Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 AM
OZEGS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
.... bike to bike comm ............ isn't that called CB ?
CB is a dinosaur compared to the Scala system!

Eric...Roger beeps, takes me back!

Anyway the Scala earphones are mounted in your helmet with Velcro, no wire dangling to get caught.
The main unit is small and mounted in or on the side of your helmet...climb on any bike and talk private with no interuptions. Wife and I swear it improves safety as well, as you can quickly describe road conditions etc.
A Godsend and well worth the $$$
Bluetooth is the bonus!

Last edited by OZEGS; 08-28-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the BluAnt but use it only for the cell phone as a bluetooth so far. It's served me well in that capacity. I know I can get a buddy to get one and we can talk to one another though. Just haven't done that yet and rarely ride with anyone else.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Reason number 1 for riding. Dont have to talk with wife. WTF is wrong with you dudes.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Riding is My way to relax. Don't think I could do that while yapping with someone else all the time. Not going to waste the money.

Last edited by Dionicio; 08-29-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:16 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a scala, and bought a chatterbox xbi2 as the dead battery in the scala could not be replaced as opposed the the chatterbox. Preferred tha scala as the chatterbox has no base in the helmet speakers, very tinnie, and I dislike the delayed voice feedback of your own words in the helmet speakers. Now I ride without one and enjoy the ride more. Goodluck

Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EricW
I'm just havin a little forum laugh and poking some fun. Truth is I own more than a dozen CB's. I have never started a convoy or anything but they are a big part of all that work that we do with pickups, Big Rigs, heavy equip., tug boats, small boats, and even hand helds.

20 years ago I even picked up a tweeked CB from a truck stop in Missoula that had the loud "Roger" beep and echo box in the mic. I hated hearing the guys that had them so bad I decided to join them. My employees quicky placed it under a D-7 track.

My thing from my original post is that I wanted a low impact way to share all my 1 years of road wisdom with my wife who is greener than me. As we are riding together I see a lot of things I would point out if I had a direct line to her ear without having her pull her attention from the road to operate a CB or like style communication. Thats all.

The rest is just jesting. I don't mean to pee on anyones Cheerio's or yell Tang at a Kool-Aid party. Thats not my style. I really do appreciate all of the help that folks on this site share freely with the rest of us, especially us newbies. I'm cool with whoever you are or whatever you have. "Run what ya brung" is my motto. That includes CB's. 10-4. EW
As far as I'm concerned, I'm just shooting the bull and having a good time here. The added bonus is all the good info you can learn on this site. I am not familiar with anything but the CB as far as communication btw bikes. Sounds like the others here have some good ideas other than the good ol' CB........"good buddy" (couldn't resist)

Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Reason number 1 for riding. Dont have to talk with wife. WTF is wrong with you dudes.
If you don't enjoy your wifes company, maybe you have the wrong wife.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

27mhz CB radio is approved by the FCC for mobile operation ,,,,,

462 mhz FRS radio is not approved for mobile operation, only for hand held portables ,,,,

462 mhz GMRS is approved for mobile operation but only with a license ,,,,

27mhz CB radio is on about every Honda Gold Wing ever made ,,,,

27mhz CB radio is on every Harley Ultra ever built and many Harley owners are now adding the HK CB modules to their audio system ,,,, ,,,,,

27mhz CB radio is offered on many other brands of touring bikes sold throughout the USA and North America ,,,,,

27mhz CB radio is on tens of thousands of cruiser style bikes, thanks to the J&M JMCB-2003 radio ,,,

27mhz CB radio will transmit and receive at distances of 1/2 - 5 miles depending upon atmospheric conditions and the length and tuning of the antenna ,,,,,

when group riding ,, no matter how large or small the group, when using CB radio, ALL members of the group can TALK and HEAR the conversations on the specific channel that is chosen ,,,

using Bluetooth to communicate bike-to-bike limits the group size to 2-4 users only, and a maximum distance to around 1/2 mile, depending upon the brand that is used ,,,,

it is very obvious to me why 27 mhz 40ch CB radio is the radio of choice for real useable bike to bike communications ,,,,

Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
27mhz CB radio is approved by the FCC for mobile operation ,,,,,

462 mhz FRS radio is not approved for mobile operation, only for hand held portables ,,,,

462 mhz GMRS is approved for mobile operation but only with a license ,,,,

27mhz CB radio is on about every Honda Gold Wing ever made ,,,,

27mhz CB radio is on every Harley Ultra ever built and many Harley owners are now adding the HK CB modules to their audio system ,,,, ,,,,,

27mhz CB radio is offered on many other brands of touring bikes sold throughout the USA and North America ,,,,,

27mhz CB radio is on tens of thousands of cruiser style bikes, thanks to the J&M JMCB-2003 radio ,,,

27mhz CB radio will transmit and receive at distances of 1/2 - 5 miles depending upon atmospheric conditions and the length and tuning of the antenna ,,,,,

when group riding ,, no matter how large or small the group, when using CB radio, ALL members of the group can TALK and HEAR the conversations on the specific channel that is chosen ,,,

using Bluetooth to communicate bike-to-bike limits the group size to 2-4 users only, and a maximum distance to around 1/2 mile, depending upon the brand that is used ,,,,

it is very obvious to me why 27 mhz 40ch CB radio is the radio of choice for real useable bike to bike communications ,,,,
And if you only want to talk to one or two other people, and keep the conversation private, then it is not. IMO

Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Chatterbox Xbi2

Quick Reply: Bike to Bike Communication...Anyone doing it???