Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

With the way the rear tire wears out and the higher prices for the wider tire, I'd look for deals on older touring models. There are so many people out there that bought a bike then decided they don't want to ride them. You can get killer deals out there. I love my '05 so much that what's the sense of even testing the new frame.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
I was wondering how important the new updated frame really is to most of you guys on touring bikes. I've read a lot of stuff on the subject and most people rave about this new frame but it's on the 2009s and newer. Is the ride quality like night and day better, in that you'd pass up a touring bike built before 2009?

In a perfect world, I'd find a good deal on a used 2009 touring bike but most used bikes for sale tend to be a bit older then that, so it's pretty much slim pickings for bikes with the updated frame.

I like the idea of the bigger engine that came along in 2007, so I don't know if I'd go any older then that but what do you think about this new frame they started using?
I have a 08 Ultra, and never had any wobble trouble, but my wife rides with me a lot and she bought me a Bagger Brace. Put that on and the bike is as tight as any frame IMO. so to answer your question I would and did buy a pre 09 bike and have been totally satisfied with it, long trips, short trips, aroundtown, etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I'm perfectly happy with my 2008. I recently rented a 2010 on vacation and didn't notice any difference in handling.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented an '08 bike and rode it through the Smoky Mountains for a day, 2-up with my wife. Handled ok and power was adequate. I bought an '11 SG with powerpak option. Night and day difference in handling plus the smooth torque with the 103" and the Antilock Brembo's. If you haven't owned an '09 or later bike then you will be perfectly happy with the older bike and will save a lot of money up-front. If you plan on keeping it awhile, spring for a new one, you won't regret it!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's hard to believe that a three year old rental bike didn't handle as good as a new one!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

Umm, aren't all pre'09 bikes at least 3 years old? The bike seemed well maintained and didn"t have an over abundance of miles. I certainly am no expert bike rider/master of cornering but even I could tell a noticable difference. Just sayin...

Old 12-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The moco really did a nice job getting some of the squirrely behavior sorted out of the new bikes. However, the old bikes can be made to handle just as well, if not better with a few suspension updates. Most guys will add a swingarm link and update tires, and call it good. And that does really make a big difference, but it's a job only half-done. I recently rode a bike with several suspension updates, and it not only handled as well as the new bikes, it still had most of the suppleness of the old bikes. Here's what the owner told me he did.

1: Tires. Elite 3 front and rear. A 160 out back.
2: Swingarm brace. I think he was using a Progressive link.
3: Sta bo swingarm bushings
4: Glide Pro front motor mount
5: Progressive shocks.

Big list, but still cheaper than buying a new bike. It tracked every bit as good as the new frame bikes, and turned in better and the ride was still reasonably cushy. The owner is pretty fussy about his bike, and has put some big money into his motor, so a new bike was not in the cards for him.

You could also make some changes to the new bike to tighten things up, but most guys who have those bikes seem to feel that they handle good enough already.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by g money
Where are you riding aggressively in Pittsburgh?
Gary D.
A couple friends live there. I've trailered my little CB550 there in 09, and rode my Hayabusa out there with a friend in June of this past year (and the ultimate discomfort on the ride pushed me over the edge, it went up for sale like a week later!). Everything out there by you is lightyears better than what we have in Detroit, but the one ride that stands out in my mind was a ride down 79 to 50, then over to 88, down into Wheeling, WV.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Based on your question...I rode a 2008 & then got on a 2010 & there was a noticeable difference in handling & power (at least btwn those 2 bikes). '08 had Rineharts & 2010 was stock. Now, if price is a factor then I would definitely buy a pre'09 because the bike is still a great bike just not as great as the newer framed bikes.
Bottom line...get the best bike you can afford or wait a little longer & save some more $$$$ to get the better bike.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
A couple friends live there. I've trailered my little CB550 there in 09, and rode my Hayabusa out there with a friend in June of this past year (and the ultimate discomfort on the ride pushed me over the edge, it went up for sale like a week later!). Everything out there by you is lightyears better than what we have in Detroit, but the one ride that stands out in my mind was a ride down 79 to 50, then over to 88, down into Wheeling, WV.
Next time go north on 79 and over 80 to Clarion, cooks forest or the allegheny national forest. Or 28 out of Pittsburgh to 66, then to the forest. Dats some good ridin!!
Gary D.

Quick Reply: Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?