Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
And if you only want to talk to one or two other people, and keep the conversation private, then it is not. IMO
With the right equipment NO conversation is private!

With a CB you have a hand full of channels you can pick for a group (small or large) that is pretty much un-used and not have all of the background chatter on more popular channels. Not knocking the BT sets, just prefer the CB for the purpose. I enjoy riding solo or two up just as much as I do with 30-40 riders on a day or two trip and the group I ride with most have a CB that came stock or actually have added one for communicating with the group. Can always hit the off button if I don't want to yap with the bunch. When alone or with the wife I tend to stay on 19 and listen/talk with the truckers if on the slab just like I do in my pickup traveling for business or pleasure, keeps me out of tickets and helps avoid traffic problems at times.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

just food for thought...

there's gotta be (conservatively) a dozen threads a week popping up in here about distracted drivers or riders being cut off by a guy/girl/grandma/soccer mom on a cell phone.

now we, the very group that bitches the most about distracted driving, are looking for ways to distract OURSELVES on the road?

whats the difference between a driver on his or her phone and a rider talking to his buddy or wife on a cb?

why not just tape your cell phone to your head?

talk when you pull over.

or stay home and chat over tea.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

That was the main reason for wife to leave her dlx and get an Ultra.We tried some other chatter box and CBs but was unsatisfied until she moved to Ultra. We used to communicate by turning her spot lights off that means need to stop. One time we almost side swap each other cause she wasn't paying attention to hand or right turn signal,good thing I always keep my mirror on her to watch out for her.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Can't tell ya how many riders I have seen that will bitch about a distracted dirver (probably with good reason) and then take a hand off the bars, their eyes off the road and look over their shoulder to yell something back to their wife, GF or passenger.
Which one is worse, if either?!
At least if I use the CB or the intercom I can still keep eyes on the road and both hands on the bars. In my earlier years I would have fully agreed to sit down, shut up, hang on and twist the throttle however as I age I have found I like having the connectivity to others around me when I choose to do so.
Besides when I tried to tape the cell phone to my head the duct tape just kept tearing my hair out out

Old 08-29-2010, 03:55 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StonerGlide
Besides when I tried to tape the cell phone to my head the duct tape just kept tearing my hair out out
thought all you old guys on geezer glides lost all your hair by now

Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Losing it quicker than I prefer so I try and avoid anything that will take any premature!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
ptcs
Advanced

...concerning the CB that is standard on the Ultra Classic, I have a 09 Ultra and do I have to purchase a "cb module" or something like that or does it work as it comes from the factory??? I have it turned on but i dont hear anything from any of the channels???..OOPS hope I did not hijack your thread..sorry!!!

Originally Posted by harley_badboy
Yup CB works great, I use it all the time!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Are you using the headset that came with the scoot? If not you will need the external mic.
Check the squelch level and volume by using your radio controls.
You shouldn't have to buy anything for this to work on an Ultra.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
And if you only want to talk to one or two other people, and keep the conversation private, then it is not. IMO
Like I said before, there is hardly anybody on CB anymore. Easy to find a channel nobody is using. We just rode 4000 miles (AR to CO,WY,UT,MT) and ran ch. 19 all the way. We don't talk non stop, but every 15-20 minutes somebody usually starts a convo, if even for only a few minutes. In all that distance, we only had truckers join in the convo a couple of times! They are all on the cell phone these days or listening to the XM radio. With most of the trucks governed at or close to the speed limit, many don't even turn the CB on anymore. (Big mistake in my opinion safety wise.)

Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM
ptcs
Advanced

Ston er...thanks..I sorta supected it may have something to do with the headset..It did not come with my Ultra as i bought it slightly used and the owner did not include that. I will take care of that and really i will need two for the wife and myself. Been thinking of going bluethooth but still doing research..
Thanks

Originally Posted by StonerGlide
Are you using the headset that came with the scoot? If not you will need the external mic.
Check the squelch level and volume by using your radio controls.
You shouldn't have to buy anything for this to work on an Ultra.

Quick Reply: Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???