Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Toyhauler

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Detachment2
They are a lot of fun. I am on my 3rd camper and 2nd toy hauler. They are fun but dito on most of the other comments as far as checking it over. They normally come with at least a year warranty so get out and try it right away usuing everything and confirm what is or if everything is covered on the warranty. Be sure to keep the dealers number on your cell phone because you will be calling them for advise on what to dos and why its not working questions. The joys of owning a camper. There is good and bad to everything. Due to kids and their college mine has been more of a lawn ornament this year than anything else but when we do get it out we luv it.
So nice rig !!! Must be fun to tow (HA HA )
Do you like your F350 (10 mpg pulling THAT?!)
We have a 25 ft Class C. E350 V10 (Power house!) But it gets 10 towing
nothing. I am considering a 10 or 12 X 7 ft 2 axle encl/trailer to tow the bikes.What are some of the opinions on that.

Nice Heritage BTW

Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Detachment2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
so nice rig !!! Must be fun to tow (ha ha )
do you like your f350 (10 mpg pulling that?!)
we have a 25 ft class c. E350 v10 (power house!) but it gets 10 towing
nothing. I am considering a 10 or 12 x 7 ft 2 axle encl/trailer to tow the bikes.what are some of the opinions on that.

Nice heritage btw
thanks for the compliment. I have seen your bike on here before and luv the bags and set up you have.

My 350 pulls, stops, and handles very nice. I bit the bullet and pretty much went in det with payments to have the right truck to pull that size trailer safely. The camper and truck i have are a great set up for each other.have been up and down the east coast and to washington state and back with the cab full of family and dogs and bike in the trailer with no problems. The dully is more stable for pulling big trailers but not a must. People i have talked to say a f-350 regular bed crew cab deisel will pull just as nice. I get around 14 to 15 mpg around town and between 9 and 10 when pulling the camper loaded. Closer to 9 with two bikes in the back but i bought the truck to pull with 4:10 gears obviously not for good gas milage. It pulls out into traffic and goes up hills great.

I have looked at class c and different motor coaches as well with the thoughts in mind of having a enclosed trailer to pull behind. I like it but haven't sold myself on it yet. I like getting to the campground and having our bike for nice weather and yet if it rains we can take the truck and leave the bikes in the garage locked up with the camper where they are at. I still look at coaches especially the toy hauler ones but they are salty. It would be nice to have so the friends and family could be more relaxed while traveling plus the class c and above have some very nice set ups inside. I like the roominess of my raptor. Lots of head and walk around room in the kitchen and living room, big bathroom and bedroom, and yes a big garage. When it is rainy and muddy out i always use the garage area as a entry/mud room area to keep the carpet area clean.
If you have the class c i would defnintely get a enclosed trailer to pull the bikes in and would think your v10 would pull it nicely. I had a 2003 crew cab with a v10 that i was very pleased with but went with the deisel when i got this mammoth of a trailer. My personal thoughts would be to go with a double axle because they pull/ride much better and back up easier then a single axle. I only say this because i have pulled and backed up single axles and have friends with very similar set ups. But either way, "it's all good"! Thanks again for compliments!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Detachment2
thanks for the compliment. I have seen your bike on here before and luv the bags and set up you have.

My 350 pulls, stops, and handles very nice. I bit the bullet and pretty much went in det with payments to have the right truck to pull that size trailer safely. The camper and truck i have are a great set up for each other.have been up and down the east coast and to washington state and back with the cab full of family and dogs and bike in the trailer with no problems. The dully is more stable for pulling big trailers but not a must. People i have talked to say a f-350 regular bed crew cab deisel will pull just as nice. I get around 14 to 15 mpg around town and between 9 and 10 when pulling the camper loaded. Closer to 9 with two bikes in the back but i bought the truck to pull with 4:10 gears obviously not for good gas milage. It pulls out into traffic and goes up hills great.

I have looked at class c and different motor coaches as well with the thoughts in mind of having a enclosed trailer to pull behind. I like it but haven't sold myself on it yet. I like getting to the campground and having our bike for nice weather and yet if it rains we can take the truck and leave the bikes in the garage locked up with the camper where they are at. I still look at coaches especially the toy hauler ones but they are salty. It would be nice to have so the friends and family could be more relaxed while traveling plus the class c and above have some very nice set ups inside. I like the roominess of my raptor. Lots of head and walk around room in the kitchen and living room, big bathroom and bedroom, and yes a big garage. and When it is rainy muddy out i always use the garage area as a entry/mud room area to keep the carpet area clean.
If you have the class c i would defnintely get a enclosed trailer to pull the bikes in and would think your v10 would pull it nicely. I had a 2003 crew cab with a v10 that i was very pleased with but went with the deisel when i got this mammoth of a trailer. My personal thoughts would be to go with a double axle because they pull/ride much better and back up easier then a single axle. I only say this because i have pulled and backed up single axles and have friends with very similar set ups. But either way, "it's all good"! Thanks again for compliments!
Thanks for your thoughts...I guess you saw I am buying a Raptor also, just a lot smaller, we are looking forward to it.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rsavage
I have a 30' bumper hitch pull toy hauler and we enjoy using it as our base camp. I like to stay in State Parks when available in the area we are traveling to or a KOA when they are not. Have gone the gamut - motorhome pulling an enclosed trailer, truck camper pulling an enclosed trailer, and now the toy hauler. You need to have a tow vehicle that will pull the weight and handle the wind resistance. A diesel is best for power and mileage. I get about 11 mpg pulling my trailer with my Dodge Cummings (in the mountains). We have made three trips this year - Florida in the winter, Maine Coast, and North Carolina BRP this summer. We are planning the next. I hope you enjoy the hauler.
Thanks for your response we plan on doing very similar to what you mentioned. We also have off-road toys.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM
elroy521
Tourer

had a 38 ft raptor toyhauler fifth wheel great rig pulled it with a 2008 450 got about 5 mpg sucked the' truck , after a year we up graded to a 40 ft motor home with a cummins avg 10 mpg

Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Jeremy Damion Johnson
Stage I

Ultra61, I know this is an old thread but hoping you can give some feedback on your Raptor you purchased in 2010. I'm looking at buying a used 2007 Keystone Raptor 30' bumper pull. Any intel you can give on would be great...thanks,

Jeremy

Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 AM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2011 300mp raptor. It's a 35ft fifth wheel toy hauler. I love mine. I have mine set up on my river lot so I get use out of it even when I'm not towing it. People complain about the milage but I think it kinda washes out. It cost more in gas but I save on rooms and eating out so much. One question to really ask is how much you think you will use it ? You can get a lot of hotel rooms for 40-50 grand !
The other thing I would do is quickly replace the junk tires they seem to put on most trailers. Ever notice in the summer you see tons of campers on the side of the highway changing tires ?
I got me a spot already reserved at Custer state park for sturgis next year. 7 days was like 200 bucks

Old 11-16-2014, 07:45 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,022 Likes on 22,557 Posts

I would think in this economy this time of year that LOTS of folks are trying to sell theirs?
Might be a good idea to consider buying a "used" one as opposed to a new one?
This way maybe more of the bugs might be worked out as Terry was sayin'?
But hey if you've got the green to burn, do it.
You can't take it with you?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:40 AM
REPO1
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have owned many RV's over the years. I would never recommend buying a brand new one to anybody. The depreciation is just way to much, even after only 1 year. I have found that so many have only been used a handful of times, and after 3-4 years they are half price of new. Also find that most bugs are worked out of them by then as well.

I would recommend getting one that uses hydraulic slides rather than the screw jacks. They just seem to hold up better.