Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter headlight bulbs question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck headlight upgrade is to replace the stock fluted headlamp with an non-fluted E-code (European) light. Add an 80/100w bulb and you've got a major improvement in visibility for about $50.

I have the Hella E-code headlights with Hella 80/100w bulbs and the difference is amazing, especially for the cost. Much-improved low-beam pattern and much better "seeing distance" on high-beam. No problems with the high-powered bulbs used on two bikes in the past 12 years, but if you use high-wattage passing lamps you may want to put them on a relay since they are wired into the low-beam circuit. The 80w bulb adds 2A to that 15A circuit which may overpower the fuse, but stock passing lamp bulbs shouldn't be a problem.

Cibie is another E-code option, but I selected Hella because they cost half as much and are equally high-quality products.

It's amazing to me that more riders haven't discovered this low-cost way to improve headlight performance.

Glad to see some others have converted. For as cheap as they are they are a great upgrade and well worth every penny.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Osrams! Silstars only last less than a year on my metrics and Hd's

Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Love the Osrams! Silstars only last less than a year on my metrics and Hd's
Where do you get the Osrams? Model #? Are you running them in the main light or the passing lights as well?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Silverstars never lasted me either, but they were the first bulbs to come to mind.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Silverstars never lasted me either, but they were the first bulbs to come to mind.
So if Silverstars don't last, what are a bulb that will last?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
So if Silverstars don't last, what are a bulb that will last?
The Hella 80/100w bulb in my bike has been on the bike since new (almost four years) and was on my old RK for several years before that. I believe at least some of that longevity is attributable to the modulator that works at 20-100% 4x/sec., and this reduces heat, but before I bought the modulator in 2002 I was still not replacing them frequently. I don't think I've changed more than once or twice in the past 12 years since I started using them. The bulb-life spec is 100 hrs., but I'm obviously doing much better than that. Is anyone else having this level of longevity from these bulbs?

Last edited by iclick; 09-01-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jackja25
ICLICK,
I have a question also, what about the average hours (100) is pretty small amount of hours? And the website says not leagal on the highway. Any insight into this?

Thanks
I've seen this spec and don't know how they've arrived at it. The bulb in my bike now has been in there since the bike was new and was in my old RK for several years before that. I've changed these bulbs 1-2 times in the past 12 years, but the last eight years I've been running a modulator, and they reportedly prolong bulb life in daylight when the high-beam is running because the bulb runs cooler (20-100% modulation @ 4x/sec.).

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM
phnxrider
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Where do you get the Osrams? Model #? Are you running them in the main light or the passing lights as well?
Anyone have the P/N for the Osrams? Tried H4 and dealer had no clue. Trying to replace the bulb in my 06 SG.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed. Looking for headlight and driving light alternatives also for my RKC

Old 12-23-2011, 04:29 AM
NC Patriot Rider
Intermediate

I was going through 2 Sylvania Ultra lamps per year (vibration failure) @ $20.00 each with no warranty. I was at Advanced Auto looking when a rep came over and suggested the new Sylvania zXe lamp. We discussed failures due to vibration, and was informed these lamps have a 1 year free replacement warranty. I bought the dual pack (around $50.00). I've had them for about 6 weeks now. These are the whitest/brightest lamps I've ever used. When it finally fails, I'll use the warranty.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...SilverStarzXe/

Quick Reply: Brighter headlight bulbs question