Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

ok...so the compensator that everyone is talking about is on the rear wheel or on the crankshaft?

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture of the part from the catalog. I havea PDF of the installation instructions I can email if you provide me with an address--for some reason I'm not seeing an option to attach files other than JPEGs on these replies.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they're talking about the "compensator" they are referring to the one on the output of the crankshaft. If they're talking about the IDS it's the one on the rear wheel.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
rlb5857
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glens has it right. The crankshaft compensator is a two piece unit that has a spring between the two pieces. It takes part of the torque from crank and cushions it with the spring before applying the torque to the outer drive sprocket which is connectred by the primary chain to the transmission input shaft'

The ids system uses a rubber isolator between the rear rim and the drive belt pulley. It will also absorb some shock and maybe lessen the shock to the crankshaft compensator.

My 2 cents worth

Roger

Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: glens

ORIGINAL: lp

The IDS was put on because everyone was bitching.
If you say so. That sounds pretty authoritative. I was merely speculating.

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

So in essence you are saying that MOCO doesnt care what it's customers are saying?
I'm not implying that at all.

Isn't it a bit strange that the IDS as a retrofit is so quickly available? It's obviously (to me) not something that was searched-out as a way to "fix" a bad design. It has all the earmarks of being the rest of the original which was finally "allowed" to be incorporated. This is a tricky thing to do and I'm sure it wasn't made available until the new model year because it could be construed by some few malcontents as being an admission that there was a problem all along. H-D reserves the right to make changes at any time without incurring obligation. If they were to have tried to get the couple of complainers to shut up by providing them with the IDS earlier-on it might have been "construeable" as incurring obligation. Don't forget that in a company the size of H-D the engineers aren't the ones in contact with the customers. The financial department is solidly in the middle.

Also, in answer to a question about what the IDS is/does you provided a link to a page which for you contains a particular post. It would be better to provide a link to the specific post because, as you may or may not be aware, the number of posts shown per page is configurable. We don't all necessarily have our accounts set up the same as you, so that "page" link is just hit-or-miss.

This site software is really pretty "sucky". The way to obtain the direct link to a post is to click on the "Post #xxx" link at the end of the post. A window should pop up with the information you can cut-and-paste into your reply.
Glens,

Here is a snippet of an email that was sent to me from a VP at MOCO:

"Because of the many other benefits the isolated drive system brings to
the driveline of the bike, and because the "clatter" does not cause any
reliability or durability concerns in the current state, we are not
providing it at reduced or no cost. We are constantly improving our
products, and we do not offer upgrades retroactively when we introduce
new features on subsequent model year bikes.

One thing I would suggest is that you consider adding the isolated drive
at the time of a rear tire change to reduce the overall cost of labor."

It's funny how you and he say the same things....Not accusing you of anything...Just funny...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice catch,soon to be back under new name.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Let see, HD can put 600 new parts into a motor, new tranny and 500 otherimprovments but the bean counters said no to a cush drive. I don't think so. But I'm no Authority.
I'm with you though that they waited until the next year to intoduce it, in the hopes the general public would think it was just an "Improvement".
But the truth probably is that they probably didn't think they needed it in 07, until all the complaints came out later.

One other thing.... A few guys around here have always maintained it was just a few guys.. maybe 5 total with clatter problems... no way was it wide spread.
According to many we need to buy hondas and all that other crap we've heard for the last year from people that DIDN'T have the problem.
Look at all the IDS posts now, over 4 different threads... 20-30 guys havealready installed it and posted back here somewhere. The list will grow...maybe

lp

ORIGINAL: glens

ORIGINAL: lp

The IDS was put on because everyone was bitching.
If you say so. That sounds pretty authoritative. I was merely speculating.

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

So in essence you are saying that MOCO doesnt care what it's customers are saying?
I'm not implying that at all.

Isn't it a bit strange that the IDS as a retrofit is so quickly available? It's obviously (to me) not something that was searched-out as a way to "fix" a bad design. It has all the earmarks of being the rest of the original which was finally "allowed" to be incorporated. This is a tricky thing to do and I'm sure it wasn't made available until the new model year because it could be construed by some few malcontents as being an admission that there was a problem all along. H-D reserves the right to make changes at any time without incurring obligation. If they were to have tried to get the couple of complainers to shut up by providing them with the IDS earlier-on it might have been "construeable" as incurring obligation. Don't forget that in a company the size of H-D the engineers aren't the ones in contact with the customers. The financial department is solidly in the middle.

Also, in answer to a question about what the IDS is/does you provided a link to a page which for you contains a particular post. It would be better to provide a link to the specific post because, as you may or may not be aware, the number of posts shown per page is configurable. We don't all necessarily have our accounts set up the same as you, so that "page" link is just hit-or-miss.

This site software is really pretty "sucky". The way to obtain the direct link to a post is to click on the "Post #xxx" link at the end of the post. A window should pop up with the information you can cut-and-paste into your reply.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

You know what though Glens? Thanks for teaching me that link - post trick. Now maybe I wont look so retarded. Or maybe not....

Old 08-24-2007, 03:16 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Nice catch,soon to be back under new name.
I think you're implying I'm an H-D shill. If that's the case you're mistaken. I'm merely a currently-between-jobs guy who's enjoying the hell out of his first Harley (first bike in 20 years), and rapidly running out of money. Anybody want to put me to work? I like to think I've got one helluva mind and ain't shabby at all working with my hands.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
TexasSteven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna weigh in on this:

I traded an '06 Ultra for an '07 Ultra. The '06 had a strange "metal on metal" sound in 4th and 5th gear that I never was comfortable with. It wasn't apparent in lower gears. My wife noticed it from the back seat andI always explained it away with "air cooled engines just make more noise than water cooled ones". I was afraid of the '07's due to perceived heat issues.

So I read all I could on '07's and traded. I've been very happy with my decision. The '07 runs much stronger than the '06. It does vibrate more at idle, but power comes on smoother and flatter.Transmission/engine runs quieter at all speedsbut specifically at 75mph and up, you are turning a lot less rpms. I have noticed a minor chatter in either the engine or transmission in 5th and 6th gear. However, neither is a "show-stopper" for me. The pluses outweigh the minuses.

I have, however, noticed that the engine "knocks" slightly in 6th gear at 75mph plus (or a full throttle roll-on). It sounds like the kind of knocking that occurs when you use lower octane fuel (even though I use Branded 93 octane[Shell, Texaco, Chevron, etc.]). Personally, I attribute it to heat. It occurs MOSTLYnear or above 100 degrees (which it is most of the summer in TX) and it is nototicable when the temp gets down to 90 or so. I am considering an oil cooler or at least synthetic oil to lower my oil temp 10-20 degrees or so. I will let you know if it solves the problem. All in all, I can live with a teensy bit of knocking (under controllable circumstances) as long as I know I'm not doing anything wrong to cause it.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?