Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive shocks and fork cartridges

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Bagman, first off you have an 07 roadglide from what you sig says, so my 09 is already lowered 1" in the rear, yours is not unless you changed shocks. So my rear ride height did not change from stock, besides once you dial in preload, it raises back up just like adding air to your shocks. You also have a 16" front tire/wheel combo unless I missed something. I cant comment on how the progressive combo would act on you cycle as I have an 09 with the updated frame and like I said, 1" lower in the rear stock. I can say that with the 21 wheel and stock front end, yes it handled quite a bit different at low speed, that was even before I did the progressive tubes. I said I did not install the c clips, if I had, this added pre load would have made the front end sit at stock level. I did not install them and it sits 1/2 to 3/4" lower. I wanted this to offset the 1.25" difference from the stock 17" 2009 front wheel to the 21 which is taller. By not installing the clips, I split the difference of the hi 21 with the stock 17 height. No I do not have any clunking noises, had lots of that when it bottomed out prior to the progressive tubes. As for the handling, its better with the 21 now that it sets a bit lower than before the tube install. It was a bit squirly at low speed before, nothing you did not get used to quickly though. As for ruts, I try not to drive in ruts. If you mean rain grooves or saw cuts or tar snakes, tire brand makes a world of difference in how your cycle reacts. The dunlops that came stock on your bike suck, they tend to follow every groove, cut or snake. Avon's or Metzler's do much less of that. Hope that answers some of your questions. Either way, the tubes and shocks are a great improvement over stock in my opinion. Again if you want a Cadillac ride, they wont give you that, a firmer, sportier, and secure ride you will have.

The 940s sit like a street glide or low profile (1" lower) shock but retain full travel. So yes on your bike it would drop the rear by an inch. And as others have agreed, it take a bit to dial them in for your own style/load of riding. Once there, they are a vast improvement over stock.

Progressive told you right, the clips ADD PRELOAD, thus raising the front to stock height, again without them, the static sag is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than stock.

Good Luck!

Last edited by 103Eagle; 08-31-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:33 AM
2002FLSTFBAGGER
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of GOD, do not heat and bend your stand! They are angling shims you can use to give more angle to the stand to solve this issue when you lower the bike.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went ahead and purchased the mono tubes and the 940 rear shocks. The rears are a great improvment over stock but the fronts are not . Im bottoming under hard braking and still has way too much brake dive for me. Im pulling them out today and putting Ricor intimadators in. Will report back on the results.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider SE heavy fork oil before spending the cash on the monotubes. Huge difference !!!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:43 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Default Thumbs up to Ricor

I went for my first ride with the intimators installed. All I can say is what a major leap forward from the progressive monotube cartridges. The brake dive is perfect and it just feels more connected to the road. I do have to add that I had a more agressive valving added for better handling at a sacrifice of ride quality. Its a very little loss of ride quality at that. I wish I had tried a heavy fork oil before doing anything but I didnt.
I dont work for either company. I am just looking to make my bike handle and stop better.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
m0ngor1an
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Ricor valves currently in my FXST, with Race Tech lowering springs (long story), dropped 1" using an extra top-out spring as spacer.

I love the way that it handles large bumps or dips currently, but am unhappy with the front fork performance over smaller bumps. Roads that are covered in small bumps or even asphalt cracks that have been sealed over are somewhat miserable to ride on. I have been considering just switching out the rather strong Race Tech springs with Progressive springs in hopes that it would smooth out this issue - then I saw that the monotube kit is available for Softails now (though not the lowered version yet).

rear disclaimer - the rear suspension is working beautifully. There I am running a Works Performance set with adjustable ride height.

So, my questions...

For anyone that has used both (monotube vs ricor), how do the two setups compare in actual riding?
sporacer - what factors drove you to switch the monotubes out for ricors? what springs are you running with the ricors?

finally... if anyone has any input on my current issue (bouncy response to small bumps), it would be greatly appreciated. Does my suspicion of "too tight a spring for the ricor" sound logical?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM
sporacer
Road Master

Originally Posted by m0ngor1an
I am running Ricor valves currently in my FXST, with Race Tech lowering springs (long story), dropped 1" using an extra top-out spring as spacer.

I love the way that it handles large bumps or dips currently, but am unhappy with the front fork performance over smaller bumps. Roads that are covered in small bumps or even asphalt cracks that have been sealed over are somewhat miserable to ride on. I have been considering just switching out the rather strong Race Tech springs with Progressive springs in hopes that it would smooth out this issue - then I saw that the monotube kit is available for Softails now (though not the lowered version yet).

rear disclaimer - the rear suspension is working beautifully. There I am running a Works Performance set with adjustable ride height.

So, my questions...

For anyone that has used both (monotube vs ricor), how do the two setups compare in actual riding?
sporacer - what factors drove you to switch the monotubes out for ricors? what springs are you running with the ricors?

finally... if anyone has any input on my current issue (bouncy response to small bumps), it would be greatly appreciated. Does my suspicion of "too tight a spring for the ricor" sound logical?
The progressive monotubes were bottoming out just grabing a fist full of brake. It would also bottom out during agressive road transitions. It was at stock height.
I am running the stock springs and synthetic 5 weight with the ricors. Now it feels like the back needs help again.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by m0ngor1an

So, my questions...

Not trying to hijack the thread but I hate to see a customer with issues.

Please call me when you get a chance and we'll get your ride worked out.

Thanks,

Brian

888-425-1333

Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
m0ngor1an
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ricor Shocks
Not trying to hijack the thread but I hate to see a customer with issues.

Please call me when you get a chance and we'll get your ride worked out.

Thanks,

Brian

888-425-1333
Thanks Brian. I'll call you soon.

I have a feeling that my issue is the stiff Race Tech springs (or I've got the oil level off).

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Progressive's springs to try pairing with the Ricors. I will be installing these shortly, and think I'm going to have some questions about determining proper oil level (for a lowered setup).