Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???

My wife just starting wheeling her own ride. I spend a lot of time in the mirror now and thought being able to talk to her would be a real plus until she gets a little more experience.

I also do a lot of day rides and short trips with the same 3 or 4 buds. Anyone found a good way to communicate bike to bike. I have heard stories of small helmet mounted units that work on blue tooth. I have used underwater comms, VOX operated boom mics at job sites and stuff like that. I don't hear real well with background noise and wouldn't be big on yelling while cruising down the road.

Any suggestions or leads on units to check out. price wouldn't be a big deal if they worked well and I didn't have to wear a box. Hoping technology has advanced here as in other places. Thanks in advance. EW

Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

lots of bike to bike communication.

get over, speed up, slow down, exit here.

it all gets done with the left hand.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the scala 4.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I was just talking about this same subject at work today. I cannot believe that H-D is not working on this idea, I believe they are and we may see it someday soon. The problem may be that this would require radio transmissions which require a frequency which would require FCC licensing. I think H-D could create a short range transmitter/receiver and put them all on the same frequency, so any bike within the range could transmit or receive, such as if you are riding with a group. But that is a simple solution that probably has many inherent problems I am not privy too.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

.... bike to bike comm ............ isn't that called CB ?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CB channel 1

Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to know, I used to have a couple bookmarked but lost them when I replaced my laptop, there where some that where resonable priced too.
Terry

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cardio Scala G4 Power Set. I have a pair of them and they work great. In fact wife tells me to quit yelling all the time, so I have to remember to talk normally. Will work for up to 1.6 miles on Bluetooth, even has a flip up antenna if needed. I have it connected to my GPS and my cell phone & to the wife's headset.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
.... bike to bike comm ............ isn't that called CB ?
Yeah, and it's been around for a long time!! In fact the MOCO has already "worked on" this............

Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend the BlueAnt Interphone F4. Web Bike World did a comparison of it and the Cardo offerings, and it proved vastly superior in all areas. Google "interphone F4 review" and read the reviews.

Mine is integrated with my Blackberry and my Nuvi 765t GPS (with MP3) for phone, music and GPS commands. Bike to Bike coms over bluetooth are exceptional using 3/4 or full face helmets at highway speeds at ranges up to about 1/3 mile. I've got better range than that, but it starts to degrade to the point that I'd rather establish cell reception instead. The digital noise filtering is so good my wife often has to ask if I'm calling from the bike or a land line.

I have friends that were happy with their Cardo stuff, but after seeing and trying my BlueAnt Interphone F4 are now making the switch. Anyway, read the reviews...

-Dusty

Quick Reply: Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???