Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed shock oil today.Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have replaced the oil in 2 different sets of shocks. I also went with the 10wt Amsoil Shock Therapy and I have been very pleased with the results. The first set I changed was a lowered shock set that had been installed by a HD dealer for the original owner. When I drained them the right shock had 2 oz less oil than the left. After I changed to the 10wt I no longer bottomed out all the time

Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neat design!

Over time the shock internals wear out. Oil changes wont help. Shocks should be replaced.

I went with Progressive 416 shocks on my 08 Ultra SE3 What a smooth ride !! Major difference in handling, no bottoming out when I finally got the correct amount of air in them.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html

Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
it's your bike and you can do what you want but replacing air shock oil is not a recommended service and completely unnecessary.

my service manual says:
Never lay the shock down as this can cause a loss of oil thru the compression fitting if the air line is removed.
any loss of oil requires replacement of the shock absorber. Air shocks are not repairable. Replace the shocks if damaged, worn or any sign of leakage is observed.

Another HD Dealer BS brainwashed sucker.

Steve

Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
Neat design!

Over time the shock internals wear out. Oil changes wont help. Shocks should be replaced.
I'm aware of this

At this point,the shocks are not worn out.
I only did it thinking the fluid should be changed and may improve the ride quality like others said.

How long should these Showa shocks last anyway?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
it's your bike and you can do what you want but replacing air shock oil is not a recommended service and completely unnecessary.

my service manual says:
Never lay the shock down as this can cause a loss of oil thru the compression fitting if the air line is removed.
any loss of oil requires replacement of the shock absorber. Air shocks are not repairable. Replace the shocks if damaged, worn or any sign of leakage is observed.

Screamin eagle parts are only made for racing...........right?

Because that's what the book says.

Sorry, but if I did or didn't do everything I read or heard from the motor company I'd be on a fully stock or way way way over paid for bike only serviced by a dealer.

Truth is their full of sht. They are governed by Insurance companies, lawyers, and sales departments and looking out for "THEIR" best interests NOT YOURS.
As they should be I guess, its a business.

But as far as shocks (lets pull it back on topic) I've done this on new bikes and it works really well. A heavier wight oil just felt better to me.

But if you do have the cash I recommend upgrading to Progressives. I've been riding 440's on several bikes for a long time. I've used 412's and 418's. I like the 440's best but the others are still better then the stock air shocks IMHO.

Good post by the way, thanks

Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM
StreetKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lowered my 08 RK I bought a set of 12 inch shocks and used Bel Ray 10wt HVI racing suspension fluid and it works great. I don't even have to put that much air in them.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Made this simple press for changing the shock oil today.
I used part of a HighLift jack held in a vise and drilled a couple of 1/2" holes for bolts in a piece of wood.
I removed the air line fitting ,mounted it up side down and pumped the 50000 mile oil out.Measured the oil out of one shock and it was at 10oz.
After draining mounted the shock upright with a fitting,hose and funnel.Had my helper(wifey)hold the funnel and pour the new fluid while I pumped the shock to purge the air and let the oil drain in.Worked pretty good.
Will follow up with the ride results.
Let us know how much if any improvement in ride and handling. A friend and I plan to change ours next week. Thanks, good post!!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Well after riding the bike about 150 miles,I cant say say there was a huge noticable difference.I seems to be little smoother going over bumps.
I had 20 lbs of air in the shocks riding solo.Today I'm going to try 10lbs.
I'm sure the stiff *** springs in these shocks dont help much!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Arizaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride an 03 EGC...I bought a set of 06 SG shocks (chrome) off Fleabay. When I got them, the airline holes had plugs in them but there was a fair amount of oil in the box. When I put them on the bike, man !, they sucked ! Bottomed out over any little bump. I took them off and drained what oil was in them out....only about an oz in each. I read in a thread here that the oil from the factory is 5#....I purchased 7# and added 10 oz to each shock....what a difference ! I recommend playing with your shock oil wt and also amount until you can find your best ride. The stealer will always want you to buy new from them. Now, if anyone has a good place to buy replacement air lines, I'd like to know...thanks,

Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizaino
Now, if anyone has a good place to buy replacement air lines, I'd like to know...thanks,
I needed longer lines for my Dyna to relocate the filler and yep - you can get it from the dealer. Part number is 54354-94A - comes in a 25 foot roll for about $16 I think.

Quick Reply: Changed shock oil today.Pics.