Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 AM
neteng
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front brake problem?

'10 FLHTK. When I bought the bike the front brakes were spongy. Told dealer and around 1900 miles they replaced the pads saying they were wore out. I'm at 4000 miles now and the same feeling is back. As soon as I get home from the road trip I will bring it into the dealer to see what they say. So the question is anyone else out there having front brake issues? I've been riding for 13 years now (mostly Ducati superbikes) and have never gone through pads this fast (possibly twice). I did notice that when I'm stopped and I hold the front brake in, the engine seems to work a little more (ABS?).

What does everyone think?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been several posts on spongy front brakes. I cannot speak for the new models but My 03 EG standard had the same problem. My problem was that the four pistons in each caliper would not extend because they were fouled out with brake dust, road debris etc.. There is not a dust cover over the pistons. Once I removed the calipers and freed and cleaned the pistons... life was good again.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neteng
'10 FLHTK. When I bought the bike the front brakes were spongy. Told dealer and around 1900 miles they replaced the pads saying they were wore out. I'm at 4000 miles now and the same feeling is back. As soon as I get home from the road trip I will bring it into the dealer to see what they say. So the question is anyone else out there having front brake issues? I've been riding for 13 years now (mostly Ducati superbikes) and have never gone through pads this fast (possibly twice). I did notice that when I'm stopped and I hold the front brake in, the engine seems to work a little more (ABS?).

There is no way you should be wearing out pads at 1900 miles. Unless you're riding it using only the front brakes and then doing nose stands too. Even then I can't imagine wearing the pads out that quickly. If your ABS isn't kicking in every time you brake, I doubt you're riding it too hard. Something would appear to be seriously amiss. Does your bike roll easily when not on the brakes? I'm just wondering if something is causing the front brakes to drag all the time.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

I did notice that when I'm stopped and I hold the front brake in, the engine seems to work a little more (ABS?).

Why do you think the engine is working harder at a complete stop? What are you experiencing?

Also, once you have come to a stop, continuing to apply the brakes promotes rotor warpage. The section of the rotor that the pads are in contact with can't cool at the same rate as the rest of the rotor. If it's safe, as in your not on a hill, once you have stopped let the binders go.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the motor sound like it wants to keep pulling? Might need the clutch adjusted, just a guess. As for eating brakes that soon, shouldn't happen unless you ride while holding the brakes.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the bike in the air and see how freely the front wheel spins. No way, your pads should be done at those miles.
Clutch adjustment? pad drag?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with everyone else here; there is a problem. My '09 Ultra has over 14k and is just now needing new brakes.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
neteng
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll get to the dealer either Thursday or Friday this week... I'll let you know what they say. The bike rolls fine when I just using the legs to move it. When I stop I don't stay on the brakes. I'll hold it with my legs. What I meant by the engine working harder is if I do hold the brakes while stopped, it seems to rev a little more. If I release the brakes it slows down (You can barely see it on the tach). I am assuming that the engine is working harder for the ABS. I don't feel that is correct but that is what I have noticed. Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:45 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you got custom wheels on your bike?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

44,000 on '03 FLHTI, brakes done around 26,000. Feeling spongy now, figgured time for brake fluid flush and Black Diamond stainless brake lines. Will pull the calipers and clean the piston bores first. Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: Front brake problem?