Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gusltd
Having had a 2000 rk and owning a 2010 glide, i can say the new bike does handle much better. It would not be a deal breaker for me. If i was looking and i found a really good deal on a clean pre-09, i would jump all over it and quit reading threads like this and just ride the **** out of it! Good luck!
So why are you reading threads like this!?
Terry

Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had the money sitting in my savings account to go pay cash for an 09 or newer I still wouldn't do it because I can think of a thousand other things to spend that money on besides a bike, I think mostly what paying for a new bike gets you is bragging rights, I have a 99, I ride the hell out of it, I have been south twice, north once this year, I ride the twisties, and the straights, I keep up with the other riders in the group, and have to wait for some of them, I have never had a close call because of the bike, I am going to have to replace the R/H floor board because it is getting pretty thin now, I love my bike and I ride it...hard, it has never let me down, and has never scared the hell out of me, I wouldn't hesitate to take the best deal I could find!
Terry
Edited to add: and with all the guys out there that thought they needed an 09 or newer only to find out they still couldn't afford it an 09 just might be the best deal!

Last edited by TMair; 08-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Called2Duty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one word, three letters.......

Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newer is not always better. The 10 does corner considerably better (especially when we are two-up) but it is much stiffer...you feel everything whereas the 08 was significantly softer on bumps in the road.

The 08 version ran much stronger than my current 10 does with the same build. Though I have taken the cat off and will get it tuned next time I'm next to a tuner...I am assuming that will make a difference....

So...if you are riding heavy: two-up lots of gear, then I think the new frame is worth it. If you are solo and cruising long distances...I'm not sure the jump is worth the money.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I used to dread riding on rain grooved highways with my 02 RKC because it felt like it was on ice. That, ABS and the 6 gallon tank are the reasons I traded an otherwise very nice RKC for my 09 SG. I am told now that different tires would fix that wallowing on the Rain grooves, so I might have considered the 08 if that were true. Still, the new frame is rock solid and a pleasure to ride. My BMW and Honda buddies agree.

Beary

Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
rmouse
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 08 road King for a 10 this spring the only reason I did the deal was to get ABS. In 8,000 miles of riding the 10 here are a few things I noticed, power to the rear wheel is down, the wide rear tire wallows around at slow speed when there are ruts in the asphalt, the seat it terrible and higher than the 08. The 10 takes more effort to set up in a corner but carves a truer line. The ride on the 10 is rougher and you will feel every expansion joint in the highway. The new front tire does not minimize the pucker factor when you encounter tar snakes during a turn. If I were able to undo the process I would look harder for an 08 with ABS and ride the hell out of it.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
I was wondering how important the new updated frame really is to most of you guys on touring bikes. I've read a lot of stuff on the subject and most people rave about this new frame but it's on the 2009s and newer. Is the ride quality like night and day better, in that you'd pass up a touring bike built before 2009?

In a perfect world, I'd find a good deal on a used 2009 touring bike but most used bikes for sale tend to be a bit older then that, so it's pretty much slim pickings for bikes with the updated frame.

I like the idea of the bigger engine that came along in 2007, so I don't know if I'd go any older then that but what do you think about this new frame they started using?

I have a 2006 SG. I do not plan on "upgrading" anytime soon. New frame or no new frame.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes...to the original question.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought an 09 Ultra and didn't have an earlier version so I don't have much experience to compare, except that I rode one of my buddies 2008 several times and I can tell the difference in handling. That's due to not only the new frame but also the wider rear tire.
Another buddy also had an 08 Ultra with a 103 stage 2 and he traded it on a 2010 Ultra Limited 1 month ago.
He says that compared to his 08, handling is night and day but he misses the power of his 08. The 103" on the 2010 Ultra Ltd is not as powerful and torquey as a 103" stage 2 kit. Not even close.
He knows he's gonna have to shell another 2 grand for airkit, race tuner, headers, and cams, just to match what he had before, and that p*sses him off.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

I have an 07 ultra but have ridden an 09 quite a bit. I,m short, so I don't touch the ground very well. The new frame is so much stiffer I don't like the hard ride no matter the air in the shocks, wider, so it's harder to balance and 45 pounds heavier than the old frame so it's that much slower also. I'll keep what I have!

Quick Reply: Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?