Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 tranny probs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 tranny probs?

Yes, lets give MOCO some more of our hard earned money for a defect they should be taking care of at their expense, and would if we all band together and boycott the garbage they're building these days. Also, even if this IDS thing works it's just masking the symptoms of a greater problem, and not fixingthe problem itself. If the engine/tranny was within manufactures specifications, like they're suppose to be, they'd be no need for this IDS, louder pipes, heavier oil, turn the radio up, take off the lower fairings, and the list goes on at our expense. Yes, lets take the money we could all spend on legal fees, negative advertisements about MOCO, that would have an effect on MOCO sales, and just maybe get their attention enough to fix these bikes, as should be.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
pete01
Intermediate

I'm not giving them any money. My dealer is installing it free, parts and labor. See previous post by me. You may be correct in that it is masking a problem although I do have the HD extended warranty which covers me for 7 years since last October. If it does break, I am covered. One way or the other, HD will pay to fix it.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:10 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete - I definitly want to hear (no pun intended) how it works out.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 PM
pete01
Intermediate

I'll will post the results as soon as it is installed and I ride it enough till it gets hot enough to clatter. By the way, I know a lot of owners have had the whine in 5th,I never did, just first gear. Oh well!

Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
pete01
Intermediate

Peddler,
See my post # 740.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
pete01
Intermediate

Peddler,
Also post # 739.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Longsnowsm
Advanced

I don't know if the two things are related, but potential buyers may already be boycotting HD with some success either intentionally or unintentionally. HD posted their quarterly results and sales in the US were pretty weak. I don't know if there is a correlation between the issues a lot of people are bringing up about the 07's, but if the company doesn't make it right in the 08's and the sales figures are a reflection of buyers reservations... Well let's just say 08 is going to be a rough year for the company. Also there were reports of over production, and channel stuffing of bikes. This caught everyone by surprise during a quarter that is known to be one of the companies best quarters.

So maybe buyers are in fact staying away right now. I doubt it is out of protest, but it is interesting none the less. I hope we get some reports from 08 owners to see how the new bikes sound and perform.

Longsnowsm

Old 07-20-2007, 09:05 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No noise so far in my SG, but Ill put on some miles this next weekend and see. I heard all the bike brands have seen a slump, so prolly not just a harley thing at the moment.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
RKCustom07
Intermediate

I dunno, Longsnowsm could be right. Almost everyone I run into who asks about my '07, also asks me about the whine and tranny noise. The word is definitely out on the streets. Could be coincidental, but, I think it definitely has something to do with the drop in sales.

I feel really badly for those of you who got the lemons and I feel very blessed to have gotten the bike I got. A little whine in fifth, but nothing as near as bad as what you all are talking about. I bought my bike in March and have close to 4000 on it now.I don't know if it's my mods or the break-in, but the bike seems to just keep getting better. Including the whine.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:53 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those tracking birthdates on the ones that are noisy--my Road King Custom was manufactured June, 2006 and came out of the York, PA plant. I am coming up on the 4400 mile mark now and the noise seems to get louder the more miles I put on it--and is now migrating to 4th gear, which to my knowledge is a helically cut gear. In all sincerity I'm glad to hear you aren't experiencing our issues RK--I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially those of us who saved a long time for our first Harley.

Quick Reply: 07 tranny probs?