Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration with new engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 AM
jdag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration with new engine mounts

I had the new and "improved" engine mounts installed about a month ago (2006 Street Glide). Since then I've noticed a major increase in vibration, particularly in the floorboards, but also in the handlebars. My feet have fallen asleep at speeds above 65mph.

Tonight a friend and I swapped bikes for about 10 miles. The second he got of my bike he commented about the "buzz" in the floorboards, so it is not my imagination. I rode his EG Standard and felt it was substantially smoother.

I had taken my bike to a dealer this week (not the one that replaced the engine mount), and the dealer said that the new mount looked OK. He then commented that the "true duals can cause an increase in vibration". This just doesn't sound right to me. Plus, I've had the true duals since April or May, and just had the engine mount replaced in July.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:35 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default RE: Vibration with new engine mounts

Somebody on here posted a little while back about getting the new engine mount installed from HD and then having an Indy shop put his old one back on because it was not broken and he didn't like the way the new one felt.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:26 AM
toolbox
Road Master

Had the same problems on my 06 king. My front support mount broke @ about 5k miles & the dealer installed a new UPDATED mount In my ride under warranty. Upon picking it up I Immediatly noticed a rough idle vibration more than anything, they stated the mount is stiffer (stronger bonded rubber) I put down a 4500 mile road trip on it and am looking into aftermarket options for a smoother ride. I noticed more of a idle issue than anything. Just a opinion, oh, by the way , Ive ran true duals for over 140k miles on 2 roadkings. Dont let them tell you the pipes are the problem (B%&S#*&) Hoever you might check that rear header pipe mount bracket for a crack , if its broke you can get a noticable vibration, but usually also hear rattling. Good luck.
TOOLBOX

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/D3697F0E8B7A40C18A3536E0D6E74F61.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2006, 04:14 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the motor mount on my 2000 RG with 58 K .Dam I was sad the vibration was bad .I think that is how my exhust bolt broke. I ordered the 20 mount from J@P Installed it the trouble went a way. The stealer laugh at me about the mount woun't refund my money on the chinese stamped mount . I was pissed and tlod all 3 of they are full of ****. There hand are tied because that is what harley is useing on the o7 and it works fine ,That is my opinian.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/D941C881FBD6466FA64B40525E1A5AA3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah, don't know if it's a similar part, but I had the front mount replaced on my 93 FLHS when the upper end was re-done. LOTS and LOTS of vibration now. Never have I ridden where it was difficult focusing on objects while cruising along. Or that the mirrors would vibrate that much. I get vibration through the bars, floorboard, and seat like I can never remember having. And I shake for thirty minutes to an hour after riding. With 1500 miles on that mount, it's starting to subside a bit, but still hasn't gotten back to the smooth ride I had before it was replaced.

I'm wondering what they did to the mounts?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this site www.legendmcs.com/ click on "enter catalog" click on "engines & parts" click on "motor mounts". Scroll about half way down to part #30-130 Velva Ride Motor Mount...............BG

Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Ultra was built in late March. Could it have the new mount? It's not as bad now, 2200 miles, but at first it would blur your vision at idle and at highway speeds.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 AM
ricaroo
Tourer

BigGeorge

Do you use this mount? if so did it make a big difference

Rick

Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,828 Likes on 1,592 Posts

If you makes you feel any better, my 07 (with the stiff mount) loosened up after 1000 or so miles. Pretty smooth now. maybe it's failing!!

lp

Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM
ricaroo
Tourer

on my 06 ultra my wife complains that she gets a lot of vibration from the floorboards and tour pac backrest, (at any speed) is this normal? I get very little if any from the rider floorboards. We had a hertigage softail before and I am wondering if that had less vibration and she is comparing it to that. She says the ride is smooth (seat) except for the floor board and back rest vibration Is this normal or do I need to check or change something. I made sure that all the nuts and bolts were tight as indicated in the service manual.

Rick

Quick Reply: Vibration with new engine mounts