Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed shock oil today.Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently changed the oil in my shocks and forks. I went with Amsoil 10 wt shock Therapy in the rear shocks. Great improvement. Riding solo, I run about 5 psi. Don't really need any riding solo, but for dampening purposes I put 5 PSI in. Lot of misinformation about the Showa Shocks on touring bikes. They are better shocks than people give them credit.

I used SE fork oil in the forks. helped a lot with the front end dive when stopping.

The following users liked this post:
mrbreezeett1 (02-28-2020)
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I recently changed the oil in my shocks and forks. I went with Amsoil 10 wt shock Therapy in the rear shocks. Great improvement. Riding solo, I run about 5 psi. Don't really need any riding solo, but for dampening purposes I put 5 PSI in. Lot of misinformation about the Showa Shocks on touring bikes. They are better shocks than people give them credit.

I used SE fork oil in the forks. helped a lot with the front end dive when stopping.
How much oil did you fill them with?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I got a little more than 11oz each shock, same amount out of each. Replaced with 10wt Maxima (the factory oil is supposd to be 5wt), now I can run lower air pressure without bottoming, a much better ride, well worth it IMO, for a couple hours labor

Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
I'm aware of this

At this point,the shocks are not worn out.
I only did it thinking the fluid should be changed and may improve the ride quality like others said.

How long should these Showa shocks last anyway?
From appearance you would think the front forks are wearing out much more than the rear shocks, the rear shock oil comes out looking almost new while the front fork oil looks pretty contaminated, I would expect the rear shocks to go 100k easy

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gonna have to try that out befor i spend money on new shocks. thanks for the info.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I added a lowering kit to my stock shocks. I am looking for a softer ride, plus i loss about .5oz of oil outta the right shock during install and need to refill, wondering if 7.5wt or 10wt will give me a softer ride. Anyone using 7.5wt on a Road king?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaier
From appearance you would think the front forks are wearing out much more than the rear shocks, the rear shock oil comes out looking almost new while the front fork oil looks pretty contaminated, I would expect the rear shocks to go 100k easy
I changed the fork oil at 40000 miles,that oil was very black.I think the forks take more of a beating.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
how much oil did you fill them with?
11 oz in each shock. I don't believe it matter's, but I used Amsoil 10 wt Shock Therapy. I used SE 10 wt fork oil in the front forks.

Last edited by Ronp42; 05-27-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
gonna have to try that out befor i spend money on new shocks. thanks for the info.
If you do the job, please make a note of how much oil is required and do a follow-up on this thread or PM me. I also have some stock 12" SG shocks (not on the bike) and need to replace the oil since some has drained out. I'd like to sell them but can't until the oil is put back to the correct level.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep it's all true. I read and read and read......

I did the same just awhile back and have now run 450 miles since changing the fork oil and shock oil - - Yes it makes a hudge difference. I am using Amsoil Shock Therapy #10in my 13" OEM shocks, (it is ten weight, OEM shock oil is five weight).

I initially changed my fork oil to the same but have since went to DAWG's 50/50 mix using - - HD Type E Fork Oil (10 weight) & SE Heavy Fork Oil (15 weight) which means I am running a 12.5 weight oil in the forks and it is about as good as you can make the OEM forks feel. I like-um. The Amsoil #10 felt pretty good, just not quite as firm as I needed for high speed sweepers - still felt a bit soft. With the 50\50 mix it is really good - soft enough for me to feel my a cushy ride yet no diving, even when I lock the front up.

My FLHX with the newly installed Progressive touring link, and shock/fork oil changes feels great. I have speed tested the bike since and the changes are significant.

Also, as a note: I adjusted the sag on my OEM shocks as prescribed by texasbowhunter.
He wrote a post - "How TO Make Your Stock Shocks Better" - A very good read..

While the shocks are mounted on your bike, slowly bleed all of the air out of your shocks, disconnect the air hoses, screw a 1/8" fitting with a hose attached to each shock independently - make sure each of the hoses are in a separate drain pain/measuring cup, now sit on your bike and you will burp out a few ounces of fluid - he explains this is your sag adjustment. Re-attach all air lines and aid air back to your shocks.....next go take a smooth ride for the first time.

Oh, what a felling to have the bike feel just right for you,,,I mean me. lol

Good luck, and good reading.

Quick Reply: Changed shock oil today.Pics.