Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Road-end
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 09 and newer are the only why go, And I say that becuase I plan on selling mine
to get the the New 11CVO, If Harley keeps making them.
I think the used bikes will go in value this spring, just becasue Harley not making many over the last few years.
but there are dealers that still have NEW 2009's on the show room floor,
But i would go 2009 or newer over the later models, but my 2003 RK was a nice bike JUST GET A BIKE AND RIDE RIDE RIDE Until the Wheels fall off

Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I talked to a friend last Thurs with a 2010 Street Glide. He wasn't very impressed with the ride. "Buckboard" I think he said. He put pre 08 Electra Glide shocks on it. He told me it rode like a Cadillac.

In beefing up the frame in 09, Harley may have made the rear shocks too stiff. Probl great for 2-up.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
jimgaf
Cruiser

I have had my 97 RK for many years and recently purchased an 09 SG. I was looking for an 08 based on ABS and price. This forum talked me into an 09 based on the frame. If I ever need to sell, I think that will be a selling point.

I'm sure the frame creates better handling, but I am realistic enough to know I will not be that aggresive of a rider to push the technology to it's limits. Anyone here that thinks they do, are most likely over optimistic in their abilities.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greaseball
I've owned a couple 2009 touring models (a Road Glide and a Road King).....notice the past tense in ownership.

I still own my 2002 Road King because it is extremely well built and stable....including stability at high speeds (100+ mph) and fast/sharp corners. In my opinion, there was not that much of a difference in the handling of the new bikes. I'll give a slight advantage to the Brembo brakes (which you can put on a 2007 and older bike if you wanted to). I did find the new frame handled slightly better in high speed cornering....the type that most would never (or rarely) attempt with a bagger anyway. So in my opinion, the new frame is not some incredible magical design that totally transforms these bikes.

But, my 2002 Road King has some things that the newer bikes do not have. It has a stong bottom end on it TC88....forged crank, timken.....and each year the newer engines have fewer parts in them, almost as if they are going "disposable". Funny how HD has been able to lower the price on the newer bikes, or keep them about the same. Something is getting cheapened up to accomplish that.

If I were in the market for a used bike, I would not walk away from the older bikes.
+1!!
Moe

Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM
printer2
5th Gear
Smile Ride

I have a 2008 Road King Classic and love the ride. Great bike.
Chicago

Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make yourself happy and buy the bike that you feel connected too.

You will not know that until you ride them and make your own comparisons. I really like my 08 FLHX and have ridden the newer bikes. I will be keeping my current ride and have no reason to sell, as stated earlier in this post I don't ride my bike like a crotch rocket.

Happy shopping.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

At the risk of sounding very parochial or defensive about pre 09 frames, I too thought the new frame would make a major difference compared to my 08 SG. I rented an 10 Road King a few months ago and rode the dragon on it with a passenger. While it handled fine I honestly could not tell any difference between it and my 08 SG equipped with the Bagger Brace and 21/18 wheel/tire setup. I really thought I would.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At one of the dealer demo ride days, my dealer had a used '08 Ultra to ride and a new '10 Limited to ride back to back....so I did. Night and day difference. The new framed '10 was so much easier to control at low speeds and seemed to be more solid feeling going down the highway. I was impressed....and bought a new '10 Ultra.

BTW - I also love my '02 RKC and it is a wonderful bike and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've built it to be exactly what I want...but:

I can be on my '02 RKC for around 300 miles (a day) before I start to wear out my back and butt. I can ride my '10 Ultra for 500+ miles a day before my back or butt start to hurt. I suppose that tells me something about the new design.

Last edited by equandt; 12-17-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I ended up riding an 07 Classic and an 09 Ultra back to back for about an hour each. The 2 things that stood out that didn't work for me, 07 seat is pushed forward into tank, at slow idle while feathering clutch slow speed handling was harder on the 07. I know I could get use to the vibration and the seat. Modifications can be made to the 07 but I decided on the 09. Price was reasonable and I was able to get the service records on the bike. Bike still has factory warranty so I will extend the warranty the first of next year.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
At one of the dealer demo ride days, my dealer had a used '08 Ultra to ride and a new '10 Limited to ride back to back....so I did. Night and day difference. The new framed '10 was so much easier to control at low speeds
OK I'll skip over the lecture about riders that own newer ('09 and up) bikes are convinced the new design is much improved and bikers that don't own newer bikes are convinced they aren't worth the investment. It's an ownership bias thing. I get it.

But I've got to ask after reading about the new FLH design and all of its "improvements" this is the first one I've read about "easier to control at low speeds." After watching the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KKx7cB-Ok it's difficult to believe they could be improved. Anybody else out there include "easier to control at low speeds" as an '09 and up improvement

If this keeps up I'm going to have to take a chance on one of those potentially expensive test rides.

Quick Reply: Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?