Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

I own an 07 Ultra Classic. I have experienced the whine in 5th gear, but not overly loud. So far I have not had many issue with it other than the heat generated at a stop from the rear cylinder. I have swapped to true duals (V&H head pipes and oval mufflers). That has relieved some of the heat, but not a lot sitting in traffic. I have noticed that this engine does require to be above 2000 rpm for optimum running. No big deal since I keep it above 2K between gear shifts. So far so good and I am happy with it. Sometime once it sits at idle for a bit the vibration of the engine increases, but smooths out with just a blip of the throttle. So different from my 97 Dyna Wide Glide!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texas, forgive me if you've already heard of the parade download, but it's supposed to address the problem you are having with the excessive heat at idle off that rear cylinder.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:11 AM
livewire32
Novice

TJRKC, Do you know if this "parade" download is compatible with users that have a power commander installed??...........I was thinking of getting the download but Hoping the pcIII doesn't add more fuel to the 0 settings of the parade download when it is enabled......Any input from anyone would be appreciated!!!

Thank you, LIVEWIRE

Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the "parade download" and the PC-III are totally compatible with each other. I don't know, but would be surprised if the "parade" system would even kick in very much, if at all, with the PC-III in use, though.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM
livewire32
Novice

I was just wondering if I should put the pcIII settings at 0 for 1500rpm and below(basically idle range) for 0 to 2% throttle so the pcIII isn't trying to add fuel during the rear cylinder fuelshutdown??

Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 AM
livewire32
Novice

Just got my kit from Zanotti on saturday and will install it today, I'll let you know how it works!!!! I hope my electraglide(electra clatter changes to a true electraglide later today). I guess it is worth the $200 even though I have a year warranty left on the bike yet. My luck the tranny would go out after the warranty and I would be stuck with the bill. I have heard of 3 07's touring having 5th gear go out, luckily during warranty. Once again I don't want to be stuck along side the road with that issueif this ids kit can resolve the problem. I agree with most of you guys, that HD should recall these 07's, but they have had a year to do it and they are selling the kit for the 07's. To me, they are admitting there is an issue but not living up to a recall, just offering a remedy at our expense! I am thankful for the remedy, but the hd should come out and let people know they need to get this ids, especially if transmissions are going to fail and someone may get hurt in the process. I ride my daughter on my bike occasionally and I would be in uproar if the tranny locked while riding her!!! So if you have a clattering bike this may be the fix.........I'll let you all know the results.......I am in PA right now without my scooter, so when I get home the kit will be on in an hour or so, the directions prove it is an easy install if you have just a bit of mechanical ability, if not I'm sure a fellow biker friend would be more than willing to put it on for you! I am sidestepping my local dealer on this issue and they tell me there is no issue with this machine. No issue after this fix hopefully!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy the warranty, get some good ear plugs. Works for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36447/1BD9281B242546EBBD80B2E51C32D3D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs--Gone Baby, Gone

Been contributing and following this thread since it started, well over a year ago. I hesitated to install the IDS--wanting to hold out until HD stepped up and made it right. When the part was offered I felt (and still do) that HD was acknowledging the problem and benefitting from the fix rather than offering it at their cost.

My feelings on this have not changed. What has changed is that I did buy the IDS and after installing it, the bike isn't quieter--the noise is completely gone. Not a little bit all--it is absolutely gone. I installed the kitSaturday 9/1 and put about 300 miles on the bike by the end of day 9/3. No noise whatsoever...nothing.

I normally don't ride with a windshield on and despite having aftermarket pipes on and wearing a half-helmet have had to endure rocks in a can every time I'm in 5th. With the IDS in place--and a windshield on the bike--I hear nothing but the engine and the exhaust--just the way the motorcycle Gods intended things to be. I'll have to get used to the lack of noise now. I'm finding myself in 6th without realizingI've gone through5th....and I'm hearing other little more normal noises now (like back brake drag, belt noise, luggage rack vibrations, even stuff in my bags!)....pretty remarkable how that kit takes care of the clatter. I also think the transmission shifts better, and the drivetrain feels smoother overall--the kit "softens" things up.

If you are one of the many disgruntled '07 owners out there waiting tosee if this kit works--it really does. Bandage or not, I'mglad Ispent the money and the time to do it--I'm falling in love with my ride all over again and am overjoyed that I canuseall my gears and not dread #5.

Installation is very easy--I did it myself, but if you are patient enough to wait for a buddy a couple of extra hands will be very nice to have for manipulating the rear tire back into place with regard to the brakes and keeping things straight as you reinstall the axle and spacers.

The IDS WORKS--get one, put it on--and take back your ride

Old 09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Left the small new spacer off axel at first just to tightenup and tighten up IDS cuisions then reinstalled with spacer. This really made it easy to get everything on rear wheel axel when reinstalling wheel.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

You can add me to the list of happy campers with
the IDS on my 07 Ultra.

I've had (2) 2007Ultras in less then a year, the first
one I had for 9 1/2 months and put 30,000 miles on
it. The first one had no (or little) clatter but it did
whine in 5th and 1st gear. The bike ran pretty much
flawlessly until it had a crank problem at 30,000 miles
and started vibrating badly. IMO this IDS would have
made my great Ultra into an unbelievable Ultra now
I have it on my second Ultra. I had to trade my broken
07 Ultra in on a new 07 Ultra due to Harley Davidson
taking over a month to put a new engine in the old one.
I was not going to put up with their warranty BS. I got
the new one at almost even trade, my dealer did well for
me/us. The bad news was the new 07 Ultrahas a clatter
in 4th,5th,6th so bad you could not stand it, the whine
was evil in 5th and 1st and it vibrated almost as bad as
the old one with the crank problem. This tells me Harleys
quality control pretty much sucks. My first one was one of
the first off the assembly line and my second was one of the
last off the assembly line. The fit and finish of the first one
was pretty darn good, the second one has had almost every
body part replaced due to totaly junk fitting parts.

To make a long story a little shorter IMO both bikes would
have been fantastic bikes had I put the IDS on both of them
so anyone who has a good one still needs to have this unit
on their bike.

I have bad health and Diabetes so I can not tolerate
vibration at all in the floor boards or handle bars.
the IDS has taken almost all of that away as well as
no gear whine or clatter anymore at all. The second
junk Ultra is now way better then my great Ultra and
is about as smooth as my Goldwing. I never thought
I would ever say my Harley was almost as smooth as
my Goldwing but it is!

I have always loved my Harley more then my Wing but
now my Wing will probably sit in the garage a lot more
then it already was thanks to the IDS..

BTW: I just went to the dealer and paid full MSRP for
the IDS, when I feel I need something I want it now
and mail order does nothing for my local economy at all.
I don't care what it costs ifsomething works. I put it in,in
1 hour, if you can change your own tires you canput the
IDS in!

Don't sit there reading this if you have an 07 Ultra or
other touring model, push the computer away and run
down to your local dealer and get one!

You will not be sorry!!

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?