Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding Headwork

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010 | 07:05 PM
bennenrkc
|
Tourer
Default Question regarding Headwork

I have been having a problem with my starter kicking back in the heat with my build, a standard 103 Stage II build. To remedy this I am thinking about installing manual compression releases. This brings about the question of headwork since I am having the heads off anyway. The qoute I got from the dealer, who has always been good to me was $600 for the manual compression releases and polishing the heads. Which seems like a good deal to me. However, I wish i would have known more in the first place and did the headwork up front, So now I am resigned to make sure I know enough going in. The goal is more torque for little cost. Headwork seems to be right direction, as I dont want to change my exhaust. What do I need to know when talking to the dealer about having them do the headwork?

Old 08-28-2010 | 07:19 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Can your dealer actually massage the heads...or hack them up and tell you they're massaged?
Have you SEEN any heads they massaged?
I'd be surprised if your dealer can do head work.
Do they have flow benches?
Did they show you the flow bench?

Theres a company that several forum members on here use...I think it's Big Boyz...something like that.
Someone will chime in their name.
I think they're about $400 and they can do REAL head work, not hack jobs.

Last edited by BadPiggy; 08-28-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2010 | 07:25 PM
bennenrkc
|
Tourer

How hard is to change out the heads myself? Second question how bad do I **** off the dealer by asking them to do the labor of taking off the heads without having them do the headwork job?

Old 08-28-2010 | 07:29 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Service Manual
Buy one!
It's not as bad as you think long as you have decent tools and some mechanical ability.

Old 08-28-2010 | 07:37 PM
bennenrkc
|
Tourer

Have the service manual, just have this fear of doing engine work on my road king, and lacking in time right now. Just need to get over it.

Old 08-28-2010 | 07:54 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Theres more to head work than just polishing.The indy that did my build does his own work.He has all the equipment needed,including a flow bench.
Some of the local dealers send the heads to him.

Old 08-28-2010 | 08:02 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

www.bigboyzheadporting.com

Give these guys a call.
Let them know what you have and where you want to go with it.

Old 08-28-2010 | 08:22 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

What I remember from my hot rod days is the way to benefit from ported and polished heads was to lower the gearing because porting and polishing increases flow and HP but decreases bottom end torque. Kind of like a camshaft; more HP but on the upper end of the RPM range. I'm sure the same rules would apply to a v-twin.

Correct me gearheads. Am I senile or is this right?

Old 08-28-2010 | 08:31 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Exactly BP, I am sending my Dyna heads to him, getting teh street port and taller springs to make room for the S&S 570 easy start cams. Can fit without taller springs but after talking to Bean (owner big boys) it would be very close, getting the streey port and springs for $410, no CR's needed because of the easy start cam, will do the work myself most likely.

Call Bean and talk with him, great guy to discuss motor work with and good dude in general, very reasonable prices and great rep on this, the best forum (non **** at least) in the world.

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
www.bigboyzheadporting.com

Give these guys a call.
Let them know what you have and where you want to go with it.

Old 08-29-2010 | 11:30 AM
bennenrkc
|
Tourer

So I havent been able to get a hold of him yet, surprise since it is sunday. But would like to ask everyones opinion as to what the best compression is for the 255 cams, or the woods tw-6-6, or woods 555. As I have read several times it is best to pick parts that work well together. If I am going to change heads then maybe I need to change other things as well. Any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Question regarding Headwork