Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '05 EG Classic, loved the bike. A family friend bought an '09 EG Classic. I took it for a short spin around the block. I noticed the difference immediately. Now I own THAT bike.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
al baehr
Tourer

Buy what you can afford and go out and enjoy the ride, you really cant go wrong either way, I just got a new 2010 but I enjoyed my 02 and 06 just as much. You can find a older model with all the mods already done for a sweet deal, that gives you more gas many to put on some miles.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last year I had my '98 Ultra totaled. I would not settle for any year older than the '09 because of the new frame. I am so happy with it. I just passed the one year anniversary and have 26,500 miles already.

If I had to get the older frame, I would not consider any year older than the '08.
It is the first year of the 6 gallon fuel tank and Throttle by Wire. The second year of the 96" motor, Brembo brakes, and 6 Speed transmission. The 6 gallon fuel tank makes cross country touring a breeze.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 PM
one_roadking
4th Gear
Default Go 09

Owned and rode the older frame's. I bought an 09 and the wide tire and handling are noticeable.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my '03 RKC, an extremely enjoyable riding, rock solid dependable touring bike. With that said, the improved frame, 6 speed, better brakes/ABS and more rubber on the road are all things worth having. I'll eventually pick up a babied, low mile '09 or '10 in the next few years, but I'll always have my '03 when the newer bike breaks.

-Dusty

Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 PM
ronn39
Road Master

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
.... Is the ride quality like night and day better, in that you'd pass up a touring bike built before 2009?
In a single word: YES

Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I have owned many Harleys throughout the years and I currently have a 2006 Softail and a 2008 Ultra. In most respects, the bikes are improved a little every year. The new frame is stiffer than the prior frame and handling is marginally improved. I have done a week and 1800 miles on a 2010 this year and found the ride nearly identical to my 08. There is nothing wrong with the 08 and down frames. You never hear of one failing and I personally have never felt one wobble or met anyone IN PERSON who has either. I have read about it on the internet but again, have never met anyon in person who has experienced it. Having said all of that, I would recommend you get as new of a bike as you can afford. If you can afford to buy new...buy new. If you can only afford a 2008, buy a 2008.

I tour with a lot of different riders. Some on Goldwings, some on EVOs, some on jap cruisers, some on Ultras, some on trikes. At the end of a long day in the saddle no one is talking about the latest do-dad or gizmo Harley or any other brand has come out with. We are having a few cocktails, a few laughs and sharing some of the sights and experiences of the day. Folks have been touring this great country for more than 100 years on Harleys (and you don't hear stories of frame failures). Go get the one you can afford and hit the road. Its a great way to see the country and build some memories.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The new frames are nice, but lets get real. It's still a flexy flier. There's only so much stiffening you can do with these big dreadnoughts. I've got a 07 and installed a Ride Str8 swingarm link. It's comfy as can be, and it's plenty stiff enough for me to drag my footboards whenever I want to.

As far as I can tell, the biggest reason for the new frame was that it was a great deal cheaper to produce.

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
Greaseball mentioned his 2002 Road King, I've read a few comments on this forum about the 2002s and the 2009s being popular years, what was so great about the 2002 model year?

I'm just trying to educate myself as much as possible and this is probably the most active forum around for Harleys.
2002 will go down as one of the very best years for the touring bikes. It was the last year for Timkencrank bearings, and that's not a small deal. The new cranks are crap in comparison. There's so much run-out in the new cranks that you can't change to gear drive cams even if you wanted to. In 02 you also got Delphi fuel injection and the updated swingarm and 1" rear axle. The down side is the cam tensioners in the older motors.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:17 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking the same thing but i decided to keep my '04. You can have a pre08 at a lower price and keep the money to make it your own like ape, wheels, extended bags, paint and so on. I ride a 09 and the new frame is better than the old one but not so if you put the missing ling (Progressive Suspension for me)
Hope it help

Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Every Harley ever built is eventually resold, just look around. Nobody stashes away bikes that can be run just because something else is more popular. There are plenty of AMF Harleys, Panheads and even Flatheads running around. So bottom line, there is a bike out there for everyone. If you find something you like, buy it. Not everyone is looking for a new 09' or newer bike. There are plenty of good deals out there.

Quick Reply: Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?