Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me understand headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can anyone help me understand headlight bulbs?

I posted earlier that I was looking for an upgrade to my headlight and passing lamps, but needed something simple (plug and play). Many of the responses have been great suggestions but over my head. I don't know anything about bulbs, wattage, amps, what a HID is, what different colors do, all I know is that I want my headlight and passing lamps brighter so that my bike will be more noticeable on the road and I'll have better nighttime visibility.

Can anyone please help me understand bulbs, and walk me through what I need to purchase to achieve my desired effect (brighter lights). Simply stating "buy SilverStars" does not help me. I don't know what size, color, wattage, etc. I am assuming that the same bulb will not work in the main headlight as the passing lamps...

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I recognize that I am new to this topic and am trying to learn.

Thank for the help!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
I posted earlier that I was looking for an upgrade to my headlight and passing lamps, but needed something simple (plug and play). Many of the responses have been great suggestions but over my head. I don't know anything about bulbs, wattage, amps, what a HID is, what different colors do, all I know is that I want my headlight and passing lamps brighter so that my bike will be more noticeable on the road and I'll have better nighttime visibility.

Can anyone please help me understand bulbs, and walk me through what I need to purchase to achieve my desired effect (brighter lights). Simply stating "buy SilverStars" does not help me. I don't know what size, color, wattage, etc. I am assuming that the same bulb will not work in the main headlight as the passing lamps...

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I recognize that I am new to this topic and am trying to learn.

Thank for the help!
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

Go to an E code. Hella also has come options for your passing lamps as well.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The E-code headlight 18BKLR linked is a simple replacement, and the bulb just clips into the back of the headlight assembly. Your manual shows how to remove and replace the headlight and bulb. The bulb can be found here:

Susquehanna (100/80W H4)

Amazon (There are a bit cheaper)

Hint: These bulbs also work in stock headlights, so get together with some friends and order several, including a spare or two for yourself. I find that these last for several years.

Last edited by iclick; 09-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
sporacer
Road Master

Like i said earlier PIAA part # 15962 install them and be happy. That is a twin pack(2 bulbs)
http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sporacer
Like i said earlier PIAA part # 15962 install them and be happy. That is a twin pack(2 bulbs)
And the passing lamp bulbs that go with this headlight bulb are PIAA part number PIAA18880 which is the extreme white bulb with the proper base to fit the HD passing lamp socket. You will have to do minor surgery to the plastic connection for it to fit properly, at least I did on a "07 Ultra.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Call piaa

PIAA CORPORATION, USA
3004 NE 181st Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97230
Telephone: 1-800-525-7422, 503-489-6666
Fax: 503-489-6600

Ampere
(A or Amp) The unit of measure for electrical current. Basic formula for finding Amp draw (Amps = watts ÷ volts)

Candela A unit of measurement for the luminous intensity of a lamp at a specific spot in the beam. Dichroic A glass reflector and bulb assembly that allows heat to dissipate through the reflector and away from the bulb thus increasing bulb life.
Dual Filament Bulb A bulb having two filaments encased in one glass tube. In the case of halogen headlight bulbs with dual filaments, one filament for the low beam and one filament for the high beam. The most common dual filament halogen headlight bulbs are H4, HB2, 9007, and 9004.

Dual Lamp System A PIAA innovation that places two types of auxiliary light systems into one housing, usually a driving light and a fog light.
High Intensity Discharge A light source in which light is produced by a stabilized arc that burns at a much higher color temperature which creates a whiter light output than a standard halogen bulb. This arc is generated with an igniting system and ballast.
Kelvin Color temperature is a unit of measure for the color of light – it is not necessarily related to the heat of the light source. A higher color temperature represents a color closer to actual sunlight.
Lens Fluting A process in lamp design that molds the lens to control the beam pattern by deflecting the light to the desired point in the beam. Lens fluting usually looks like vertical cuts in the lens.

Lumens A unit of measurement for the amount of light that a bulb puts out. Example: common light bulbs emit approximately 170 candela per 10 watts of electricity.
Multi Surface Reflector MSR, A reflector designed to control the beam pattern with a computer designed surface to project the light precisely to the desired point in the beam without the use of fluting.
NHTSA, D.O.T. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Department of Transportation. Sets the laws and guidelines for the preservation of safety on public highways.

Projector Lens An ellipse shaped lens that concentrates a beam of light coming from a set back bulb and reflector. The beam is usually controlled with a shield to give the beam a very sharp cut off point. This makes a great fog light or headlight low beam.
S.A.E. Society of Automotive Engineers. Publishes the recommended practices, design specifications and testing procedures for all automotive systems.
Xenon The gas used in H.I.D. systems that produce the extreme white color. Xenon gas is also used in some halogen bulbs to produce a whiter light and to keep deposits off the glass tube.
XTRA A PIAA term used to designate high efficiency bulbs that are designed to produce greater light output than its rated power consumption. (Example 55watts = 85watts of light output)

What lights fit my vehicle?
The PIAA Application Guide is available to assist you in your lamp selection for newer vehicles. Additionally, every lamp page on this web site includes illustrations with product dimensions (both standard and metric) for your reference.

How do I mount this light on my vehicle?
All PIAA lamps come complete with installation instructions. If you've lost your installation instructions, simply e-mail Customer Service for a replacement set.

My lamps have water in them for the third time,
how can I stop this from happening?
Some moisture inside the lamp is normal. The lamp should dry out after a few minutes of operation. If it doesn't, check the following:

1) The lens may be upside down. The PIAA name must read right side up so the vent on the bottom can drain.
2) The lens/reflector unit may not be mounted tight against the lamp housing. Loosen, then re-tighten the screws.
3) The gasket may be twisted or pinched. Some gaskets have a vent gap.Make sure it's on the bottom.
4) Lamps with a "Snorkel" type wiring grommet in the back of the housing must have the opening facing down.
5) 9O Pro lamps have a vent on the back of the housing in the center. The opening must be facing down. Water leaks through an obvious gap in the sealant or from a loose lens are defects covered under warranty.

Can I mount my lamps upside down?
PIAA lamps are designed to function properly mounted upright or upside down, as long as a few details are taken into consideration. When mounting your PIAA lamps opposite of their intended installation, remember that lamps with a "Snorkel" type wiring grommet in the back of the housing must have the opening facing down. Also, the PIAA name must read right side up so the vent on the bottom can drain. 9O Pro lamps have a vent on the back of the housing in the center. The opening must be facing down. Proper auxiliary lamp aiming is the most important part of an installation. Refer to the Light Aiming Instructions on this web site for proper alignment.

What is the difference between a fog light & a driving light?
Fog lights provide illumination forward of the vehicle that enhances visibility in fog, rain, snow, or dust. Fog lights are intended to be used in conjunction with standard headlamp low beams. Driving lights are mounted to provide illumination forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlamp system. It is not intended for use alone or with the low beam of a standard headlamp system.

If my product is covered by warranty how do I get it processed?
If a PIAA product is suspected of being defective, it must be submitted freight prepaid, to either an authorized dealer or distributor for warranty inspection. The receipt or other proof of purchase and a description of the problem must be included. The returned product will be inspected. If the product is found to be defective and covered by this Limited Warranty, the sole remedy is repair or replacement, at PIAA's option. A repaired or replacement product will be shipped back at no charge, and will be warranted to be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use for as long as the original purchaser owns it. Removal, installation, or reinstallation costs are not covered by this Limited Warranty. Read the Warranty page on the web site for additional information regarding your warranty.

BULBS
Are these legal?
PIAA 9000 Series Bulbs are DOT/SAE compliant and are street legal in all 50 states and Canada.

Will they fit my vehicle?
The PIAA Application Guide is available to assist you in your bulb selection for newer vehicles.

This is the third bulb to blow out in four months; why does this keep happening?
Bulb failures caused by voltage surges have become more common as new vehicles have placed greater demands on factory electrical systems. The main lamp ground wire must be connected to the battery negative terminal or to a cable leading to it. If a voltage surge occurs, the bulb will look like it was struck by lightning! The metal base & glass will be burnt or the filament will blow up! Refer to the Trouble Shooting section of this web site for more information.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the deal on your standard 7" headlight bulb.
The H4 bulb is a standard size/type/base so it is what it is.
The stock bulb is a 55/60 which is a 55 watt low beam and 60 watt high beam.
I run an Osram 70/65 high efficacy H4 bulb in mine.
This is a 70 watt low beam 65 watt high beam highly efficient German element bulb.
As the wattage goes up and lumens go up , the lifespan (hours) go down almost in direct proportion.
Stay away from "blue" type bulbs as the human eye doesn't respond well to the blue color and looks blinding to oncoming traffic , which ticks people off.
I also run an optically superior headlamp housing , the glass is fluted (and leaded) and the reflector is higher quality and more accurate than the standard DOT spec junk out there.
This is a Cibie E-Code 7" headlamp housing from http://www.danielsternlighting.com/.
Your passing lamps are a standard 881 angle base 27 watt clear bulb , the base is a PGJ13 type.
You can use a bunch of different bulbs in place of it if you want to.
Here's a comparison of bulbs
# 862 37.5 watt 1100 hour clear
# 881 27 watt 300 hour clear/black tip
# 886 50 watt 200 hour clear
# 894 37.5 watt 200 hour clear
# 898 37.5 watt 1100 hour clear/black tip
These will all fit in your housings without modification.
Beware that wattage over 37.5 will be really close to max for your wiring.
I use wagner 4415A sealed beam 37.5 watt Amber fog lamps in my passing beams.
These require modification to the wiring ends , but I like the color and the beam spread as it's really wide
and catches animals eyes well at night , and look odd during the day for oncoming traffic.
Lots of possibilities and choices......
Good luck
Mick

Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about light either, but have been told that some bulbs will get too hot for your standard setup. Let us know what you pick and how it works out for you.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sporacer
That bulb has a purple tint. Is 10934 the same but white instead of purple?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
The E-code headlight 18BKLR linked is a simple replacement, and the bulb just clips into the back of the headlight assembly. Your manual shows how to remove and replace the headlight and bulb. The bulb can be found here:

Susquehanna (100/80W H4)

Amazon (There are a bit cheaper)

Hint: These bulbs also work in stock headlights, so get together with some friends and order several, including a spare or two for yourself. I find that these last for several years.
Since stock is 60/55 wouldn't putting a 100/80 bulb in my headlight make it too hot and cause damage?

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me understand headlight bulbs?