Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Trailering: What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Emergency Trailering: What to do???

Here's a discussion I don't recall reading here often: What are a guys options when he breaks down 100+ miles from home?

Wife and I had a flat on the RKC yesterday...150 miles from home. Sunday at noon...all the shops (non-HD) are closed. Called a wrecker...he quoted $550 for a haul back home. Fortunately, I called a friend asking for advice/ideas...he has a bike, and a farm, and lots of equipment so he dropped what he was doing, agreed to pick us up and hauled us all the way home.

Obviously, I paid him for his help (full tank of gas and a gift card for dinner for his wife and he - he wouldn't accept cash).

Help me explore my options so that I have a better idea what to do next time something like this happens. Sooner or later, I'm sure it'll happen to all of us.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put a bike in the bed of my truck but going to get a trailer for the mower and when needed for the bike. That's why there is Uhaul.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fortunately, I have enough friends/family that I could call to come to me with a trailer.
Granted, I may have to wait 6 hours...but someone will show.
If I'm riding with some friends, one of us will stop our ride and head back to get what's needed to get the bike home.

Several years ago one of the guys I ride with snapped his drive belt in two.
There was about 10 of us riding together.
We made the best of the situation.
One of the guys headed back for a truck/trailer.
The place he broke down had nice shade trees and picnic tables.
I took off for the closest store about 5 miles away.
Loaded my bags with beer, chips & salsa.
We made it out to be a small party.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Your kind of SOL on Sundays.
When we have headed out for weekend trips or even Sturgis.
I've put the trailer behind the truck, just in case. That way it is ready to go and I could even talk granny into coming and getting us.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well a tool kit, spare plugs, and a tire repair kit are worth their weight in gold. Xtra tubes and tire irons are also worthy of consideration. To me, a motorcycle is like a car, if you can't figure out the basics like fixing a flat, you shouldn't be driving it. And there are belt repair kits available. But you need to know how to use this **** before it happens. No offense intended.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Broke down in Ozona, Tx. on My way to San Antonio. Charges were taken care of By Road America, which You get with Your HOG membership.

Last edited by Dionicio; 08-30-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I joined AAA.

(if you go for the recreational vehicle option they'll find someone to come out and load your bike onto a bike trailer and get it to a dealer/repair facility.)

Doesn't get you all the way home, but you're better off than being stranded 100+ miles from home...

Haven't used it yet, but its there if/when the bike biffs in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
coiledup
Tourer

If you get AAA Plus RV it covers up to 100 miles of towing, and you get 4 of these tows per membership year. And if you scream loud enough they will let you use two of your tows at once to cover the 150 miles. They will show up in a shiny flatbed tow truck and load you up and take you home. If you have this service and are farther away from home they also offer trip interruption service that will reimburse you for things such as hotel rooms and meals, and toiletries. Head on down to your local AAA office and ask someone behind the counter to explain it. It's a no brainer.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
I joined AAA.

(if you go for the recreational vehicle option they'll find someone to come out and load your bike onto a bike trailer and get it to a dealer/repair facility.)

Doesn't get you all the way home, but you're better off than being stranded 100+ miles from home...

Haven't used it yet, but its there if/when the bike biffs in the middle of nowhere.
Better than a hundred miles from a bar also...don't forget, you can always check into
HD forums at the bottom of the page and ask someone in the state you are in for help.
I know if one of the FLORIDA CREW is available, or able to make a call...
you are one step closer to a 'friend'.
I have a truck and a trailer...if I can't help you fix it, I will help you stare at it. LOL

chuck

Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
if I can't help you fix it, I will help you stare at it. LOL

chuck
LOL
Too damn funny!

Quick Reply: Emergency Trailering: What to do???