Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 PM
wannabe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife rides an 08 RKC and I have an '10 SG, I don't think mine handles any better or worse they both have progressive 412-12" rear shocks and we both agree that hers is a smoother ride. I have to agree with qtrracer, get what you want and try to ignore all the hype.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
rpeters282
Cruiser

After riding a '76 and '78 for over 30 years, my new '08 UC is a dream come true. Can't speak for the new frame. I just know that after riding those shaking, wobbling, vibrating, Electra Glides - who seemed to be trying to come apart at 70mph, the '08 UC is in another class totally. 96" motor, ABS, and a Stage 1. Lovin' it. I guess it's where you came from.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
No I would not, 99% of the riders out there couldn't tell the difference if it was possible for an objective test. Anyone who has bought one is biased, and the 2 frame types are set up different anyways, different sized wheels and tires just for starters. Get what you like and don't fall for all the hype.
Make the rear tire of any bike an inch and a half wider like HD did when they changed to the new frame and the ride's going to feel noticably different before you even leave the parking lot new frame or not.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would and did pass up pre-2009's for a hundred reasons.

Glad I did.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Originally Posted by speadfreak1
The old provides a MUCH softer ride. New handles great, but boy oh boy, you feel everything due to the stiffer frame.
I think this is a great decision point. How are you gonna ride it, and how long will you keep it?

If you just want a relaxing tourer, then taking advantage of the lower sale values of the pre09 bikes might be a great deal and give you some cash for making it the way you want it.

If you like getting on it a bit in the twisties then it might make more sense to pony up for 09 or newer.

If you have any thought at all of trading it in the next couple of years, then get the new one.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

how in the world did we, who have the 08 and older frames ever survive? the new frames are supposed to be great, but they've not stood the test of time. the 08 and older frames work just fine, and i would not trade mine in to get the new one with the hockey pucks for motormounts at the first bend of the downtubes. stopping a continuous run of tubing at the first bend of the downtube to weld in a perpendicular piece of tubing to capture the hockey puck? that's what you get with the 09 and newer frame. most guys tend to like the new frame. i'm very happy to own my now antique 08. i would not shy away from an older bike at all, as long as it was in good shape. some of us just don't feel the need for the newest whiz bang gizmo that comes out, thanks anyway. when the v-rod/revolution motor comes out in the touring, i'm guessing the same folks will think their pre revolution powered machines are obsolete, go figure.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Road Glide Charley
Advanced

Traded my 08 because the wife rear ended me at a light. She got a different bike and I traded mine for a 11 RGU. Love the new bike. Loved the old bike. I will love the next bike.
To answer the original question, if you can afford new, buy it. If you wanna save money, get what you can afford or willing to spend......... and love it.
Who ever bought a new toy and frowned when they looked at it?
On that note, why does everyone have to be stoic when they ride? Is it the heavy concentration of piloting the ride? Is it the need to look tough? What's up with that? I normally smile the whole time I am riding it.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No just because there are fixes available to make the pre 09 bikes handle as well as any out there.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Seadweller
Intermediate

I've never ridden an '09 or later bike, but am a recent new owner of a an '08 Road King. Coming straight from 30+ years of riding sport bikes, the last of which was a Ducati 851, I was quite surprised at how well my Road King handles.

I was expecting it to be heavy, slow, and cumbersome, but it's really not. Once in motion, it feels lightweight and nimble, but it rides like a Cadillac on the freeway.

If the new frame is that much better, I'll have to ride one, but based on my short ownership of my '08, I don't think I'd pay to trade up.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
I was wondering how important the new updated frame really is to most of you guys on touring bikes. I've read a lot of stuff on the subject and most people rave about this new frame but it's on the 2009s and newer. Is the ride quality like night and day better, in that you'd pass up a touring bike built before 2009?

In a perfect world, I'd find a good deal on a used 2009 touring bike but most used bikes for sale tend to be a bit older then that, so it's pretty much slim pickings for bikes with the updated frame.

I like the idea of the bigger engine that came along in 2007, so I don't know if I'd go any older then that but what do you think about this new frame they started using?

hold out for the new frame!

Quick Reply: Would you pass up a pre-2009 because it hasn't got the updated frame?