02.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sure the salesman works on comission, so he only makes money if you buy today, not 3 months from now. That is why he was pushing so hard selling a bike they had in stock.

A good salesman would have tried to dealer trade for you when you told him what you wanted. Some sales guys are just lazy that way.

Rant away, I hate the games most salesmen play too.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get what you want. The denim paint(s) dont typically fade. BUT YOU CAN NOT treat them like gloss..... They do require slightly different cleaning and maintenance is all I have heard about.

I was looking at a denim fatboy but my jaw dropped when I saw the Ice Blue Pearl...

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Dammit Grizz!!!! Spent enough time looking at your avatar I had to go back and reread the OP!
I have a very hard time scrolling past that avatar.

Mesmerizing

Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know if it's close to you, but check out Waugh HD in Orange, VA. They're the only dealer anywhere near me that I trust. PM me if you want details.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Kevinm40
Advanced

Originally Posted by Finnster1
I'm sure there is some validity to his statements....Denim Black is a bit less forgiving that gloss paint.....cant buff out scratches...
OMG, then Denim must be wet toilet paper thin. If I even look at my gloss black RK it scuffs the finnish and hours of buffing can't get it out. The finnish on my 2010 is horrable. I have only had it since May and the lid covers look like they are years old.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by Finnster1
So.....I walked into my dealer knowing what I wanted....

I am new here (hello) but I have owned 5 Harley's since 95' so I am not new to the game.

I told the salesman that I wanted to buy a 2011 Street Glide with the 103" option in Denim Black. He said, "great" he checked his inventory and after learning that a Denim Black wouldn't come in until late November he proceeded to try to sell me Vivid Black. Nothing against Vivid Black but I clearly knew what I wanted. He did a long pitch on how Harley hasn't yet "admitted" all the problems with the Denim Black and how I wouldn't be happy with the color and that it will turn gray in less than a year. He said that Harley wont warranty the color and that they made a HUGE mistake and that he cant sell anything denim.

I was put off by his lame/see-thru pitch that I walked away. He coulda easily taken my deposit but almost made me question my decision to the point that I was put-off.

These are tough times for all......bikes are a luxury and I was shocked that he tried to make an immediate sale over deferring a definite sale?!?!?!

Just wanted to vent.....sorry.

I like Denim Black....it's not for everyone but I like it!
Where in Virginia are you? It sux that you can't buy what you want. Obviously a very mis-informed order taker (NOT a salesman)

Quick Reply: Salesman made me walk away...