Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salesman made me walk away...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been frustrated by a showroom joker before I just went up to another and say please don't waist my time this is what I'm looking for....would you like to make a sale?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell for a living. My customers are loyal because I am looking out for their interests as well as mine. And I never bullsh!t them, ever. If they lose faith in my word, it is over.

spiz

Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

No validity at all. My son's black denim 06 Street Bob with 26K of riding everywhere including the Alaskan Highway up and back. He just hoses it off and wipes it off. Looks like new.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Finnster1
So.....I walked into my dealer knowing what I wanted....

I am new here (hello) but I have owned 5 Harley's since 95' so I am not new to the game.

I told the salesman that I wanted to buy a 2011 Street Glide with the 103" option in Denim Black. He said, "great" he checked his inventory and after learning that a Denim Black wouldn't come in until late November he proceeded to try to sell me Vivid Black. Nothing against Vivid Black but I clearly knew what I wanted. He did a long pitch on how Harley hasn't yet "admitted" all the problems with the Denim Black and how I wouldn't be happy with the color and that it will turn gray in less than a year. He said that Harley wont warranty the color and that they made a HUGE mistake and that he cant sell anything denim.

I was put off by his lame/see-thru pitch that I walked away. He coulda easily taken my deposit but almost made me question my decision to the point that I was put-off.

These are tough times for all......bikes are a luxury and I was shocked that he tried to make an immediate sale over deferring a definite sale?!?!?!

Just wanted to vent.....sorry.

I like Denim Black....it's not for everyone but I like it!
That wasn't in Danville by chance was it?

About 10 or 12 years ago, a farmer went into the Chevy dealership on Riverside Drive and told the salesman he wanted a brand new Silverado with all the options. The salesman grabbed the farmer by the arm, kept showing him plain jane trucks, no or few options. Said 'this is the truck for you', etc. The farmer said no, I want THAT one. The salesman eventually PO'd the farmer, and he walked out.

He went to the Ford dealership about 2 miles away, reached down into his bib overalls, got a wad of 100's (nearly $20,000 cash!) and said I WANT TO BUY A LOADED TRUCK! They sold him what he wanted, and the Ford guys called down to the Chevy dealership and told them to send all the farmers over to them. Was a big joke around town for a long time, lmao.

Never talk down a customer. Let him talk, and make him happy.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So.....I walked into my dealer knowing what I wanted....

I am new here (hello) but I have owned 5 Harley's since 95' so I am not new to the game.

I told the salesman that I wanted to buy a 2011 Street Glide with the 103" option in Denim Black. He said, "great" he checked his inventory and after learning that a Denim Black wouldn't come in until late November he proceeded to try to sell me Vivid Black. Nothing against Vivid Black but I clearly knew what I wanted. He did a long pitch on how Harley hasn't yet "admitted" all the problems with the Denim Black and how I wouldn't be happy with the color and that it will turn gray in less than a year. He said that Harley wont warranty the color and that they made a HUGE mistake and that he cant sell anything denim.

I was put off by his lame/see-thru pitch that I walked away. He coulda easily taken my deposit but almost made me question my decision to the point that I was put-off.

These are tough times for all......bikes are a luxury and I was shocked that he tried to make an immediate sale over deferring a definite sale?!?!?!

Just wanted to vent.....sorry.

I like Denim Black....it's not for everyone but I like it!
Vent all ya want............Sounds like he needed to sell what he had....

Long but my last salesman encounter....

Afew weeks ago I went to buy a 2011 F250 and went to one dealer and they had the trk I wanted so I walked in with my 2 boys and talked to a salesman about the new F250...I could tell he was eyeing me and thinking I couldnt afford it being I was dressed down and my boys well lets say they were dirty,boys will be boys....The salesman never even ask if I wanted to test drive it,so we left and drove 46 miles down the road to another dealer with the same trk but black insted of grey(color wasnt the issue but the inside was),the salesman asked if i wanted to test drive it and i did...a hour later I had a F250 4x4 w/6.2 SC cab......Drove it to the 1st dealer and need I say more.

Salesman are just that...some pre judge ya and others go that extra mile to get ya what ya want.....

Last edited by ranger56528; 09-03-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Bear_925
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So.....I walked into my dealer

bikes are a luxury
welcome but just a sidenote, bikes are not just a luxury for some, economy or no economy.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Black denim color...I was looking at Street Glides before I decided on the RK and if I had gone in the SG direction it would have been in Black Denim...awesome color! Find what you want, will be spending enough on it!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Another twist on things, when I went to buy my new Sporty I really wanted a Dyna but could not afford the difference in price, I only ever pay cash for my vehicles, anyway to cut a long story short, the salesman said they had recieved there new 2009 stock and were cutting special deals on the 2008 range to move them off the floor, for a minimal extra I rode out the next day on my new Dyna.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I can understand a salesman wanting to sell you a bike that was in stock..... but a simple "we'll have to order the denim bike... but we HAVE a vivid black bike in stock... you can have it today"
MAYBE the customer, will say... OK...or? maybe not

But a lot of salesman are dumbasses

Old 09-03-2010, 05:52 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably gives you a good idea of the type of dealership sales dept you would be dealing with anyway. Trashing their own product to make a sale never sets well with me, makes you wonder what other garbage they would pull as you tried to finalize a deal. Better to find one that wants to satisfy the customer IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: Salesman made me walk away...