Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide

Well finally got around to installing my Garmin Zumo 660 on my Road Glide. What an event this was. I had the system mounted to my clutch side controls on my EG and always hated it there cause the 660 hardwired leaves the big honking cradle. After a lot of research, I saw a thread over in CVO land where someone had gotten aluminum discs cut and mounted to the gas gauge spot. I went this route but used a different approach. I had an extra car mount and it comes with a 2.5" plastic disck for attaching to a dash and using the suction cup. So I moved my gas gauge down to the useless air temp spot. Originally used the car mount top piece that is 2-1/4" and the 2.-1/2" disk for inside the fairing, drilled two holes for screws. It worked, but wasn't weather proof, not hard wired, and the cradle would pop off easy from the little plastic ball.

So I Purchased this mount base http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...0/Default.aspx which is to big (I knew this going into it) in diameter.

Before diving in, I looked at the new HD clutch mounting kit, and it looks pretty clean, but my parts guy said it would only work with the HD version of the 660, not the Garmin version...??? WTF is up with that? So didn't even try it, plus my 660 cradle would be hanging on my bars all the time.

I cut the RAM-B-202 base down to fit into the dash and then used the 2.5" plastic disk as the backing. Cut a notch in the edge of the base and plastic disk for the wiring into the fairing and drilled 3 holes into the plastic disk for mounting with some left over allen heads and nuts I had laying around. Then I used the arm and cradle that comes with the Garmin 660.

It came out pretty darn good, well at least my wife was impressed I test rode it and it is rock solid, no vibration, closer then the radio (though it is a little bit of a reach), is just below eye level, and does not block anything.

See attached photos (sorry camera phone). Should work with any fairing bike once you decide on what to do with the useless air temp gauge.

I still don't understand why RAM or Harley hasn't come up with a mount system like this?

Attached Thumbnails My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide-img_0310.jpg   My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide-img_0311.jpg   My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide-img_0313.jpg  
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good.
I use my Air Temp hole for an Oil Temp gauge.
Here's another option, installed my Zumo 550 on the speedo/tach housing.
This is only pic I have right now.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Skywarrior
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
Before diving in, I looked at the new HD clutch mounting kit, and it looks pretty clean, but my parts guy said it would only work with the HD version of the 660, not the Garmin version...??? WTF is up with that? So didn't even try it, plus my 660 cradle would be hanging on my bars all the time.
That doesn't make sense. Why would Garmin make hardware specifically for H-D? I'd bet they're the same units, but the one sold by Harley has a list of dealers included with the map set.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 AM
DougM
Tourer

I love what you did! I've thought about the same only cutting my own blank with a hole saw and using the RAM ball on the threaded post. What was the final size you had to make the base? Is it 2"?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skywarrior
That doesn't make sense. Why would Garmin make hardware specifically for H-D? I'd bet they're the same units, but the one sold by Harley has a list of dealers included with the map set.
I work for Garmin. We don't make the bracket for them. I believe the only difference between the Garmin Zumo and the Road Tech is the cable. HD wanted the splits in the cable to be smaller so a smaller hole could be drilled when running the cable through the fairing.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your in trouble now. We now have our Garmin answer man!!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JollyRogers that's a pretty good setup. Nice work. If you wanted to add the oil temp gauge later maybe you can go with the engine mounted version.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Originally Posted by MassHD
Your in trouble now. We now have our Garmin answer man!!
I'm just the janitor

Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great place for a GPS, only problem is that you will never know the outside temp.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Originally Posted by DougM
I love what you did! I've thought about the same only cutting my own blank with a hole saw and using the RAM ball on the threaded post. What was the final size you had to make the base? Is it 2"?
THe final size is a smidge over 2-1/4".

As far as air temp, its either just right, hot, or too cold... why do we need it?

My oil pressure gauge will be frame mounted I think, or find another spot.

For the Garmin guy. Why does Garmin/RAM not make a kit like this? I thought of sending Garmin or RAM the info on what I did and ask them to make some and only give me one kit for the idea.

Thanks for the compliments. I love it and have been using it a week now.

Quick Reply: My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide