Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track for 2009+...why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I put almost 8,000 on the 2010 loaded with camping equipment and all things that one needs on a long tour. Did the Dragon. Did the Cherohala Skyway. Road hard. Never a hint of wallow. Yes, it is still rubber mounted but don't you understand that the flex is engineered into one plain and not like a bowl of jello?

It tracks great. I see no need to waste $ on a bike that already tracks true.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where the swingarm connects to bike is rubber on both ends. The steel axle floats around and can torque inside the rubber and deflect in any number of twisting planes, not just up/down but sideways and twisty. Design is same pre/post 09, just stiffer parts post 09. It's why Bueuls have an extra mount and why the touring frames will never be completely rock solid. Having said that it matters little in the real world.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I put almost 8,000 on the 2010 loaded with camping equipment and all things that one needs on a long tour. Did the Dragon. Did the Cherohala Skyway. Road hard. Never a hint of wallow. Yes, it is still rubber mounted but don't you understand that the flex is engineered into one plain and not like a bowl of jello?

It tracks great. I see no need to waste $ on a bike that already tracks true.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
I saw the other day they now have a True-Track for 2009+ bagger.

What gives? I thought the new frame fixed these problems, but the True Track blurb I read said people are starting to complain now...

Please tell me it's just a gimmick!

~Joe
Yeah, it's just a gimmick. A couple of months ago I posted and asked a question about this as I thought I had all the symptons that they advertise. Thankfully due to the helpfulness of this forum I checked my tire pressure and air bag pressures and adjusted them as needed. That solved all of the issues and my RK tracks true and corners like an RK should. It's not a sport bike, but then I didn't want a sport bike.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 AM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 10' limited wallows.Here is why I think it does, Two up (heavy) me 300+ her 150ish+, side bags full of gear, trunk full of gear , jackets and chaps strapped to trunk rack, weight high and to far aft, leaning over to to the point just before (damn). . . scrape. speed 5 -10 mph over posted and the road dips abruptly. Wallow - Wallowing - wallowed.
All that weight moving straight up and down with the bike leaned over the shocks not moving straight up and down but more sideways and it is a recipe for wallowing.
No add on device can cure that situation.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 AM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZZZCICI
My 10' limited wallows.Here is why I think it does, Two up (heavy) me 300+ her 150ish+, side bags full of gear, trunk full of gear , jackets and chaps strapped to trunk rack, weight high and to far aft, leaning over to to the point just before (damn). . . scrape. speed 5 -10 mph over posted and the road dips abruptly. Wallow - Wallowing - wallowed.
All that weight moving straight up and down with the bike leaned over the shocks not moving straight up and down but more sideways and it is a recipe for wallowing.
yep...i think thats called motorcycling.....

Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If your tire pressure is low, shock pressure is low, or the stearing head is out of adjustment the touring bikes will wallow. I do agree with mile high king that you can make any bike wallow under the right circumstances. It is pretty hard to do on the post '09 touring bikes. I don't think you need this product but it is your money. Spend it how you like. That is different that the bagger wobble that many have experienced.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZZCICI
I dont want to be a smart $$$ but....
2010 FLHTK
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 1360 Lbs.
Vehicle Weight in Running Order is 901 Lbs.
That leaves 459 Lbs. for payload....
If you are 300 + wife 150....that means you can carry 9 Lbs. of stuff....Now how much stuff did you have that took you over the GVWR? Just food for thought when figuring out what went wrong.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Quote:That leaves 459 Lbs. for payload....
If you are 300 + wife 150....that means you can carry 9 Lbs. of stuff....quote]

Understood.. so add about another hundred to hundred n'a half lbs....

The new frame is an improvement, to be sure.
A stabilizer or other brace probably would add to improve ride in general, but there will always be circumstances. For myself, the shocks were at proper pressure for the weight 46PSI ,(any less and we'll bottom out) tire press. max recommended. My point is if the shocks are supporting the sprung weight and the bike is leaned way over they are not working together but at slightly different rates and the shocks will only compress and rebound straight up and down when the bike is upright, lean it way over and they rebound sideways.

I think even with a hardtail it would react leaned way over and encountering a big dip in the road. Probably more from the front end (sprung/unsprung loads) than induced from the rear (suspension)

To borrow a great phrase,"Thats motorcycling"

Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the new frame eliminated the need. But if you build it they will come.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is no doubt that the majority of touring owners are happy with the handling of their bike, no matter what model year it is. For reasons that are not clear there is a small proportion of owners who are NOT happy. I was one and fitted a True-Track kit to my Glide and also my Dyna. My Buell doesn't need one, because it has three handling stabilizers, just as recent Sportsters do. If Harley had fitted all their rubber-mount bikes with three stabilizers, we would not be discussing this subject so often, and True-Track would probably not exist in the form we know them.

The rubber-mount system of the 09 and later bikes is an improvement over the previous bikes, but still fails to address the problem 'mile high king' pointed out, which is the rubber mountings are unsupported. It is an engineering folly, just as the previous bikes were! The only certain thing about the latest bikes is that fewer owners than previously will find their bikes' handing could be better.

The few of us who own both a Buell and a touring Harley can be smug in the knowledge that we know the way ahead, as far as the Harley is concerned! Three stabilizers good, less than three bad!

Last edited by grbrown; 08-30-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Expanded.

Quick Reply: True-Track for 2009+...why?