Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:41 PM
geraldtf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

please keep us informed!!! thanks

Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to this forum and a new HD owner. Been riding 25 years, all on metrics until now. I've always dreamt of owning a Harley and when I saw the 2007 Road King Custom in that blue suede pearl it was all over for me. I test rode an 06--loved it and couldn't get to my credit union fast enough to get a loan. I now have about 800 miles on it. I too have the chatter in the transmission, most noticeably in 5th and 6th, when first accelerating after the shift and then worse when coasting. I am also experiencing some very serious surging issues. Here are the steps I've taken:

-Removed the windshield (Boy does this work swell, especially with a half-helmet. Too bad about the fusion and plate in my neck or I'd just go topless all the time. I don't think so!)
-Installed a pair of VH slip ons. Now this really did make a difference--but again for the wrong reason. It's a band-aid. You won't worry about what you can't hear, right? Wrong!
-Got the Stage One download and installed the Screamin Eagle air cleaner kit. This improved the sound and throttle response. No luck on the surging issue or the chatter.
-Complained to three local dealers. Same answer from all of the service department managers....think of the three monkeys and focus on the one with the hands over his ears and you'll now what I'm hearing. NOTHING. They say they know NOTHING. Here's the best response of all "You are one of the few in the area riding an 07 Custom...heck you probably know more than we do at this point. You are a pioneer!" Dang.

I'm with the rest of you guys who are unhappy having dropped over 20 grand on a bike and having to put up with this problem. I love Harley's, all my life wanted one. My 94 year old grandfather still tells me stories about how he worked for the HD factory back in the 40's then for Indian for awhile--how he was one of the first guys to truly chop his ride. This is like buying a piece of history and it should be one of the best experiences a first time HD owner should have. I am very disappointed and a little afraid that I might have to live with this issue and always feel that nagging sensation that I should've been more careful, done more test riding. Shouldn't be this way. I am also hopeful that there will be a recall once HD figures out the problem and that's what I intend to do--hang in, keep reading the forums and hope we get a break on this one.

You are all a great bunch of guys in here. A lot of knowledge in here, a lot of years of experience. I'll keep reading and will post an update here if I have any luck with my Road King.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, we all will wait,,,,and wait,,,,,,,,,,,,and wait,,,,,,,

Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

I guess I'm one of the few in this thread who is perfectly content with my '07 SG. I can comment that 5th gear produces a little more noise than the others but as stated before is due to the fabrication of the gear itself. Everything else is smooth and as quiet as a Harley is expected to be. On the 96 engine I can say that anything below 2200 and maybe even 2400 RPM in 4th gear and higher would be lugging it in my book.......forget the manual and use your ears, it's clear that the 'can of rocks' or whatever description you want to use appears below these RPM levels.
No regrets on buying a first-release year bike here, and with 3000 miles into this engine it is only getting better.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Nice... welcome to the forum.

lp

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

Guys,, I'm with ya!!! but first,,,,,, those that are happy with their bikes good for you,, go read diff. forums, lets us unlucky ones figure this out, besides, you have no buisness here anyways, cause your full of schit!! we are legit and have a legit prob.!!
for those of you just coming in,, there a 3 apparent noises that are bothering us, 1st,,-5th gear wine,// 2nd,-the hard knockin or clankin in 5th and 6th, and// 3rd -the spark nock or tinny, tink tink,when rollin on the throttle,,,it seems the ultra classics have the most complaints,
and it is not enjoyable at alll. my last rally was was fun, but the whole weekend my mind would be on all the noise issues, and wondering if making it home would be a reality! SO,,,,,, those of us with issues, stay in touch and lets get through this together,
lets ignore those of no help, and lets share what we learn, and find out,, through our dealers!
I love the bike and feel it will be worked out in time, my peace of mind for now is the 2 year warranty!
07 black flhtcu later

Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what he said have over 1400 miles NO PROBLEMS
ORIGINAL: dionne51

I guess I'm one of the few in this thread who is perfectly content with my '07 SG. I can comment that 5th gear produces a little more noise than the others but as stated before is due to the fabrication of the gear itself. Everything else is smooth and as quiet as a Harley is expected to be. On the 96 engine I can say that anything below 2200 and maybe even 2400 RPM in 4th gear and higher would be lugging it in my book.......forget the manual and use your ears, it's clear that the 'can of rocks' or whatever description you want to use appears below these RPM levels.
No regrets on buying a first-release year bike here, and with 3000 miles into this engine it is only getting better.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

like I said , and I see that it was reposted,, you guys, and even the mech. at my dealer , who have a 07 street glides,have no major complaints, cant you see it appears the ultras are the prob. and by the way, the fore mentioned mech. took my bike for a ride, he then brought it right in and put it on the hoist and took the prm'y apart, "there is deff. a problem" but what? no one seems to know.
by the way , he let me take his SG, with 06 S.E. "race" slip ons and the race tuner down load, for a ride, it was awsome, I want that!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 AM
dionne51
Road Captain

electraRICK,
I would agree that there seems to be more Ultras with posted complaints. I can completely understand your frustration and would myself be ready to blow a gasket after dumping 20K to have simply purchased a headache.
I've got an 07 SG with SE race tuner, V&H slip ons, and SE air intake and absolutely love it.........I wish you were as happy as I am. Best of luck with the bullsh!t you're dealing with, I'll be keeping up with this thread to see if any progress is made.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:05 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been frequenting another forum as well--the Road King.org/Delphi forum. I have posted my concerns about my 07 Road King Custom's tranny chatter and the terrible surging issue I'm having. Thought I'd share some of the feedback I'm getting with you all here.

I keep hearing that there is not supposed to be a stage one download for the 07's yet. However, when I went to my local dealer to tell them about my surge issue that is exactly what they suggested I needed and that's what I let them do. When I heard from the other forum that no such download exists, I challenged the shop and they stood their ground. I also put the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner kit on, and a set of VH slips. Still terrible surging issue--although the new pipes help drown out the chatter in 5th and 6th. And for those of you who are lugger-suspicious--I'm innocent at least on that count.

While talking to the parts counter today I overheard that the manager of the store had ridden a different 07 model and had experienced the same chatter. I also heard a murmer from the guys there that a recall could be on the way. Now, all of this is pretty much hallway conversation, but those of you who are cynical of our problem here should be starting to wonder at all these threads from different riders on different newer models saying the same thing with different words. Looks like Harley has a problem, they just havn't figured out how to address it yet and obviously neither have we.

The only thing I have NOT done yet is go with a race tuner, power commander or a fuel pak. I was told that all I should need is the stage one download because the new ECU's are more sophisticated than ever and have a lot of valuable information that would be wiped by a race tuner download. The service dept manager felt it wasn't worth the money to put on a race tuner when the download and better air cleaner and pipes would do the trick. They were wrong, and now I'm hearing that download doesn't exist.

My RKCustom chatters and surges and I'd sure like to know why. So it's not just the SG's, it's the RK's, too.

Anyone knows anything about these stage one downloads I'd sure be grateful for some advice. By the way, the part number on the invoice for the download is 34455-07A/DT 1584 ST 1 TOURING DI for anyone out there well-versed in the HD parts numbers. If someone can confirm on the existence of the download I'd sure appreciate it!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can tell you this, any download for the 07 by harley has been deemed EPA friendly, they will not tune the bike much better than stock, and this goes for the race tuner downloads too, unless you get a custom map set on a dyno, Vance and hines fuel pak has a 07 model for their pipes and free breathing air cleaner that does not require the 02 sensors to be removed or disabled, the PCIII will work too but it requires removal of 02 sensors.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?