Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track for 2009+...why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:32 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler

You're only going to get so much handling out of a 900 pound bagger anyway.

~Joe
Tell that to the XL1200R rider I went around the outside of at 105 mph on a 65 sweeping left hand corner.

He was still shaking his head in disbelief when we pulled into the pub 20 miles later..

Personally I havent found the need for a true track on the new frame.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:15 AM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Northside
If they build it and offer it, people will buy it. Kind of like one old lady telling the local sewing circle about her latest malady. Pretty soon all her friends have the same thing. We all know the old adage "A fool and his money...."
+1 on that. I knew of several guys wanting to fit these to pre 09 bikes, I ride pretty hard mostly, (I always had well set up sports bikes and still run big 1400 naked), ok they dont compare to the way a harley handles but I never felt any need for one on my 05 RK custom, weight was so low down I felt you just had to push it into bends to keep a good line. I since brought a 2010 SG and gotta say the frame / handling improvement feels so much more "planted" but even less need for any "stability" to be added.
Just my opinion but I think these were the one of the great myths!!
Cheers
R

Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not needed on a 09 and up touring frame.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I find it semi entertaining that spending 20 thousand plus to get a new frame to handle better is considered smart and spending 300 for a True -Track is considered folly.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I find it semi entertaining that spending 20 thousand plus to get a new frame to handle better is considered smart and spending 300 for a True -Track is considered folly.
I would consider it a folly only if some part of that 20K was already spent on making the bike handle better...

Kinda like an NBA player wearing platform shoes.

lp

Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

No need for it. Bike rides on rails through the corners.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything on the 09 frame and swing-arm is stiffer, but H-D didn't change the base design which inherently has an ability to wallow. It's still a rubber mounted, un-braced design. Handling is all relative though, as some claim to never experience a wallow with pre-09's because they probably don't get their bikes into that situation (I could make my 08 wallow but eliminated most of it with a progressive stabilizer link). Even less will experience wallow with 09's because the threashold is higher, but there is nothing in the design change to suggest it can't and won't happen. But motorcycle racers can make even the latest racer-replica's waggle in the right situation as they have not invented the perfect handling bike. But don't confuse a sledgehammer for a scapel, a Road King isn't designed to ride fast even if you can. It's laughable to hear the stories about how you passed the GSXYZX-whatever in a corner. That proves that you were a faster rider and little about the bike.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

mile high king + 1 on the very last sentence. Don't know about the rest.
Kroozeabout.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM
svoracer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 Ultra handles fine. My suggestion is for you to chk your tire pressure first before thinking you may need something like this. The chassis data plate calls for 40 rear and 36 front.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by svoracer
My 2010 Ultra handles fine. My suggestion is for you to chk your tire pressure first before thinking you may need something like this. The chassis data plate calls for 40 rear and 36 front.
Good pt. check mine yesterday and was 10 low in front and 13 low on the rear. Bike handles much better. Tar snakes not as bad as before.
Good nite.
Kroozeabout.

Quick Reply: True-Track for 2009+...why?