Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turtleman57
+1 on Wheels Through Time Museum!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
rsavage
Tourer

+ 1 on Biltmore. If you are in the Asheville area, it's a must see. Took the wife last week when we went down to ride the BRP and didn't think I would really enjoy it. I was awed. There is very little on the parkway itself. Tons of stuff when you get off. For a little excitement get off west of Asheville and come down the mountain on route 151. 215 is also a nice ride back up to the parkway from the Canton NC area. Lots of very cool tunnels on the parkway from Asheville north towards Linville Falls. Absolutely gorgeous riding. You will enjoy.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
+1 on Wheels Through Time Museum!
+ 3 (or 4, whatever number it's at now). It didn't move, i'm assuming he got some state support which he was looking for. I will tell you, if you haven't been, and you truly love motorcycles, this place will drop your jaw. And... last time i was there there was only 3 things that didn't run. You might not think this is a big deal until you go in there.

After all this talk i think me and the wife will head up this weekend! Especially seeing i just picked up the new 2010 RG!

Best of luck on your trip. No matter what you do it will be a beautiful ride!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If you can, time your arrival at the TOTD for a weekday. Weekends are a mess. I enjoy the BRP and the adjacent roads more than the madness that surrounds the dragon.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM
al baehr
Tourer

Ok , I am going up for the 3 day weekend , but now I decided to stay the week after reading all the posts, this will be my 4th time out but I love the area more everytime, Last year i did the whole BLP and did all the main routes around the dragon, this year I think I will just try to get lost out there..

Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

I like the BRP but the supporting roads all along are even better in my opinion...28, 221, 181. 80, 209, 1301(Wayah rd), 276...And all the roads that i don't remember the names and #...get an atlas or a NC map and go on the littlest squirly roads....try to get lost...you will end up finding the best jewels of roads....
OH! remember that 1/2 a tank of gas is not necessarily enough....so gas up when you can.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 AM
softtailrider
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. This will make my third trip on the Dragon. Second this year. Only been on the parkway once from Asheville To Virgina so I'm really looking forward to this part of the ride. Never got off the parkway during that ride except to go to Mt. Airy, NC. Will have at least 3 other people with me that have never ridden any of this area so I,m kinda the tour guide for this trip. Probably won,t have time for the Biltmore but Wheels Through time is a must.
I,ll report when we get back and thanks again for all the info.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 AM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by diggerv
+1 on grandfather mountain.

I good place to eat on your way is Freebornes. It is right off the parkway, going north at the second exit for route 18. http://www.freebornes.com/

Wheels Through Time is a must!

There are a lot of over looks. Really great ride.

Caution... there is some resurfacing in Virgina, past Fancy Gap. Also watch for the bridges when you get into NC... they are bumpy.

Give us a ride report when you get home... would like to hear all about it.
+1 on Freeborne's - if you want a good, filling meal, this is the place to stop!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 AM
ptcs
Advanced

Originally Posted by klap
..cherohala skyway...the road between Bristol and Mountain city..& the pig trail...

You are correcto!!! The road number is state route 421...I live about three miles off that road on Boone Lake..This area is great to ride regardless of the road you are on..another good ride is highway 58 going from Bristol to Gate City. This road is actually just inside the Virginia state line...then cross over into Tennessee and go down thru Kingsport and on over to Johnson City right over the Blue Ridge mts to Ashville then up to GrandFather Mt....super ride!!!

Last edited by ptcs; 08-30-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if you have a overnight stay around Ashville or not but there is a super clean Super 8 in Black Mountain (15 miles east of Ashville) that is very reasonable with a pretty good Mexican restraunt that you can walk to right next door. You can't get liquor there but they serve beer.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway ride