Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter headlight bulbs question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

The silverstar bulbs burn out quick. They don't tell you that on the package. I use Osram 100/80 with ceramic sockets wired in. Sometimes the higher powered bulbs will melt the stock headlight socket from the heat.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What wattage/size do I need for the main light and passing lights. I thought that the main light was 55w but it seems like a lot of guys are going with 80-100w. I don't want to worry about burning something up, or melting my headlight housing.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck headlight upgrade is to replace the stock fluted headlamp with an non-fluted E-code (European) light. Add an 80/100w bulb and you've got a major improvement in visibility for about $50.

I have the Hella E-code headlights with Hella 80/100w bulbs and the difference is amazing, especially for the cost. Much-improved low-beam pattern and much better "seeing distance" on high-beam. No problems with the high-powered bulbs used on two bikes in the past 12 years, but if you use high-wattage passing lamps you may want to put them on a relay since they are wired into the low-beam circuit. The 80w bulb adds 2A to that 15A circuit which may overpower the fuse, but stock passing lamp bulbs shouldn't be a problem.

Cibie is another E-code option, but I selected Hella because they cost half as much and are equally high-quality products.

It's amazing to me that more riders haven't discovered this low-cost way to improve headlight performance.

Last edited by iclick; 09-01-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PIAA Extreme White are very good option over stock. I am very satisfied with mine.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 23,114 Likes on 8,801 Posts

I replaced my stock lights with the Silver stars but wasn't really thrilled with them. I installed a set of HIDs and that lights the road up now. I don't overdrive the headlights now, even at 75+.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM
al baehr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hella bulb says 100 hr average use.. Is that true ? seems like you would be changing bulbs a few times a year ?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
Perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck headlight upgrade is to replace the stock fluted headlamp with an non-fluted E-code (European) light. Add an 80/100w bulb and you've got a major improvement in visibility for about $50.

I have the Hella E-code headlights with Hella 80/100w bulbs and the difference is amazing, especially for the cost. Much-improved low-beam pattern and much better "seeing distance" on high-beam. No problems with the high-powered bulbs used on two bikes in the past 12 years, but if you use high-wattage passing lamps you may want to put them on a relay since they are wired into the low-beam circuit. The 80w bulb adds 2A to that 15A circuit which may overpower the fuse, but stock passing lamp bulbs shouldn't be a problem.

Cibie is another E-code option, but I selected Hella because they cost half as much and are equally high-quality products.

It's amazing to me that more riders haven't discovered this low-cost way to improve headlight performance.
ICLICK,
I have a question also, what about the average hours (100) is pretty small amount of hours? And the website says not leagal on the highway. Any insight into this?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

My only beef with the Silverstars is that each one only ever lasted me about a year. I think I only ever changed the headlight once in the 8 years I owned the old Superglide. I have a regular Sylvania bulb now, and it is brighter than the stock, don't remember the model number though...

Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Is this for the main headlight or the passing lamps? Looking to up grade all 3.

Thanks.
The H4 is the main headlight

Running lights,
Silverstar
880ST 27w
893ST 37.5w

I have been running Silverstar for quite a few years. And agree the main headlight does not last very long. Either the high or low beam burns out (could be due to the vibration) usually the high. The running lamps are 2 years old and still burning brightly. HTH

Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jackja25
The H4 is the main headlight

Running lights,
Silverstar
880ST 27w
893ST 37.5w

I have been running Silverstar for quite a few years. And agree the main headlight does not last very long. Either the high or low beam burns out (could be due to the vibration) usually the high. The running lamps are 2 years old and still burning brightly. HTH
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Brighter headlight bulbs question