Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock radio/cb setup for an 03 Electra Glide Standard

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
edpostal
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock radio/cb setup for an 03 Electra Glide Standard

Thanks in advance....I have an 03 Electra Glide standard.It has the handlebar controls for the cd am/fm radio.I wish to set it up with a stock am/fm/cb radio,which I do not have.My question is...what harness is currently there and what will I have to change when I swap the left handlebar control to one with the ptt button.Also what year radio am I looking for.03 was the first year that offered the cd player so who can say whats equipped.any advice is appreciated.
EdP

Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A local friend just mounted a factory Harley am/fm in his 2001 EG Standard. He said all of the wiring was already in the fairing for the speakers and radio connections.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There wont be a harness for the CB/Intercom.....you would have to add that and how I have no idea........if you just want a HD Radio with CD player the HD. P.N. is 76146-04 and I have a new one in the box.......the Ultra radio that has the intercom/cb installed is 76164-04 and I have that as well.........you just have to figure out if you want to go threw ALL the work.......

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 on what CoolHawg said. Your problem is that your bike has the wiring harness for a "simple" am/fm/wb installation. Your bike does not have the wiring found only on EG Ultras to provide for CB/intercom, rider headset, rear speakers, and passenger controls.

You could do the CB/intercom install with the correct radio, but you would need the wiring diagrams to create the missing wiring on your EG Standard; an EG Classic owner would face the same wiring issues. It's not overly difficult (I did it for a friend's '05 police model EG), just tedious.

Carl

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 AM
edpostal
Novice

Thankfully I am a retired electrician and have a background in control wiring so the idea of a tedious install doesnt scare me.Im not so worried about the radio half,nor the rear speakers or the intercom.Im after the cb.Looks like I will need the switch assembly for the ptt setup.The question is what years are the proper years of the wiring harness for example....it looks like my cutoff is between 03 and 06 ultra.Also which year radio is "proper"Should be interesting finding all that.Any suggestions??Thanks in advance and thanks to all who posted.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a complete setup with cb I would part with if your interested its out of a 2005 ultra

Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
edpostal
Novice

Hi Jday..would love to talk with you..my email is edpostal3@yahoo.com.
Reach out to me and we go from there.Thanks
Eddie

Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad to hear you can take on electrical wiring, connectors and such with confidence.

I installed the Harman Kardon head unit with CB module on my '04 EG non-Ultra using the Boom Audio Music and Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09. I mention this because the HK head unit came out in '06, and the BAMI kit fitment information from the MOCO said it's for '07 and newer bikes.

The installation was not difficult and everything works correctly. Just study the wiring diagrams of the model you have and compare it to what's shown on the wiring diagrams of the model you are trying to replicate. And get familiar with the parts books for the model years to confirm whethere certain connectors are the same or different; if you need connectors, pins and sockets, HD has them. Fortunately, the project is just a wiring problem, not an electronic problem requiring knowledge of resistors, capacitors, building circuits, etc.

My project is described in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tra-glide.html

Good luck with your research and project.

Carl

Old 09-05-2010, 01:06 PM
edpostal
Novice

looks like it will all depend on the year radio i get my hands on.I would prefer not to change the tank console so the Boom might be a good option.im sensing a winter project in the works.Thanks for all the info ,I am sure it will prove to be invaluable....safe riding

Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
edpostal
Novice
Default update

Hello all...
I managed to get my hands on a tank console and a complete harness out of an 04 Ultra.Part #70160-04....problem is my searches so far do not mention this number.Mostly I find writeups about the 70160-06.From what I can tell if I use this harness it would be best to match the year radio to it,which I have no problem with as the people that have contacted me have the 04 radio.looks like all I need to find is the proper left handlebar control with the ptt and I should be in business.........am I delusional or on the right path?
thanks again.

Quick Reply: stock radio/cb setup for an 03 Electra Glide Standard