Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King owners: Check your bars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the post. I just swapped out my stock for 12.5 apes(chubby wild 1's). Will be posting up pictures this weekend! Glad you are ok.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
BDL
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The taller bars need to have the strock rubber bushings replaced with poly bushings. The clamp from MoCo that costs around $20 won't fit under the nacelle without some grinding. The one piece that does fit has a zinc finish and runs closer to $40, it's part# 55918-08. Larry

Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear you didn't spill 'er riding down the freeway...that would have...um....sucked.

Thanks for your post...and your service to our country!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 AM
h01waterman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ON my '99 Road King I had to change out the bushings that the bars are clamped to. The originals were worn out rubber the new ones were Teflon. This removed a lot of flex.

A couple of weeks after I did this job, my wife and I got cut off by a truck and that bike is gone. Sorry I do not have any pictures of the job.

I just figure that if you are in there.....

Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Blueneck
Intermediate
Location: at the bottom of the world, just a rocks though from the ice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i did this

replaced the grotty set up with duce risers and a street slammer cover, had to mill the ferules off the ends for them to go thou the cover

Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Enough that after 10 years, the bars gave out at the bottom, where the internal wires exit, and go into the nacelle.
I've seen this before. I'm inclined to think that the problem is more the opening that's been cut into the bars creating a weak spot than the top clamp design. Probably several million RK's on the road with a two piece top clamp, no internal wiring and no problems.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This summer I replaced the two clamps with the one piece HD clamp, and changed out the rubber bushings with some firmer urethane bushings. Prior to this, the two little clamps did not hold well and the bars would move forward and back from time to time.

Big difference with the single clamp and better bushing. Well work the 45 minutes of labor on my part.

Now I have much more peace of mind.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months ago, I was riding and noticed the handle bars had a bit of play. Almost 10 degrees difference. Replaced the bushings with poly. Rigid as you'd ever want it to be now. Only thing is the new bushings hold the short risers up just enough to keep the hole plugs that allow access to the top bolts on the risers (under the cap) from seating properly. I had thought of using the one piece clamp, but wasn't sure if there was ample clearance for those.

Got enough info from this post to satisfy my questions. Thanks all...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a '99 Road King and found the bars were almost cracked all the way throug in the middle, they were Harley Reduced Reach bars. The reason for this was, the guy I got it from tied it down by the bars for years. I replaced the bars with the same ones( I loved those bars) and the 1 piece clamp, problem solved. Sold that bike, now on my '03 Classic I put the Wild 1 Chuby's on, and their website highly suggests changing the clamp.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

replaced the grotty set up with duce risers and a street slammer cover, had to mill the ferules off the ends for them to go thou the cover
Blueneck, nice ride! Great Idea also.

Quick Reply: Road King owners: Check your bars!