Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long haul advice for a sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
bhm07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i third the windshield. wife has an 07 sporty and the windshield is a life saver

Old 08-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I did a lot of touring with my XR1200R

Although I did put the 4 gallon tank on it for distance. make sure you have a backrest (that's so important for distance riding) Better grips and a good windshield. Here's a pic of the setup I would run. I can only speak for myself but I found the XR1200R loved 65mph but anything above that brought the lightness of the bike into the picture as far as smoothness of ride.

Attached Thumbnails long haul advice for a sportster-sporty-003.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Robert_W
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much the same as everyone else is saying. Windshield, rain gear, forward pegs, good riding gloves, sunblock, earplugs, at least a 3/4 helmet with a face shield will help, and cramp buster on the throttle.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Underarmor Underwear, just pack your crap and ride man, get these underwear and you wont even notice buttburn. I just rode 9k miles with a guy that did it on a 883 sporty, more than a few others on 1200 C or Roadsters, 800 miles is not that bad. BTW you need to ride that bike more, 20k in 4 years is not that much usage.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 AM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a picture of my Night Rod I put 4500 miles on last year with no windshield and loaded down with gear.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Robert_W
Tourer

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Underarmor Underwear, just pack your crap and ride man, get these underwear and you wont even notice buttburn. I just rode 9k miles with a guy that did it on a 883 sporty, more than a few others on 1200 C or Roadsters, 800 miles is not that bad. BTW you need to ride that bike more, 20k in 4 years is not that much usage.
The Under Armor is great. I prefer the compression long arm and leg type. Your legs and arms will "glide" easier against your outerwear with them on.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM
chopperblueflhti
Cruiser

For my Sportster touring when I had my 2001 1200C... I had an engine guard and highway pegs on that I could stretch out on the highway..also had the touring leather seat that had a wide seat area, a detachable sport windshield....and the premium leather bags...I called it my "little tourer", and I could keep up with the big boys!..

Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robert_W
The Under Armor is great. I prefer the compression long arm and leg type. Your legs and arms will "glide" easier against your outerwear with them on.

Ride safe,

Bob.
+1 Under Armour, a cramp buster for the throttle, earplugs and a backrest.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good advice...... my wife did almost 14,000 on her nightster in a year and a half by doing the basic stuff everyone else said on here...... use a windshield if you can, wear a full face lid, listen to some music if you can. It helps keep me from spacing out on long highway stretches.

I'll add..... get some sort of seat add-on..... I use sheepskin, a buddy uses a beaded seat cover. The important part is that you can ride with it for a few gas stops then take it off and it's just enough of a change to keep the butt from aching....

and

as unpopular as it may be, wear all the gear you can given the heat you're riding in. A full jacket will keep the wind from beating up on you ( which will wear you out quicker) and it'll keep your sweat from evaporating too quickly so it'll keep you cooler when it's super hot.... chaps, helmet, gloves......

hydrate like crazy..... better to have to pee a lot than to dehydrate on the bike.......

Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open road... windshield and breaks about every 75 - 125 miles whether you think you need it or not. I've gone further but not comfortably.

Quick Reply: long haul advice for a sportster