Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the new frame works best for those that really push their bikes around curves and such. I find that my 2008 105th Anniversary Ultra is everything I could want....except the 6th gear vibration. Now if the new gearing creates a significantly smoother ride at 70-80mph...then I'd be really interested in changing

Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, the new frame and 3" wider rear tire are huge improvements. It would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - I had an '07 SG and traded it for an '09 Ultra, and the difference (to me) was night and day. I wouldn't go back - and I've heard from a couple of dealers that the re-sale/trade-in value on the pre-'09's is hurting right now. I thought that might happen once used '09's started hitting the street, which pushed me to making the trade when I did. I'm very happy with the '09.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Coming off a 07 RKC which I loved, I have to agree with everyone else. Have my 09 Ultra, will have 40 k on it soon, put 30 k on my RKC in a year and a half so I have a good amount of experience on both bikes.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM
speadfreak1
Cruiser

The old provides a MUCH softer ride. New handles great, but boy oh boy, you feel everything due to the stiffer frame.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a 2008 8 weeks ago and am very happy with it. Would I have liked a 2009? Sure, who wouldn't. Would I pass up a good deal on a 2007 or 2008? No way. 2006 and earlier, I wouldn't buy only because of the inferior brakes and smaller motor.

I got a very fair deal on my 2008 and the difference of ~$4k wasn't worth a bigger tire and new frame. Besides that I really liked the color combo. There is always newer and better. Its no different when buying a computer. If you wait to buy the latest and greatest, you'll never buy one since they are always changing "this" and tweaking "that". You need to decide what fits your budget and riding style. The reality is its a touring bike not a crotch rocket.

I just got back from a 2 day 800 mile trip with my wife through some really twisty back country roads. I installed a bagger brace before I left not because I noticed handling issues before but because of all the associated press regarding the handling I read on the forums. I found it handled great, I scraped the floorboards several times and never lacked confidence in the bikes ability. Furthermore, the stock tires have 9000 miles on them. I bet it would be even better with new skins but that will have to wait until next year

Last edited by cruzmisl; 08-28-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My 06 isn't the latest and greatest I guess, but it sure does ride nice especially with the new dunlop E3s. I LOVE THIS FREAKIN" THING.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned a couple 2009 touring models (a Road Glide and a Road King).....notice the past tense in ownership.

I still own my 2002 Road King because it is extremely well built and stable....including stability at high speeds (100+ mph) and fast/sharp corners. In my opinion, there was not that much of a difference in the handling of the new bikes. I'll give a slight advantage to the Brembo brakes (which you can put on a 2007 and older bike if you wanted to). I did find the new frame handled slightly better in high speed cornering....the type that most would never (or rarely) attempt with a bagger anyway. So in my opinion, the new frame is not some incredible magical design that totally transforms these bikes.

But, my 2002 Road King has some things that the newer bikes do not have. It has a stong bottom end on it TC88....forged crank, timken.....and each year the newer engines have fewer parts in them, almost as if they are going "disposable". Funny how HD has been able to lower the price on the newer bikes, or keep them about the same. Something is getting cheapened up to accomplish that.

If I were in the market for a used bike, I would not walk away from the older bikes.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:49 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Go with the newer bike

Old 08-28-2010, 06:57 PM
jack49
Road Captain

I've been riding my 06 RK for five years now and it's been flawless,
with the exception of a a bad front motor mount and two burnt out
passing lamp bulbs. Say what you want about the earlier 88" bikes,
but I think they're awesome machines,and durability can't be questioned.
Next year HD will come out something new and the salesman will be telling
you 10 and 11 owners that your bikes aren't worth squat for trade in.
Thats the way it's always been and always will be.
New is better,right? or is it.

Quick Reply: Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?