Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 AM
dres22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best use of the air temp gage yet!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Skywarrior
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RLembke
I work for Garmin. We don't make the bracket for them. I believe the only difference between the Garmin Zumo and the Road Tech is the cable. HD wanted the splits in the cable to be smaller so a smaller hole could be drilled when running the cable through the fairing.
If I get the H-D mount will my Garmin 665 work?

Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job. Hope to something similar with my ultra. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
For the Garmin guy. Why does Garmin/RAM not make a kit like this? I thought of sending Garmin or RAM the info on what I did and ask them to make some and only give me one kit for the idea.
I don't see why RAM wouldn't be interested in such a mount. As far as Garmin is concerned, we have to take a more universal approach for mounting. When HD/BMW/etc want a more tailored solution, we will work with them. Like I mentioned, the HD version of the Zumo is exact except for obvious color and marking changes and a different cable. BMW wanted to keep the left side dedicated buttons so we added those to the unit for them. Regarding mounting, since RAM has so many patents on what is the best mounting solution for a wide range of motorcycles, we just buy their stuff.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact RAM with the idea. They could easily put together an HD Fairing Gauge Opening Mount Kit. Go for it!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I emailed RAM yesterday about the idea, sent them my photos and description ,sizes etc... Waiting to see if something comes back or not.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
milkbone96
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Before diving in, I looked at the new HD clutch mounting kit, and it looks pretty clean, but my parts guy said it would only work with the HD version of the 660, not the Garmin version...??? WTF is up with that? So didn't even try it, plus my 660 cradle would be hanging on my bars all the time."

BS. I bought a zumo 660 on sale for $599CDN from a local GPS/Ham radio store in Toronto - Radioworld - and after deciding the supplied h/w would not do, I went to my local HD dealer and bought the handlebar mount kit (p/n 92378-09) after seeing it installed on an EG Std. Worked flawlessly on my '07 Ultra. After checking volts and amps with a multimeter, I spliced the 660's power wire into the hot lead off the cigarette lighter to make the electrical connection easier. A little playing with the position of the unit and I can still see the gas gague pretty well.... my $0.02 worth....

Milkbone

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada

Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

@Milkbone, thanks for clearing that up! Oh well, lost sale for my local dealer because of ignorance. I didn't want them on the bars anyways, just was considering because the HD mount looked a little cleaner. Was considering the wiring harness, but with that $ price, think I will go with the mod to the radio to have the aux port in the back.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skywarrior
If I get the H-D mount will my Garmin 665 work?
I will be around a 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO today and will make sure but I am 95% sure it will work.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Or as I now read 2 posts up, yes 100%. Thanks Milkbone.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
jvalny
Advanced

Nice and very very clean looking

Quick Reply: My Garmin 660 Dash mount on Road Glide