Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need electrical expert help please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Need electrical expert help please...

I have an intermittent brake light problem that just started yesterday on my '07 Ultra. Yesterday I noticed that my cruise wouldn't engage. My first thought was brake light and I was right, the brake light was stuck on. When I would turn off the ignition, then back on again, and apply the front brake there was no problem, apply the rear brake and it would stick on. I assumed I had a bad rear brake light switch. No big deal.

Fast forward to today, I go out this morning and can't get it to stick. After riding for an hour or so, sure enough, it's stuck. I ride straight to the closest dealer and show the service writer. This time though, applying EITHER brake will cause it to stick on. They roll it in to wait for an available tech, takes about 1/2 hour to get it in the back. Normal operation, cannot duplicate the problem. WTF do the front and rear brake switches have in common besides the darn bulb? And why is it not happening all the time? Ideas?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You said that the brake light switch was stuck this morning. Did you actually look at the switch and see that it was physically stuck or did you just see that the brake light was still on after you let go of the brake pedal?

I find it hard to believe that both the front and rear switches are failing at the same time. Both switches ultimately feed power through the same wire to the brake light. My guess is that you have some frayed or pinchen wires in the harness that feeds the brake light.

Do you have a Run/Turn/ Brake modual? If so, it may be failing or thwireing for it may be the source of the short.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
You said that the brake light switch was stuck this morning. Did you actually look at the switch and see that it was physically stuck or did you just see that the brake light was still on after you let go of the brake pedal?

I find it hard to believe that both the front and rear switches are failing at the same time. Both switches ultimately feed power through the same wire to the brake light. My guess is that you have some frayed or pinchen wires in the harness that feeds the brake light.

Do you have a Run/Turn/ Brake modual? If so, it may be failing or thwireing for it may be the source of the short.
No, the light stays on but I can't actually see a switch that's stuck, and like you, I seriously doubt that they'd both fail at the same time. No run/turn/brake add-ons either.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Is the bike throwing any DTC's?

Carl

Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Nope. No codes. Someone suggested the brake relay, makes sense and I'll start there.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible your controls have wiggled/moved just a bit? Just making sure the front brake lever is holding the brake switch in all the way. I am sure you know this but the lever has to hold that plunger all the way down or the brake light will kick on with the slightest movement. I ran into this after my bar change. I could bump the handlebars the the brake light would stay on.

Last edited by bellgnte; 09-01-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bellgnte
Is it possible your controls have wiggled/moved just a bit? Just making sure the front brake lever is holding the brake switch in all the way. I am sure you know this but the lever has to hold that plunger all the way down or the brake light will kick on with the slightest movement
Yeah, that's not it. The problem originally started with the rear brake and now is both, but only when hot.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would suggest replacing the rear brake light switch.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you replaced the levers or had them off? If so and you didn't shim front brake lever like the srervice manual states then you've screwed up your front brake light switch. It's fun to replace.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hojones
Have you replaced the levers or had them off? If so and you didn't shim front brake lever like the srervice manual states then you've screwed up your front brake light switch. It's fun to replace.
Nope, last time they were apart was many thousand miles ago. My gut says brake relay, that's where I'll start.

Quick Reply: Need electrical expert help please...