Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander installation preparation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Commander installation preparation

Soooooooo.......
I broke down and ordered a Dynojet PCIII/usb to address some performance issues with my '99 Ultra Classic and have been looking around the bike to see what modifications might have been done by the previous owner so I have an idea where to start mapping it once I get it installed.

The only obvious things that I know are present are a Screamin' Eagle air intake and air cleaner and modified stock mufflers, that I installed, (baffles have been cut to improve exhaust flow and give me a better sound). I don't know if any other internal modifications have been made, but I have not found any indication in the form of labels or tags of any other upgrades.

One thing I wass hoping I could find out is what type of ECM I have. It is a Magnetti Marelli model with the Harley part number of 32423-99.
Can anyone tell me if this is just the stock ECM or is it possibly a stage 1 model?

Thanks all!

Bill

Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the part number for the stock 1999 MM FI ECM.

FWIW: I took the stock ECM nuts 'completely' off, and pulled the ECM away from the frame (on my '99 RKC) to 'easily' get the PCIII cables routed through the frame, and the connectors/cover properly installed.
Although I did loosen the battery box I found I really didn't need to, nor did I really need to remove the battery, just disconnect as per the DJ instructions.

Also .... I'd give DJ a call with your particular breather/exhaust configuration to get a map number to run.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Thanks, Flyer!
I did notice that I have to pull the ECM completely away from the mount to really get to the connector. I guess I really won't know what I'm doing until I have it in my hands and ready to install. The info about the stock ECM helps a lot!
I did download all of the maps they have on their site, but I noticed that there was no map for "stock" pipes.
I'm kinda hoping I can get a good reference point to start with and tweak it a bit in the lower power ranges without having to take it in for a complete "dyno tune".
p.s. I love the "bike" in your sig!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

The issue you have is not knowing if the ECM has been modified. The only way to tell is have the dealer check it for you.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nvsteve
The issue you have is not knowing if the ECM has been modified. The only way to tell is have the dealer check it for you.
That may pose a problem. The dealer mechanic that recommended the PCIII tried to access the ECM but his computer would not make a successful connection. Another dealer may, but I've only had it to the one shop so far.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

The other otion is to download maps for both possibilities and see which works best.
Or, have your bike dynoed by a competent tuner.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nvsteve
The other otion is to download maps for both possibilities and see which works best.
Or, have your bike dynoed by a competent tuner.
Thanks, nvsteve. That is kinda the plan right now. I have already downloaded the software and all of the relevent maps from DJ and have been looking through them. I see several that may apply to my combination of modifications. I am hoping that with just a little tweaking here and there I can get the performance improvements I am looking for, especially in the low RPM ranges, but may take the bike to a Dyno tuner to get the thing completely done. A couple of riding buddies have recommended an independent shop that they say is real good with Harleys and has a good dyno setup.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
Thanks, nvsteve. That is kinda the plan right now. I have already downloaded the software and all of the relevent maps from DJ and have been looking through them. I see several that may apply to my combination of modifications. I am hoping that with just a little tweaking here and there I can get the performance improvements I am looking for, especially in the low RPM ranges, but may take the bike to a Dyno tuner to get the thing completely done. A couple of riding buddies have recommended an independent shop that they say is real good with Harleys and has a good dyno setup.
Good luck. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you need to do.
Lots of help here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Update.

I have had the PCIII/usb installed and have been running with it since Sunday. I am still getting an occasional pop or miss at low engine speeds with very little throttle, but the difference is noticeable. Not nearly as many misses and not nearly as pronounced. I have tried a few different "boxed" settings that closely match the mods that my bike has, and the best combination seems to be "Screamin Eagle air cleaner, Vance & Hines perforated core slip-ons, stock ECM". I have also noticed there is a little smoother (slightly faster) idle right after starting (it gets a little bumpier when warmed up) but it is well within the range specified by HD.
I plan to take the bike to a dyno center as soon as time allows, but wanted to post and let y'all know that some performance issues are partially solved. Now I think it just needs to be fine tuned by a pro!
Thanks again to all for the input!
Bill

p.s. I discovered that the back rest on my seat has a sort of pocket, which I have found makes a nice place to keep the usb cable tucked away. I can pack my laptop in the trunk and hook up anytime I'm stopped without having to remove the bag and cover on the left side of the bike! And here I thought it was just a place for my lady to stash her sunglasses

Last edited by Oldtigercub; 09-08-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad it's working out for you. Be sure to do a little research when choosing a tuner.